Looking for advice!

keller828

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and to Jeepin. I have a 2004 Jeep wrangler X. It has a two inch body lift. I want to take the body lift off and put something around 4i nch suspension lift. From what I have read if I want to run 35 inch tires I will need to do a lot more to the axles and gear ratio's? Im not to familiar with mechanical stuff. Im looking for advice on want to do. I want to run 35's with a 4 inch suspension lift. As far as performance I really only want to drive trails and tackle small to medium size obstacles What do y'all think?

Thanks In advance!

4" is a lot of lift for 35" tires. Sounds like the trails you'll be on, you could get by with a 2.5-3" lift paired with a good set of shocks like rancho 9000xl's. axles, really just want c gussets. And upgrade shafts when you bend or break something.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkris

I thought TJs needed more lift for 35s? I could be very very wrong though.

Ok looking back at my old TJ pics I believe it can be done. I had 33s on it. But I believe at or around the 4" mark you might need a slip yoke eliminator and other things. I had a 1" body lift and 2" coils.

Last edited:

keller828

4" is a lot of lift for 35" tires. Sounds like the trails you'll be on, you could get by with a 2.5-3" lift paired with a good set of shocks like rancho 9000xl's. axles, really just want c gussets. And upgrade shafts when you bend or break something.

What kind of axles? or do i just need to upgrade mine? What is a c gussets and what does it do? how do i upgrade shafts? Sorry for all the questions. Im new to the jeep thing and I have never had to work on a vehicle in my life so I dont really know much. Thank you for your help. I think I might need to look at getting a smaller lift.

keller828

I thought TJs needed more lift for 35s? I could be very very wrong though.

Ok looking back at my old TJ pics I believe it can be done. I had 33s on it. But I believe at or around the 4" mark you might need a slip yoke eliminator and other things. I had a 1" body lift and 2" coils.

I have 33 inch tires now on a 2 inch body lift. I feel like their is plenty room for 35s as it sits. I just dont want to hurt my gears. I have to figure out if I have dana 35s or 40s. Something like that? Also whats the difference between a suspension lift and coils?

jkris

Yeah I remember having the same issue. I used the 1 body lift and it played nice after that. It's been a while ago (think 2001) since I did that so it is hard for me to remember exactly.

black pearl

Hooked
I have 33 inch tires now on a 2 inch body lift. I feel like their is plenty room for 35s as it sits. I just dont want to hurt my gears. I have to figure out if I have dana 35s or 40s. Something like that? Also whats the difference between a suspension lift and coils?

This might help identify your axel IMG_4702.JPG

tdans

For a tj you will need a 4 in lift. I ran a Dana 30 and rear Dana 35 for quite a few years with no problem. But if you put lockers in that small of axle you might have issues. A common upgrade to the rear is a ford 8.8 or rubicon Dana 44 axles. I still have an open Dana 30 in the front and have not had any problems. But I think I might just be lucky.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On a TJ, 4" is typically the rule for 35's but I managed to run them with just 3.5" of lift.

LetsGoMuddin

Another option is to run hiline fenders. I have Metalcloak fenders, no lift, and 33s. Poison Spyder and JCR have hiline fender kits as well. It's going to keep the Jeep low and allow you to run larger tires. :thumb:

holliewood61

Heres an lj i picked up back yonder. It has no suspension lift, a 1" body lift to accommodate the motor mount lift and tummy tuck. It is highlined and running 34" tsl's. It has room to run 37's with proper bump stops. Dont be afraid to cut. Im im the process of doing a tj with 35's and no lift, but it will be highlined as well.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zstairlessone

Heres an lj i picked up back yonder. It has no suspension lift, a 1" body lift to accommodate the motor mount lift and tummy tuck. It is highlined and running 34" tsl's. It has room to run 37's with proper bump stops. Dont be afraid to cut. Im im the process of doing a tj with 35's and no lift, but it will be highlined as well. http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/holliewood61/media/FB_IMG_1452838772461.jpg.html Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/holliewood61/media/FB_IMG_1452838765912.jpg.html

I've never used a body lift (not a bad thing - just personal preference) and always assumed motor mount lifts were to accommodate a body lift.

I do love a good LJ! If the JKU had a 2-door option I would own one, nice Jeep.

agiron

I've never used a body lift (not a bad thing - just personal preference) and always assumed motor mount lifts were to accommodate a body lift.

I do love a good LJ! If the JKU had a 2-door option I would own one, nice Jeep.

The body lift allows the engine and tranny angles to stay the same with the engine lift. If you didn't have a body lift the fan would hit the shroud.

keller828

Heres an lj i picked up back yonder. It has no suspension lift, a 1" body lift to accommodate the motor mount lift and tummy tuck. It is highlined and running 34" tsl's. It has room to run 37's with proper bump stops. Dont be afraid to cut. Im im the process of doing a tj with 35's and no lift, but it will be highlined as well.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

That looks awesome! Slowly but surely im getting to where I want to be. I've been thinking about just selling my Wrangler X for a Rubi. That way I dont have to worry about axles as much.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Stock axles for a TJ X are Dana30 up front and Dana 35 in the rear. 35" tires will wear the stock axles out eventually.

Top Bottom