Should I buy or should I stay

wanderer

ok well here is the question Should I buy a new one or keep the old one.

The facts
2008 4 door rubicon with auto , 4:10 gears 150,000 on it new transmission at about 80 K
has warn bumper ( very heavy)
winch ( old smitty built works but I don't have confidence in it.)
rock sliders Tuff stuff rear bumper
loc pic behind radio and I run 3 camera 2 from 1 rear running 315 70 17s I don't mind th low power
stock wheels with spacers (maybe a future problem)
ome 4 inch lift, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty monster and lower control arms Terraflex
800 watt inverter hard wired under the passenger seat. bract set cover and front driver seat is heated.
also has a trans cooler on the radiator.

What it needs the passenger manifold is cracked so it needs anew one. That will be on Jeep as it has a limited life time power train warranty
may need a new steering box,
probably new wheels to get away from spacers leather seat covers as a minimum probably new seats
the aluminum hinges are staring to show some oxidation under the paint
The windshield wiper pump hasn't got he juice to hit the windshield anymore
some paint chips by the rock sliders
needs decent headlights
and just because it is 9 years old there will likely be some other stuff.

VS
New jeep hard rock or recon
advantages
Can run 35 with out lift, new motor and transmission
has winch ready bumper
leather heated seats
heavy duty tire carrier
On the recon stronger beefed up axles

The purpose is I like to explore often alone, and use it mostly for overlanding and usually don't need all the capabilities that my Jeep has but I like to be prepared and have confidence I can handle what ever happens to be on route within reason I don't take unnecessary risks. Ultimately i would like to get a rtt of a j130 and do more camp trips and I was going to pull the rear seat and set up storage and sleep areas.

My dilemma is this: On the old 3.8 I would be concerned about breaking down in a significant way IE motor going , trans going etc.

on a new one no worries, but $51000http://wayalife.com/images/icons/icon13.png

the stress factor is
Worry about breaking down out on a trail vs monthly stress over new payment, which could be like 500 plus easy. and the new ones don't have that great of a warranty only 60,000

So I would like to hear from on your thoughts on the matter pros cons etc.
because when you are in the middle of a dilemma sometimes you miss thinks that others not in the dilemma may see. Thanks

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I just did this. In my opinion it was worth it. I've been wanting a 4 door so the switch made sense. 4 door rubicon is a great platform to start from, new everything for those solo trips, selling the old JEEP = money for new build.
Edit - it depends on your situation though. I don't have kids or really any real bills so a car payment is no a big deal to me right now. Ymmv

GraniteCrystal

Keep what you got, and put the money into it if you like. Monthly payments suck. Mods you can do at your own pace without creditors chasing you down (assuming you pay cash as you should).

GraniteCrystal

I just did this. In my opinion it was worth it. I've been wanting a 4 door so the switch made sense. 4 door rubicon is a great platform to start from, new everything for those solo trips, selling the old JEEP = money for new build.
Edit - it depends on your situation though. I don't have kids or really any real bills so a car payment is no a big deal to me right now. Ymmv
OP already has a 4 door Rubicon

WJCO

Meme King
Keep what you got, and put the money into it if you like. Monthly payments suck. Mods you can do at your own pace without creditors chasing you down (assuming you pay cash as you should).

I agree with this as well. No payments. Fix/mod as needed.

wanderer

reliability on the 3.8 with high mileage

What do you think about that ? is it a concern? 150 k on the old 3.8 which as you all know burns oil. although I look at that as a kinda continuous oil refresh/change about a quart every 1000 miles = 5 quarts per 1000 which equal 1 oil change and then I change th oil and filters every 3000- 5000. so Thoughts?

sparks

Perhaps a new'ish used, certified pre-owned you can get the max care lifetime warranty added? Save a few grand and get the piece of mind knowing it's under warranty forever ?

Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

I'd keep it. Run the motor until the heads crack and fall off, and then drop an LS and keep running it. New vehicles look cool on the surface but buying one essentially starts you back over with what you just finished.

Keep it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Shantz

Run it till it dies, then get a heart transplant. I'm in the same boat. I have an 07 with 200,000 miles... just keep replacing shit with better shit. You can spend $3000/yr on mods and replacements... still less the $500/mo for a car payment.

Sent By Morse Code

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I traded my 09 for my 13. The 13 is nicer and more comfortable interior, but I often wish I would have gone the LS route. I miss my grey interior over the black though.

I'm still happy with the new one.

naysjp

Keep it, it's paid for. Your talking to someone who had their last Jeep for 10 yrs and would still be driving it considering circumstances. I'm into my 3rd year of payments on my '14 and mods are real slow but they're paid for with cash.

JRUnlimited

I have over 180k on my 3.8 and it's still running strong. Most expensive repair so far was replacing the steering gear box. Everything else has been fairly minor. New seal here, new exhaust manifold there.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I also agree with everyone. Keep it and fix and replace with better. It is yours free and clear. I also agree that I would rather make payments on a LS swap then a brand new Jeep. I have a 2010 with 120K on it and it is running strong. the only major repairs have been a water pump at 110K and an exhaust manifold at 89K, which was covered under my extended warranty. Oh, I forgot also had the clock spring replaced under warranty.

I too was in the same place with my 08 JKU with 220,000KMS last summer. I returned to the dealer I purchased it at, their trade in offer was very fair, much to my surprise, and for the first time I've ever seen such a think, 0% finance on the wrangler out to 60 months if you wish. I went for it, now I have a 2016 2door.

I hate interest, maybe run what you have with minimal work as needed....when the JL is introduced I would think there will be some deals to be had.

No complains with my 08, the 3.8 sipped oil even after being rebuilt, the 42RLE was livable with the 33s. It was had to trade her in, but I'm happy....everyone's situation is a bit different then the next Jeeper

Good luck

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom