Hitch Mounted Swing Out Tire Carrier

WJCO

Meme King
This thing was built a couple of years ago, but thought I would throw together a build thread. It may help someone else. This really applies to any vehicle with a hitch, and you could even add the swing away tire carrier to any heavy duty bumper with a little bit of fab work. Photo heavy.

I put about 20 hours into this thing. Excuse the crappy welds, regardless the welds are solid. Here's where I started. I had my hi-lift inside the cab forever mounted to the back seat, but I had to move it one day and it was a pain. For how little I use it, I'm keeping it outside the Jeep. I bought an 8 inch hitch extender and built off that. The OEM hitch is too deep under the WJ bumper to come straight up. It says right on the hitch extension to not tow more that 500 pounds (made for a bike rack), but it's solid steel and I may still tow small stuff. FYI, the hitch insert was a sloppy fit, so when it was all done, I welded it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Then I added the 45 degree uprights and did some fine tuning for the jack mount with washers, spacing, etc. I also built a small shelf for the swing arm to sit on so it doesn't sag and put stress on the hinge bearings while it's closed. Then did the latching system, and welded caps on all the open ends of the tubing and two more gussets under the main support attaching to the hitch insert. Added a rubber bushing on the closing shelf to keep down the rattles. Added the latch. Added a stop so when the carrier is open, it doesn't hit the Jeep. Finished the hi lift mount including two small shelves to help distribute the weight and keep any potential bolt bending from happening. I made my own wing nuts, I wanted something big that could be used easily with gloves on.

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

16.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Stop and latch:

210.jpg

211.jpg

Then I finished up the plate lights, paint, etc:

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

310.jpg

311.jpg

411.jpg

412.jpg

After a little bit of time, on certain roads between 40-50mph if the road surface created an oscillation, my tire carrier would oscillate with it. So here's what I did, it is WAY sturdier. Note the part angled down is just for drainage so snow and water don't sit on it.

511.jpg

512.jpg

513.jpg

514.jpg

515.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Then I installed a spring loaded pop pin so that when open, the swing arm stays in one spot. This was especially important on my inclined driveway as it swings back and hits me or gets in my way. I just welded a little shelf and ground it down on one side to act like a ramp. I cut off the existing stop that I had originally put on there from when I first built the carrier.

613.jpg

612.jpg

611.jpg

And here's how it sits today with a 33 inch tire on it:

711.JPG

Last edited:

Rubicon310

WJCO I'm thinking about something like this for my M416 trailer. I want to run 37's on the jeep and 35's on the trailer. This combo would require me to run a spare for the trailer. Unless I ran 35's for the whole set up (jeep & trailer).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No way, you made this thing yourself?? Nice job! I'm gonna have to give the pics a closer look. :thumb:

jesse3638

Hooked
I remember you talking about those pop pins on a previous thread but never saw the whole carrier. It looks good, got to love flux core..;)

WJCO

Meme King
WJCO I'm thinking about something like this for my M416 trailer. I want to run 37's on the jeep and 35's on the trailer. This combo would require me to run a spare for the trailer. Unless I ran 35's for the whole set up (jeep & trailer).

If you can weld, it's pretty easy, just time consuming. A to Z fabrication has a ton of tire carrier build parts including the hinge and bearings. If you're running a 35, you may want to go thicker steel, hard to say, this is all .125 thickness on this one. Total parts for everything was around 200 bucks.

No way, you made this thing yourself?? Nice job! I'm gonna have to give the pics a closer look. :thumb:

Thanks. After the time invested, I do see why custom fab shops have to charge the prices they do. There is a ton of time in measuring and re-measuring, etc. I know you understand based on the time you put into Jane, countless hours.

Wow great job! Welds look good to me. How has it held up over a couple of years?

Thanks. Everything has held up fine. Just for my peace of mind, I regularly check the welds. I did have to re-weld the pop pin. It started coming off a few months ago. I was letting the tire carrier latch itself open instead of assisting it with my hand and it eventually put enough force that one of the pop pin welds cracked. I just made a larger bead and now I help assist it rather than letting it just swing itself.

I remember you talking about those pop pins on a previous thread but never saw the whole carrier. It looks good, got to love flux core..;)

Thanks. I agree, flux core welders are awesome.

WJCO

Meme King

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Nice job! Thanks for sharing :thumb:

I need a welder... and to learn how to use it properly :D

WJCO

Meme King
Nice job! Thanks for sharing :thumb:

I need a welder... and to learn how to use it properly :D

Thanks. It's a great skill to have. I learned from a guy in a suspension shop. Wouldn't say I learned the right way, but enough to mess around with stuff around the home.

youtube goes a long way in that department.

Yep, I imagine nowadays youtube has some good welding tips.

Nice work WJCO! It came out awesome!

So awesome!

Thanks.

Top Bottom