Anyone done Assateague Island, MD

estesd

Going in a couple of weeks. First time doing over the sand driving on a beach. Any driving tips other than airing tires down? Any advice on the area, where to stay, good food to eat? Thanks.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Going in a couple of weeks. First time doing over the sand driving on a beach. Any driving tips other than airing tires down? Any advice on the area, where to stay, good food to eat? Thanks.

Go across the bridge from the island and go into ocean city Maryland. Tons of great restaurants there. Fish tails on 22nd street is amazing and right on the bay

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Biggest tip for sand driving is to maintain momentum but limit wheel spin. And if you feel like you're not making any headway stop and assess the situation before it digs in down to the frame.

Honestly the pictures I've seen of the beaches in Maryland I think you'll be ok but over here we gets lots of soft loose sand and that can be a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

estesd

Thanks for the info and tips. Look forward to my first beach sand wheeling. Will post pictures of my adventure.

WildSideFL

When I was there it was not busy so the sand was packed and not all rutted up. They had an air station right at the exit IIRC but I also had a tank onboard and aired down accordingly. In my FJ, I never felt close to digging a hole. Compared to my time on the Outer Banks in a full size Bronco where the ruts and loose sand were bad, Assateague was pretty simple.

txtumbleweed

https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/osv.htm

Great place - MD side is best, VA side is pretty restricted. Sand conditions can vary, but generally not a problem. Ponies are in the area and sometimes will want to steal your lunch (don't feed them). This time of year it shouldn't be crowded. Check the NPS site for when the ranger station is open for permits.

eossod

It's a really fun trip I camp down there every year at castaways expensive but great place same with frontier town but it's about 5 minutes away from assateauge IMG_3190.jpg IMG_3193.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

estesd

Thanks for all of the great info. Had a great time and saw many wild horses. Did the MD side but couldn't do the VA side even though it was open. A full size dually pickup was buried to the axle in the entrance and the rangers were there as well. Here a picture of my Jeep on its first sand ride. _DSC1560.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom