Shifting from 4low to 4hi

gheller

Just curious, I've been using 4lo a lot with my manual tranny when getting into and out of deep snow parking spaces. It helps with a manual to use 4 lo to prevent excessive clutch use to control wheel spin/speed.

When shifting back from 4lo to 4hi, going about 1-2mph and clutch pedal down(clutch disengaged) I get a slight gear mesh sound and wondering if this is normal.

It doesn't sound too bad but I'd like to think that there should be a totally smooth transition.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Frydaddy

From 4lo to 4hi you have to go through neutral. I don't think theres a syncro between those two gears, so you should be in neutral and stopped to do this.

Now 4hi and 2hi is recommended to move slow for a smoother mesh, plus there is a syncro between those gears.

gheller

Thanks, I see in the manual where it says shifting from 4lo and 4hi can be made while stopped but they recommend rolling at about 2-3 mph for a smoother mesh.

Last time I tried while stopped it went smoothly, but I thought it was recommended to be moving. I think I'll continue doing it while stopped unless it just isn't meshed then I'll have to roll a bit.

Shifting from 2hi and 4hi is always smooth and can be done up to about 50mph.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

You should be stopped to shift from Lo to hi or hi to Lo. No synchro and gear speeds are massively different

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, more convenient that way for sure and worked best for me. The recommended rolling method (as per the Owners Manual) always give me that slight meshing noise which although not severe make me cringe.

Thanks for the knowledge.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
You can definitely do it while moving very slowly but you will pretty much always get some light grinding. As long as you don't have your foot on the brake while stopped it will always go in smooth

gheller

From 4lo to 4hi you have to go through neutral. I don't think theres a syncro between those two gears, so you should be in neutral and stopped to do this.

Now 4hi and 2hi is recommended to move slow for a smoother mesh, plus there is a syncro between those gears.

The Owners Manual makes no mention of this (4 hi to 4 lo) but the Users Guide state that when shifting from 4hi to 4 lo one should do it without pausing in the neutral position at all.
The first time I used 4lo I did go from 4 hi into neutral and then 4 lo (while stopped) and it went very smoothly.

I think I'll continue doing it while stopped and not sweat it.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
With a manual you should be in neutral when shifting from 4hi to 4lo and stopped. You should not be moving at all. My manual 2 door won't even shift into 4lo when I'm moving at all. Why would you want to hear the gears grind, even a little? :thinking:

gheller

Well that's why I posted the thread, to find what others are doing because I found it shifted best while stopped as opposed to what the Owners Manual recommended.
As long as the clutch is disengaged I don't have to be in neutral.

JeepJeep75

Geez, every answer is different. So here's another variation. In my manuel, I get the smoothest 4hi to 4lo shifting by rolling about 2-3 mph, clutch in, AND trans in neutral. I was always grinding too until I tried doing in moving, and trans in neutral.

Top Bottom