Clunk on driver side....

psheffern

So i have searched a bunch of steering issue posts on here, but i would like to see what you guys think about a clunk and not just flighty or off steering.......I had the lift in since Jan 7th and the clunk started about a month after, and only after i turned the drag link collar one more turn to straighten my wheel.....coincidence????.....also the clunk happens over bumps, but not all bumps, but happens every time i crank the wheel to the left, like to make a circle, and then back to straight, but does not happen to the right.......almost sounds like i am dislocating a bone and then popping it back in......best audio i can give you lol

'08 101K new Rough Country 3.5" lift with balding 315/70R17's....everything else is stock

So far this is what i have had done, from a 4X4 place near me, or done myself in the last month.........

All 4 ball joints replaced along with passenger side u-joint (they said driver side seemed fine)....shouldve just had them do it....but i digress

Replaced drag link (as it seemed to warp a little they said) with Rubicon Express and flipped it to the top....still using the drop pitman that came with the lift, and the track bar bracket on axle side.....bars seem pretty parallel and can send picture after work

Welded homemade washers from 1/8" steel for the track bar on the frame side as the bolt wiggled around a bit in the original holes

They took off a tie rod from his JK and put it on mine just to rule out the ends, and the clunk was still there, so they put my stock one back on....good guys just trying to help

So our last thought was the steering box.......i mean what else do we have left????

please help because i would rather not spend another $250 on a new box to still have the clunk......if that happens i'm driving it till something breaks...bc then i'll know what the problem was....:cheesy:

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
The adjusting sleeve on your drag link.......are the clamp openings lined up with the seam on the sleeve? If not they can and do loosen even if you tighten then over and over again. Been there myself. I would start there.

I would also make sure all track bar bolts are torqued properly.

Last thing, is it possible the drag link, track bar, or tie rod are hitting your diff cover or each other somehow?

psheffern

The adjusting sleeve on your drag link.......are the clamp openings lined up with the seam on the sleeve? If not they can and do loosen even if you tighten then over and over again. Been there myself. I would start there.

I would also make sure all track bar bolts are torqued properly.

Last thing, is it possible the drag link, track bar, or tie rod are hitting your diff cover or each other somehow?

i have a new Rubicon Express drag link that doesnt have a collar/sleeve........http://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-S...id=R/ERE2610&gclid=CJiHhc_yzNICFUZXDQode6AARw

track bar bolts have been torqued by myself before and after the homemade washers went in and the 4x4 place also went thru the entire jeep, or so they told, and tightened everything

and no, nothing is hitting the diff.....checked that already

Anything else....hahaha

black pearl

Hooked
Maybe put it up on jack stands and have someone turn the wheels back and forth while you are under the jeep and look for movement in parts ... control arms lose maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

psheffern

Maybe put it up on jack stands and have someone turn the wheels back and forth while you are under the jeep and look for movement in parts ... control arms lose maybe?

I can check again, but like I said the shop went through and tightened everything. Now again I wast there to see it happen but I would trust them.

psheffern

Oh and I should said I can "feel" the clunk at my feet. Not like something is physically hitting the floor pan, but I can feel the vibration.

JAGS

Hooked
Did I read it right that you are running a drag link flip AND still running a drop pitman arm?

If so, I'm not sure that wouldn't cause some issues.

I'm the last person to give solid advice, but maybe someone else can chime in on this.

psheffern

Did I read it right that you are running a drag link flip AND still running a drop pitman arm?

If so, I'm not sure that wouldn't cause some issues.

I'm the last person to give solid advice, but maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Yes....I just picked it up from the 4x4 shop last night, that replaced the ball joints and drag link, and that's when I started reading some more and found that I should switch back to the stock one and something about the track bar bracket should be changed out also? I installed a bracket on the axle side to raise that end of the TB but I assume they mean put a bracket on the frame side?? Not sure. This is my first lift.

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
I would try and get factory drag link back in to see if it helps however I also feel that the issue is related to the track bar. Could be frame side bushing is done.

psheffern

I would try and get factory drag link back in to see if it helps however I also feel that the issue is related to the track bar. Could be frame side bushing is done.

Noise happened before the new drag link.

Track bar is tight, and I thought the bushings seemed fine when I took it off to weld the homemade washers....here's a pic of just one end but each side and each end looked exactly like this......
IMG_0354.JPG

WJCO

Meme King
Pull your sway bar links and drive it around the block as well. See if that changes anything.

Top Bottom