Which locker?

scrota76

I recently had a change of plans to my build. Long story short, the wife said no to my dream. I am going to add a rear locker to the stock Dana 44 on my 2015 JKU Willys.

Couple questions:

ARB or Ox?

If Ox, would you go air, electric, or manual?

I was recently told that Ox may be facing some financial problems and go belly up, anyone hear the same rumor?

Knowing the majority will say ARB because of the reliability, i ask about Ox because the idea of manual locking is appealing. Plus if the cable breaks they have a tool to release and engage it. Just dont want to buy a product if the company is going out of business.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ARB or Ox?

Knowing the majority will say ARB because of the reliability, i ask about Ox because the idea of manual locking is appealing. Plus if the cable breaks they have a tool to release and engage it. Just dont want to buy a product if the company is going out of business.

Actually, strength AND reliability AND a long history of use by countless Jeepers is why a lot of us would recommend ARB.

If Ox, would you go air, electric, or manual?

Being that you're so concerned about a possible break, I'm not sure why you'd consider anything other than a manual setup.

I was recently told that Ox may be facing some financial problems and go belly up, anyone hear the same rumor?

Don't know if the rumors are true or not but it wouldn't be the first time. I wonder why that is.

scrota76

Actually, strength AND reliability AND a long history of use by countless Jeepers is why a lot of us would recommend ARB.

Being that you're so concerned about a possible break, I'm not sure why you'd consider anything other than a manual setup.

Don't know if the rumors are true or not but it wouldn't be the first time. I wonder why that is.
I guess my ultimate question here is:

Are ox lockers as reliable as ARB?

If the answer is no, then the no brainer choice is ARB. I will just add a couple air lines to the jeep go bag and forget about cables and little tools.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If the answer is no, then the no brainer choice is ARB. I will just add a couple air lines to the jeep go bag and forget about cables and little tools.

I don't personally know anyone who runs an OX, not my personal friends or any of my industry associates, so I couldn't tell you if they're reliable or not. That being said, just run a braided stainless steel line and you won't need to worry about melted lines.

Sullivan

I think you know the answer to this question.
Just look at the reliability of all the ARB air lockers out there. I am not shoot down the OX, but you have to know that ARB is going to be the best option. Also, air lines are an really simple fix. So in the grand scheme of this, I would not let an air line be anything to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have ARB and carry a couple extra air lines in my trail bag also. Eventually I'll get the stainless steel airline kit. I've only had one "issue" with arb, if that's what you even want to call it. I had a small air leak from my compressor. Sprayed it with some water and found where the leak was coming from and retorqued.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I had planned on regearing, but when my wife crushed my dreams the 4.56 gears became a tear drop on my cheek.

With that being the case, I'd pick option C. Buy a rear rubi takeoff w/ 3.73s. From my research the can be had for around $1400. Then you could sell your stock 44 w/ LSD for $500.

You'd only be in the hole $900 and you'd jump from 30 spline to 32 spline.

Otherwise, I'd go 35 spline ARB with USA made Revolution axle shafts for $1500.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With that being the case, I'd pick option C. Buy a rear rubi takeoff w/ 3.73s. From my research the can be had for around $1400. Then you could sell your stock 44 w/ LSD for $500.

While that is a good option, I don't think it's one I would personally go with if only because it'd be a lot of trouble to do. There are also significant benefits to sticking with a non-Rubicon rear 44 and mainly that you can upgrade to 35 spline shafts as you have noted and that both passenger and driver side shafts are the same length. If you bend a flange on one, you don't need to get a side specific shaft replacement.

scrota76

I see the logic. But when i see $900 for an ARB, plus (on the high side) $1000 in labor for the install, I'm at around $2000 with a locker and nothing else.

If i go with the replacement rubi rear end, that's more labor intensive, and would probably be in the $2000 range for labor and misc parts. Total bill there is $3000, if im lucky.

To which someone will say, just have a buddy come over and do it yourself. And i will reply...... 1488739011620.jpg I can't even fix the f!@#!ing toilet paper dispenser!

Gadget

Caught the Bug

I've had an ARB in my TJ for around 15 years and the only issue I've ever had was intermittent operation, pulled the fuse, wire brushed it, put it back in and it's been trouble free since. Personally These will always be my first choice.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I see the logic. But when i see $900 for an ARB, plus (on the high side) $1000 in labor for the install, I'm at around $2000 with a locker and nothing else.

If i go with the replacement rubi rear end, that's more labor intensive, and would probably be in the $2000 range for labor and misc parts. Total bill there is $3000, if im lucky.

To which someone will say, just have a buddy come over and do it yourself. And i will reply...... View attachment 246892 I can't even fix the f!@#!ing toilet paper dispenser!

Gotcha. Yeah, my numbers only balance out if the rubi is DIY vs the ARB being a pro install. Otherwise, it isn't logical.

Journeyman

I would trade in for a Rubi before i trade in the wife, but both options would cost way too much money. So, i will keep the woman that i love knowing that she wont change, and keep the Jeep that i love knowing that it wont change, much, when the wife isnt looking.

I've got some Rubi axles under my jku that are getting replaced soon. I'll give you a good deal so you can have both while she's looking [emoji6]

Top Bottom