Backspace Question

AZMikeD

I've been shopping for wheels and was hoping someone might be able to give me advice on backspacing. My local shop said I should be OK with 3.5-4" of backspacing. I was thinking 3.75" would be safe. I don't want the wheels sticking way out but don't want rubbing either. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding an offset that gets me in that 3.5-3.75" backspacing range with or without spacers (I'd prefer no spacers). The best I have found is 8" wheels with 0 offset (4" backspacing). Will 4" of backspacing be enough? I've been shopping at Discount Tire, FYI...

I'm running a Rock Krawler 3.5" lift and am looking at a 315/75/16 tire. I know I'm going to have to do some fender trimming and adjust bumpstops.

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On a TJ, factory is 5.5" of back spacing and typically, 1" wheel spacers will give you the clearance that you need. For a good period of time, I ran 15x8 wheels with 4.5" of back spacing and found them to work well. 4" should work for you without any problems.

WJCO

Meme King
Why so little backspacing? I think most guys here run 4.5 to 4.75. We run 4.75 on ours with 33s, no lift, no issues. It's about the equivalent of running 1.5 spacers on stock rims. Also, why a 16 wheel? 17 is a pretty good size for a JK and also will allow you clearance with a upgraded brakes if you go that way in the future.

EDIT: Didn't see it was a TJ.

AZMikeD

On a TJ, factory is 5.5" of back spacing and typically, 1" wheel spacers will give you the clearance that you need. For a good period of time, I ran 15x8 wheels with 4.5" of back spacing and found them to work well. 4" should work for you without any problems.

Awesome, thanks! Now the tough decision of picking out a wheel. lol :D

Top Bottom