Failed smog test new catalytic converter needed CALIFORNIA Total confusion help

wanderer

OK so here is the story trying re smog my 08 wrangler and the thing fails it says I need a new catalytic converter my tester shows a p0403 code. But the smog technician show it is the catalytic convert. So my service rep give me the number of a muffler shop in Oceanside. I call them they tell me ( and I confirmed this with another shop) that there is finally an aftermarket California specific catalytic converter. for about $400. The dealer even being discounted is $700 plus the dealer has to install it so probably around a 1000 to replace it. The muffler shops say they need the sticker from under the hood to confirm the correct catalytic converter. and the sticker must end in 3.8t my stickers don't end in those letters my stickers have the evap numbers 8crxR018ghh and the group number is 8crxt0231n81. The dealer says there is no such number that ends in the 3.8 the muffler guys say that there is but won't order a new cat unless I confirm it with the mysterious sticker ending in 3.8t

So does anyone have a clue as to if there is such a number with a 3.8t on a sticker under the hood?

I was so frustrated that I looked at new hard rock ruby but as soon as i saw the sticker 50K I figured I'll keep looking.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not sure but sorry for your issues. So tired of the government raping people in the name of the environment.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Ok. As far as I know your dealer doesn't need to install it. A new one from Mopar direct is $950 & you get $200 back when you return yours so $750. Exhausts bolt in pretty easy so I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockyJk

Is your cat making rattling noises? I would fix the EGR code first or take it to another shop and confirm that it actually needs a cat. Unless it's been running with a misfire or you put in additives on your engine I doubt the cat is bad. Those things don't go bad often

Edit: when was the last time you did a tune up? Changing spark plugs and running some seafoam through it will lower down emissions

Last edited:

JRUnlimited

I had the same code pop up, but it was due to a exhaust leak from a cracked manifold. You might check to see if you have an exhaust leak that's triggering the code. Running Seafoam through the engine will tell you if you are.

jesse3638

Hooked

^^^This^^^ I'm very familiar with this subject as Nissan Titans are notorious for having cracked exhaust manifolds. Unfortunately for me my truck was barely outside of this warranty. Here is the link to the CA Air Resources Board's Aftermarket CAT Database. Punching in the info for your jeep does show some options. Weather or not they are in production is another thing. There are 7 or 8 different options for my Titan but only one was actually being manufactured. Going headers and aftermarket on my truck gained me some HP but also saved me close to 2K over a dealer install of OEM manifolds which will break again.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
as others have mentioned, make sure you don't have cracked manifolds - very common or evap issues.

if your cat isn't making a rattling noise chances are it's not the cat, they usually begin to rattle when they're failing (sounds like a marble in a can type rattle)

converters are so expensive because the OEM are a one piece unit - 2 converters

wanderer

excellent thought on the manifold.

I did plugs about 20 k back. I haven't really looked at the manifolds but the thing always sounds like they are cracked. And I know they have cracked in the past.

What is sea foam? and where do I get it?

As of this evening the gasp light just came on whiteout has been doing intermittently but only after I have run through more than a 1/4 of the tank which makes me think it is something else entirely. How often does the evap canister fail. I have a 150k on it but I have the limited lifetime drivetrain warranty which covers the manifolds.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Use this method to pull your codes. Make sure to have a pen & paper ready.

Instructions

1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.
2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes as shown in the pic to the left. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list below to find out what they mean.
3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-‘. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.

JeepFan

Hooked
OK so here is the story trying re smog my 08 wrangler and the thing fails it says I need a new catalytic converter my tester shows a p0403 code. But the smog technician show it is the catalytic convert. So my service rep give me the number of a muffler shop in Oceanside. I call them they tell me ( and I confirmed this with another shop) that there is finally an aftermarket California specific catalytic converter. for about $400. The dealer even being discounted is $700 plus the dealer has to install it so probably around a 1000 to replace it. The muffler shops say they need the sticker from under the hood to confirm the correct catalytic converter. and the sticker must end in 3.8t my stickers don't end in those letters my stickers have the evap numbers 8crxR018ghh and the group number is 8crxt0231n81. The dealer says there is no such number that ends in the 3.8 the muffler guys say that there is but won't order a new cat unless I confirm it with the mysterious sticker ending in 3.8t

So does anyone have a clue as to if there is such a number with a 3.8t on a sticker under the hood?

I was so frustrated that I looked at new hard rock ruby but as soon as i saw the sticker 50K I figured I'll keep looking.

Sure sounds fishy to me. :crazyeyes:

I would look into fixing the EGR code. Second, if there are NO rattles in the exhaust system or cracked manifolds, I would have the O2 sensors tested; A lazy O2 sensor can cause an increase in emissions and is not uncommon for high mileage vehicles.

Another option is to call the Referee program and explain the situation. They may recommend you make an appointment with a local inspection center to sort out the REAL problem. The cost for this is probably reasonable and save you hundreds in the long run. www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Referee/Referee_Centers.html.

Please keep us posted and good luck...

JRUnlimited

I did plugs about 20 k back. I haven't really looked at the manifolds but the thing always sounds like they are cracked. And I know they have cracked in the past.

What is sea foam? and where do I get it?

As of this evening the gasp light just came on whiteout has been doing intermittently but only after I have run through more than a 1/4 of the tank which makes me think it is something else entirely. How often does the evap canister fail. I have a 150k on it but I have the limited lifetime drivetrain warranty which covers the manifolds.

Seafoam is a internal engine cleaner commonly used to burn off oil deposits. One of the after effects is a huge cloud of white smoke out the tail pipe. However, if your exhaust manifold is cracked you'll have a cloud of white smoke coming out of the engine compartment. Check out YouTube for a visual.

You can buy it at most auto supply stores. AutoZone is where I pick it up. Runs around $8 a can.

wanderer

No surfing anywhere else.

I would leave commiefornia.... that place is run by wackjobs that have no idea how the real world works.

Yeah i tend to agree but I surf and have for more than 50 years. so its part of my life I don't wish to leave behind. besides that I am a geologist and well Florida sucks for geology oregon and washing to too cold. lets not mention the easter seaboard at all.

dillard09

Too bad your jeep is outside the 8 years coverage of the federal emissions warranty or the catalytic convertor could have been replaced. I had my catalytic converters replaced due to a Crack between the cats on my passenger side for free!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom