Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hauling my Jeep

Nothing but a Thing 13_gecko_rubi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSQCON View Post
    Congrats.

I've asked 4+ dealers for a quote on a PB B6 102"w x 22' and I'm getting quotes for $8-10k. Granted I have anywhere from $1000 to $1500 in upgrade but still seems a little pricey.
    That's crazy. Mine was just over 4 new with 5k axles in 15. What other upgrades are u getting?

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Here's the thing I need a trailer long enough to fit a crew cab long bed truck so a 9900gvw trailer won't cut it. So that's why I'm looking at something 22' long with a minimum 14,000gvw.

Here are the specs on the trailer I'm looking at:
    PJ B6 Superwide Buggy Hauler
    6" channel frame
    22' long
    102" wide
    3' 6" dovetail w/ mini monster ramps
    Dexter 7k torsion axles w/ electric brakes
    welded D rings
    winch plate
    tan powdercoat w/ black wheels
    spare tire w/ mount
    tongue mounted tool box

Think that's it. Best quote I've got was $8200. The upgrade to 8k oil bath torsion axles put the trailer close to $10k.

Been Around the Block Tumbleweed's Avatar
    I don't believe I would want torsion axles on a car or truck hauling trailer.
    Here's my reasons.
    1) Because a typical spring suspension will equalize the cargo weight between the 2 axles. Torsion axles will not.
    2) The vehicle you are hauling on the trailer will have its own suspension. Therefore the rougher ride of a leaf sprung suspension will not harm the cargo vehicle. Dexter Axle makes a cushioned equalizer that will smooth out the bumps a bit. It's greaseable, too. AND very heavy duty shackles.
    '11 JK Silver 2 Door-ACE bumpers-37" Toyo Open Country MTs-Smittybilt sliders-Warn 10K Zeon Winch-3" lift front -4.5" JKU lift rear-Fox shocks-AEV heat reduction hood-ProRock 44-ARB lockers-5.13 gears-RubiCrawler-RCV Axles-Poison Spyder Crusher Flares-EVO Rock Skins-M.O.R.E. Battery Tray-Odyssey dual batteries-ProGrip Brakes-PSC Hydro Assist

I am dead set on torsion axles. They are the equivalent of having independent suspension and will provide a smoother ride than leaf springs will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    I don't believe I would want torsion axles on a car or truck hauling trailer.
    Here's my reasons.
    1) Because a typical spring suspension will equalize the cargo weight between the 2 axles. Torsion axles will not.
    2) The vehicle you are hauling on the trailer will have its own suspension. Therefore the rougher ride of a leaf sprung suspension will not harm the cargo vehicle. Dexter Axle makes a cushioned equalizer that will smooth out the bumps a bit. It's greaseable, too. AND very heavy duty shackles.
    I agree with Tumbleweed. Nice explanation

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Willys / 1949 CJ3A
    Autumn Yellow
    2.2 Ecotec to th350
    HEMI / 2011 JKUR
    Sahara Tan
    UNNAMED / 2012 JKR
    Ruby Red

Been Around the Block Tumbleweed's Avatar
    I am dead set on torsion axles. They are the equivalent of having independent suspension and will provide a smoother ride than leaf springs will.
    Your money, your trailer.
    After you've driven the trailer and stopped for a pit stop, put your hand on the sidewall of the front, then rear tire. Feel the difference? Your bearings and brakes will be different temps too. Tires will have a tendency to blow out on the overloaded axle.
    '11 JK Silver 2 Door-ACE bumpers-37" Toyo Open Country MTs-Smittybilt sliders-Warn 10K Zeon Winch-3" lift front -4.5" JKU lift rear-Fox shocks-AEV heat reduction hood-ProRock 44-ARB lockers-5.13 gears-RubiCrawler-RCV Axles-Poison Spyder Crusher Flares-EVO Rock Skins-M.O.R.E. Battery Tray-Odyssey dual batteries-ProGrip Brakes-PSC Hydro Assist

First off you shouldn't need to add a kit like that in order to equalize the load over 2 or 3 axles. I am very familiar with towing and have towed mylitiple configurations. This car hauler will be on the smaller side of what I usually tow. Many people feel the need for kits like you posted for a variety of reasons like having a truck that is lifted and a trailer that doesn't sit level or people that don't properly distribute the weight of the cargo. Both those issues will be addressed including tongue weight. For those reasons and a few others that I will address I think torsion axles are the way to go for me. I do appreciate the input!

First off you shouldn't need to add a kit like that in order to equalize the load over 2 or 3 axles. I am very familiar with towing and have towed mylitiple configurations. This car hauler will be on the smaller side of what I usually tow. Many people feel the need for kits like you posted for a variety of reasons like having a truck that is lifted and a trailer that doesn't sit level or people that don't properly distribute the weight of the cargo. Both those issues will be addressed including tongue weight. For those reasons and a few others that I will address I think torsion axles are the way to go for me. I do appreciate the input!
    All tandem and tried axle spring trailers come with axle equalizers, the ones he is showing are simply nicer riding ones.

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234