Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Advice Needed on First Jeep Purchase

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2

    Advice Needed on First Jeep Purchase

    Hello - I'm new to Jeep and Wayalife. Is it a good idea to wait one model year and purchase a 2021 Gladiator (sport) eco-diesel vs the upcoming 2020 model? In general, i've learned that first-year models tend to have more issues, so is this the case with Jeep as a brand? My end goal is to build up my gladiator for both camping and rock climbing. I'm hooked on the idea of better fuel economy and torque that the diesel has - what are your thoughts? Also, i'm not a fan of a V8 swap as i prefer reliability and torque over horsepower - i think... Do you agree?

  2. #2
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    29,525
    I personally wouldn't buy a diesel with all the extra parts they have nowadays. Too much can go wrong. Diesels used to be awesome.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  3. #3
    Addict Napalm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Flint, TX
    Posts
    5,566

    Advice Needed on First Jeep Purchase

    If you are going with the JL platform(i.e. Gladiator/JL) Iíd for sure stick with the 3.6L Pentastar V6. Like WJCO said, the new diesel has new parts and long term durability/reliability has yet to be determined. While the 3.6 isnít perfect, itís definitely a good motor. Paired with the 8 speed transmission, itís incredible and works well with stock gearing(Rubicon/sport max tow models) up to a 37inch tire.

    Just the DEF system in general turns me off from buying any diesel now days in my opinion!


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #4
    Addict wjtstudios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Rochester, MI.
    Posts
    7,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    If you are going with the JL platform(i.e. Gladiator/JL) Iíd for sure stick with the 3.6L Pentastar V6. Like WJCO said, the new diesel has new parts and long term durability/reliability has yet to be determined. While the 3.6 isnít perfect, itís definitely a good motor. Paired with the 8 speed transmission, itís incredible and works well with stock gearing(Rubicon/sport max tow models) up to a 37inch tire.

    Just the DEF system in general turns me off from buying any diesel now days in my opinion!


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    For sure, the DEF system just adds one more headache. My 18 Ram would go almost 10k on 20 gallons. My 19 only will go 3500 miles on 10 gallons. Itís a total PITA.

    I agree with the guys, 3.6 with the 8 speed is a hard combination to beat.


    2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

  5. #5
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    32,152
    Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    For sure, the DEF system just adds one more headache. My 18 Ram would go almost 10k on 20 gallons. My 19 only will go 3500 miles on 10 gallons. Itís a total PITA.

    I agree with the guys, 3.6 with the 8 speed is a hard combination to beat.


    2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    20 gallons?!?! I hope thatís a typo.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

    2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    1975 DJ5

  6. #6
    Nothing but a Thing nbunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    20 gallons?!?! I hope thatís a typo.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    I think heís talking gallons of DEF fluid.

  7. #7
    Nothing but a Thing Zstairlessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    20 gallons?!?! I hope thatís a typo.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    500 miles a gallon, he must be driving in low range, towing a huge trailer, or doing a butt-ton of idling/running a PTO. Should have better range than that


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    32,152
    Quote Originally Posted by nbunga View Post
    I think heís talking gallons of DEF fluid.
    I know what he was talking about. Thatís why I questioned it. Seems stupid high.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

    2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    1975 DJ5

  9. #9
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    32,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstairlessone View Post
    500 miles a gallon, he must be driving in low range, towing a huge trailer, or doing a butt-ton of idling/running a PTO. Should have better range than that


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Something.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

    2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    1975 DJ5

  10. #10
    Addict wjtstudios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Rochester, MI.
    Posts
    7,153
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    20 gallons?!?! I hope thatís a typo.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Yes sorry 5 gallons, typing one thing and talking about the other. Itís still chugs DEF worse than anything Iíve owned.


    2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-27-2018, 10:56 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:30 AM
  3. Advice needed
    By MSJKU11 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-23-2017, 03:08 AM
  4. Any HAM's out there? Advice needed
    By 2rescue01 in forum General Jeep Stuff
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-28-2014, 04:51 AM
  5. Much needed advice
    By Berzerker in forum General Jeep Stuff
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ďwayoflifeĒ is a moniker that Iíve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS