Radiator Replacement OEM or Aftermarket

chinrock

So I am 1,000 miles away from home and I get a small crack in the plastic housing of my radiator on my 09 Jku rubicon, I used some jb plastic weld to hold me over till I can get back home my question is should I go with an OEM radiator or spend the extra money and get a mishimoto performance aluminum radiator? IMG_0179.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Can't comment on what you should buy, but can say keep an eye on that JB weld between now and the time you get home. I'm used JB weld twice for radiator repairs and it isn't ideal once the cooling system builds pressure. Good luck.

JeepFan

Hooked
Recently replaced my original leaking radiator on my '09 JK with a factory replacement. Cheap insurance in my book...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Radiator

I wish the OE radiator wasn't plastic I like that all the connections on the aluminum one is metal

Me too but I haven't heard too many good things about the Mishimoto.

While yours may have gone out prematurely, most OE radiators last a long time. Easily 100k or more. At least for me anyway.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

JRUnlimited

Mine went out last summer. Found a inexpensive oem replacement, very simular to the mopar one, on Amazon and had a local shop install it for me.So far it's worked fine.

JeepFan

Hooked
Factory replacement radiator hoses come with new clamps.

My factory radiator lasted 128000 miles. Why not use an OE replacement?

chinrock

Can't comment on what you should buy, but can say keep an eye on that JB weld between now and the time you get home. I'm used JB weld twice for radiator repairs and it isn't ideal once the cooling system builds pressure. Good luck.

What would you recommend instead of jb weld? Atleast to get me home

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I just replaced mine and have 118,000 on my jeep. I just went with a factory replacement from Quadretec. I would not replace anything that does not need replacing. I also did it myself. Youtube is awesome and found a video on it. Just remember to take the 4 bushing off of old and put to new.

Here is the one.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_6217_07.htm

chinrock

Is it leaking bad? Take some extra coolant and watch the reservoir.

When the engine was running it was spraying out pretty bad after the first coat of jb weld that I wasn't able to apply properly since I was in the parking lot of a quaker steak and lube for dinner I just slapped it on where I could see, when I got back I noticed I had missed the very top of the crack so I put some more jb weld on and hopefully this morning it holds, I don't really want to have to replace the radiator in 15 degree weather

catahoula

Caught the Bug
When the engine was running it was spraying out pretty bad after the first coat of jb weld that I wasn't able to apply properly since I was in the parking lot of a quaker steak and lube for dinner I just slapped it on where I could see, when I got back I noticed I had missed the very top of the crack so I put some more jb weld on and hopefully this morning it holds, I don't really want to have to replace the radiator in 15 degree weather

Man, I hear and feel for you. Can you find an automotive or marine epoxy? Any auto store, Lowe's or Home Depot type should have. Seeing how it is still early try a truck stop? Good luck you.

jeeeep

Hooked

problem with JB weld for radiators is it needs to sit for a minimum of 24 hours - no idea if the cold weather slows the curing process

chinrock

problem with JB weld for radiators is it needs to sit for a minimum of 24 hours - no idea if the cold weather slows the curing process

Yea that's what I read last night after I got it back to the hotel, I need to find something that will set somewhat quick and in the cold temp, my jeep isn't use to this cold weather it's a southern jeep [emoji23]

jeeeep

Hooked
I think Permatex makes a radiator repair kit that sets up faster but - I think the temperature will still be an issue

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Time to crack an egg ;)

I'd try a few layers off 5 min epoxy.. load up the crack let it dry, then another and another, making the coverage area bigger every time.

Top Bottom