Rear axle seal

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
How long can I drive in a leaking axle seal? Take it it's hit or miss and depends on if bearings are worn? And spend the 140 on parts or just buy rear shafts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
I drove on mine for about 9 months, so maybe 10,000 miles lol. Depends how bad the leak is. Just keep topping it off with fluid.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I drove on mine for about 9 months, so maybe 10,000 miles lol. Depends how bad the leak is. Just keep topping it off with fluid.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Checked diff fluid. Still full. Wheel has a light coat on it. May be replacing them when I go to Phoenix. 400 miles or so. Or maybe round trip when I get home which is 1500 after driving around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dirtdonthurt

ive been keeping an eye on my rear passenger side seal as well. as of now its a slow seep. 35k and really only a dd hoping to wait till I have to renew my inspection next month and have them do it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While you can drive with a leak for quite some time, there are a few things you need to be aware of. For one, the leaking oil WILL contaminate the lining of your e-brake shoes and if it's bad enough, your brake pads as well. Not a good thing. For two, if you allow your fluid level to drop too low, your axle bearing will become starved of lubricant and can fry. If that happens on the highway, your seized bearing will super heat to the point where they'll cause your shaft to melt off and send your wheel off into a direction all its own as you loose your brakes the control of your Jeep. This is something I have personally seen and my friend is lucky to be alive today after rolling his Jeep 4 times on the interstate.

Not trying to scare anyone here as I too have driven quite a while with axle seal leaks in the past - just posting up facts and sharing what I've seen.

Top Bottom