Trying to decide on a new set of tires....

Marauder

So my 35 inch toyo m/t's are at the end of their life and I need to get another set. I am going to go 37's this time around, now that I have a PR44. My question is on a JKU that has armor and gear in it, do I go with another E rated tire or get a D rated tire for a little more flex on the rocks?

I have my eye on the 2 different 37 inch versions of the Toyo M/T.

Last edited:

Journeyman

I'm on my second second of e rated tires on my jku and I've never had a problem with them not flexing/wrapping around rocks etc when aired down. Plus I enjoy the peace of mind having the extra steel belts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
My jeep isnt my dd, but I have got some pretty good life out of them. Anyone run D rated and E rated and have an opinion?

The SST Pro are tempting as well...

Can you really tell the difference between a D & E sidewall? I have The Coopers in E range & think they're fine ride wise. Highly recommend them. This tire is really catching on quick. I'm seeing them all over the place.

White Russian

I just went with the coopers in 37X13.50R17 SST Pros and love them I never even balanced them and there smooth as can be at 80 MPH. I found them online for just over $300 each shipped to my door for free, No one in Denver could beat or even match that price.

Last edited:
J

JKDream

I just went with the coopers in 37X13.50R17 SST Pros and love them I never even balanced them and there smooth as can be at 80 MPH. I found them online for just over $300 each shipped to my door for free, No one in Denver could beat or even match that price.

I envy you Americans and how cheap everything is.
Same tires here are upwards of $600/ea.

thombull

I'm also on my second set of tires in the 37 in. E rated range..... The first was Toyo's and now I went with the Cooper STT Pros and I'm liking everything about them so far.

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I envy you Americans and how cheap everything is.
Same tires here are upwards of $600/ea.

Sounds like you need to make a road trip! :driving:

I've got D range Nitto TGs and they're great. I don't know why you'd need E range unless you're towing a trailer? :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So my 35 inch toyo m/t's are at the end of their life and I need to get another set. I am going to go 37's this time around, now that I have a PR44. My question is on a JKU that has armor and gear in it, do I go with another E rated tire or get a D rated tire for a little more flex on the rocks?

I have my eye on the 2 different 37 inch versions of the Toyo M/T.

To the best of my knowledge, the 37x13.50R17's only come in a Range E and really, that's what I would recommend. Without question, they have the toughest sidewalls bar none and I have run a lot of tires.

Marauder

To the best of my knowledge, the 37x13.50R17's only come in a Range E and really, that's what I would recommend. Without question, they have the toughest sidewalls bar none and I have run a lot of tires.

You are absolutely right. My debate is between the Toyo M/T 37/13.5R17 "E" and its skinner brother 37/12.5R17 "D". I really appreciate your recommendation and the experience that comes with it. I will probably be buying the E rated model with a set of beadlocks.

Pardon my ignorance, but would there be any reason that the "D" would be a poor tire choice for a JKU? Im trying to increase my tire knowledge and you seem like the right person to ask.

madstiles

You are absolutely right. My debate is between the Toyo M/T 37/13.5R17 "E" and its skinner brother 37/12.5R17 "D". I really appreciate your recommendation and the experience that comes with it. I will probably be buying the E rated model with a set of beadlocks.

Pardon my ignorance, but would there be any reason that the "D" would be a poor tire choice for a JKU? Im trying to increase my tire knowledge and you seem like the right person to ask.
D= 8ply softer ride not as durable
E= 10ply harsher ride more durable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

If you want a D Rated buy from Discount Tire get warranty certificates and have peace of mind that if you do mess them up you can get them replaces. ( I'd get certs either way )

onbelay

D= 8ply softer ride not as durable
E= 10ply harsher ride more durable

^^ This

That being said, I have Toyo R/T in 35" and love them. Great on road, great in rain & mud. A slightly more civilized version of the M/T.

Cooper SST is super popular.

Nitto Exograppler would top my list, though, because of the snow rating.

RSQCON

I have a slightly different view on the matter. I would look at it from a clearance issue rather than a sidewall debate. Do you have enough room to turn a 37x13.5" tire without rubbing at full flex? If so than great if not that should answer your question. The second half of the equation being if you damage a sidewall that bad are 2 plies really going to make a difference? Yes it might get you off the trail before you have to change your tire but the extra plies are designed for load carry capacity.

Don't think you can really go wrong with another set of Toyo MTs or the current popular tire, the Cooper.

Marauder

So I decided to go with the 37/13.5r17 Toyo M/T and a set of ATX Slabs. I got a set of Pro Grip Brakes for added stopping power and some Rockstar rear sliders for clearance. I will be stoked when they all arrive.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom