Slow "Build" of Kermit

James_P

What's up all! Going to slowly start and build my newest Jeep, Kermit. Figured it was a good time to document the build and process for this Jeep.

Little background. My names James, I'm located in South Jersey. This is my 3rd Jeep, 2nd JKU. My last JK didn't last long as it had engine issues. I've had a wide array of vehicles, a few Volkswagens, Hondas, Jeeps, Dodges, and a Subaru; all of which had some sort of modifications ranging from wheels/tires to upgraded turbos and full metal wide body work.

I picked up "Kermit" in April of 2016. He's a 2013 JKU Sport with 3.73 gears and auto trans. Nothing to fancy but it was just what I was looking for. I knew I was going to lift it and add tires shortly after purchase. Purchased a Rough Country 2.5" coil spring "lift kit" (I know I know) and 295/70/17 Falken WildPeak mt01's.

Here's Kermit the day I brought him home. Had to take the doors off immediately because I missed it.
IMG_1456 by James Palumbo, on Flickr

Then the following weekend I took him out to some local trails, pretty much just sand with small hills. Took the top off, not sure why I kept leaving the rear doors on? :9lame:
IMG_1466 by James Palumbo, on Flickr

After about a month of ownership, I put some beefier tires on him. Went with Falken WildPeak mt01. They're good tires, do well offroad and on the street. Now I wish I would have went with larger tires, I was trying to be conservative in the beginning. Mistake.
IMG_1577 by James Palumbo, on Flickr

Month or so later a buddy and I made our way out to Rausch Creek for our first time. We stuck to the green trails, it was fun but I was itching for more challenging trails.
IMG_1608 by James Palumbo, on Flickr
IMG_1683 by James Palumbo, on Flickr

Sometime after RC I picked up a bumper for cheap, it fit the bill. Looked better then the stock plastic junk, and had room for future upgrades. Hit up some local trails and did a few of the hill climbs there.
IMG_1867 by James Palumbo, on Flickr

Then I made my way out to RC again. Friend and I loaded up and spent the day doing most of the blue trails. We hit Topless for Tatas trail right away, and eventually made our way to Yellow Jacket. This pictures is from Yellow Jacket, as it was one of the most enjoyable trails I did.
IMG_2188 by James Palumbo, on Flickr

After RC I didn't make it out to do any wheelin for a while. Just drove Kermit everyday and did the occasional wheelin when time allowed. I made my way up to Jackson NJ for some of the trails there. Nothing much changed for Kermit. I did take the rear bumper off, added LED headlights and fog lights, all weather floor mats and a tool storage box in the back. Here's Kermit and I tackling one of the trails in Jackson. I made it down successfully, but going up was a different story. Underbelly got hung up and we seesawed for a second. Better luck next time.
IMG_2340 by James Palumbo, on Flickr

After that, there was no real updates. I recently picked up new coil springs to fix some of the rake when I added the front bumper. Ill keep this thread updated when things happen, and promise that the rest of the pictures wont be taken with a potato.

:beer:

James_P

Thanks everyone. I have some new to me 3" springs to install to hopefully help with the front end rake that happened when I installed my front bumper. Install is going to have to wait till next weekend [emoji19]

I also have a rear frame cap ordered from VKS. I ordered it on 2/28 and haven't heard any info on them shipping it yet [emoji17]

I'll post some pictures of before/after and keep the thread updated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

James_P

Small update, installed my new to me coils, and it actually lowered the front end 1/2" from where it was sitting. So the coils will be coming out for now. Debating on ordering a 1/2" coil spacer, or new coils all together. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

James_P

Seemed to have solved my coil spring issue. Ordered a 3/4" spacer and matched that with the new springs seemed to have leveled out the front end. Ride is a lot better with the new springs. Front end doesn't dive on heavy breaking. Hopefully can get in some wheeling soon to test out the coils.

Also ordered oil pan & evap skid plates, adjustable quick disconnect end links and a sun shade and stubby antenna.

IMG_0345.JPG

Top Bottom