Clunking noise coming from front axle passenger side

TFD

I've been trying to track down a clunking noise in the front end of my JK and think I've figured out the location.
I've torqued all of the suspension components to spec. I then jacked up the front end so the tires were a couple inches off the ground and checked ball joints and unit bearings for play. Everything is solid. After that, I spun the front wheels and can hear a clunking noise from inside the axle tube pretty close to the u joint on the passenger side shaft. It seems like the u joint is fine.
Do I have a bent or damaged passenger side axle shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ditterdame

I have the exact same problem on my 2014 jk. Only it's in the back drivers side :(
It's been progressively worsening over the past 12 mo. Now going into the shop for a FIX
But I had checked all the above that you mentioned...
Will keep you posted

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

J

JKDream

I've been trying to track down a clunking noise in the front end of my JK and think I've figured out the location.
I've torqued all of the suspension components to spec. I then jacked up the front end so the tires were a couple inches off the ground and checked ball joints and unit bearings for play. Everything is solid. After that, I spun the front wheels and can hear a clunking noise from inside the axle tube pretty close to the u joint on the passenger side shaft. It seems like the u joint is fine.
Do I have a bent or damaged passenger side axle shaft?

What size tires are you running?
Based on it clunking and not clicking - I'd be more concerned about a bent axle tube than a shaft.

TFD

Anyone here running a ProRock 44 housing for Rubicon's? I figure I could save some money transferring the internals over since I'm running 4.88 gears and my factory locker still works.

tgoss

Anyone here running a ProRock 44 housing for Rubicon's? I figure I could save some money transferring the internals over since I'm running 4.88 gears and my factory locker still works.

I currently run a PR44 Unlimited set up for rubicon internals. Extremely nice axle housing and yes you just transfer everything over.

TFD

I currently run a PR44 Unlimited set up for rubicon internals. Extremely nice axle housing and yes you just transfer everything over.

Thanks for the quick response. I have a new set of ten factory shafts for the Dana 44 sitting in my garage. Will those transfer over to the PR44?

tgoss

Thanks for the quick response. I have a new set of ten factory shafts for the Dana 44 sitting in my garage. Will those transfer over to the PR44?

Yeah, if they are direct replacement for rubicon shafts absolutely. I run RCV's with no issues just for reference.

Top Bottom