Antifreeze dumped out after shut off...

hobbz

2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 auto with 40k miles

My wife was out in the jeep today, and when she got home and shut it off, antifreeze dumped out from somewhere, maybe a half gallon or so. When I got home, I looked for where it came from and couldn't find anywhere. The reservoir was almost empty and the radiator was a little low. I checked the oil, and it was low, like a quart and a half, I filled it up, filled the radiator, and then started the jeep up and let it run for 10-15 minutes, engine got to operating temp and stayed there. Shut it back off and no leaks anywhere. Next I had her drive it around for about 15 minutes and when she came back, shut it off, and again no leak. So I am lost as to what it is. Anyone have any ideas?

BigBoy

Yep you over heated and it puked from the path of least resistance. Either overflow or radiator cap pressure release most likely. Low oil could have been the cause but might want to check thermostat, water pump or fan clutch are in good working order too.

hobbz

Just to make sure did you put the right mopar coolant back in the rad when you refilled it? It's pretty important that you do

ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=13239
No, I just used distilled water as I didn't want to spend the $ on the coolant if I was just going have to drain it again.

Something I also forgot to mention is we just trailered the jeep from KY to Denver which is nearly 5000' higher in elevation. Could this have had something to do with it?

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app

whatroads

Our 2012 wrangler did the same thing. I ended up replacing the thermostat. No problems since. Apparently, the 2012's had an issue with the thermostats, (in the US anyway).

Top Bottom