Ball joints

RollingThunder89

Hello buds, I have a question and would appreciate your opinions. I'm looking for some HD ball joints because I'm running 35's. I'm considering the synergy or alloy USA brands.

I like synergy for the reasons that (1st) they are American made (2nd) I feel like they have a great reputation so everyone has them. But I don't like the 12 month limited warranty.

I like the alloy USA because they are also American made and (2nd) they have 5 year limited warranty.

Is anyone currently running either if these on there rig? If so, how do you like them so far?

And lastly do you guys know where I can get them for a good price. I know both run for about 200$ but a coupon or discount always helps 😉

Sent from my E6790TM using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Honestly if you're looking for HD ball joints, many members here will recommend Dynatrac ProSteers. Many members here have run both of those joints that you listed and later switched to the Dynatrac ones, they have a reputation of lasting much longer

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hate to burst your bubble but Synergy and Alloy USA ball joints are NOT made in the USA. To the best of my knowledge, both are made by the same manufacturer in China. If you want to go that route, you might want to give the Crown HD joints a look as they are the same joint only a bit more affordable.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly if you're looking for HD ball joints, many members here will recommend Dynatrac ProSteers. Many members here have run both of those joints that you listed and later switched to the Dynatrac ones, they have a reputation of lasting much longer

These are 100% made in the USA. They are what I would recommend but they do come with a heftier price tag.

RollingThunder89

Hate to burst your bubble but Synergy and Alloy USA ball joints are NOT made in the USA. To the best of my knowledge, both are made by the same manufacturer in China. If you want to go that route, you might want to give the Crown HD joints a look as they are the same joint only a bit more affordable.
Wow I thought they were. Not gonna support some Chinese Communist. Thanks for the heads up 🇺🇸

Andy5160

Hooked
As stated above the most recommended option is Prosteers which is on top of my list however I have a question to WAYALIFE and WJCO and off course other members. Few days ago I saw Skyjacker brand while researching ball joint options raised in another thread. The price is higher then Prosteers the only question comes to mind is it worth it and what is the major difference between the two.
Thank's

RollingThunder89

As stated above the most recommended option is Prosteers which is on top of my list however I have a question to WAYALIFE and WJCO and off course other members. Few days ago I saw Skyjacker brand while researching ball joint options raised in another thread. The price is higher then Prosteers the only question comes to mind is it worth it and what is the major difference between the two.
Thank's
I too saw those a nice pretty shiny red and sliver. Hummm 😐

WJCO

Meme King
Thank's

I too saw those a nice pretty shiny red and sliver. Hummm 😐

I honestly don't know anything about them, but I found this thread which doesn't shed much info on them:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?38786-Skyjacker-dual-load-carrying-ball-joints

silverbullet88

I wouldn't just run out and buy some if you don't need them. If yours have no play then there not going to magically explode and fall out. I have a pair of HD ball joints sitting in my garage. I check for play periodically and keep driving along.
I also run 35's.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't just run out and buy some if you don't need them. If yours have no play then there not going to magically explode and fall out. I have a pair of HD ball joints sitting in my garage. I check for play periodically and keep driving along.
I also run 35's.

Now that is smart ! [emoji122] I have a set of ProSteers siting in my garage also. I do need to change them out because I have a little play on diver side, also annoying squeak that comes and goes. Hopefully next sat I will get to it.

For the OP
I am at 47k miles on my stock ball joints, almost 20k of those are with 37's. They lasted quite a while. Just like silverbullet mentioned I would keep a set on hand and replace when time comes.

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

RollingThunder89

I also run 35's.

I get a shake, vibration, shimmy, or what ever you want to call it when I am driving on the highway. This only happens between the speeds of 55-60 mph, anything after and before those dreaded speeds the ride is smoother than can be. I would hate to be going 55 mph and develop DW. 80% of the time I'm on the 91, 57, and/or 5 freeway since I do live in SoCal. My Jeep is my DD and I want to feel safe and comfortable when I drive on the pavement or off road. Because as you already know you can't put a price on piece of mind since you have spare ball joints just laying around collecting dust.

With that said thank you for your input. [emoji4]

silverbullet88

I get a shake, vibration, shimmy, or what ever you want to call it when I am driving on the highway. This only happens between the speeds of 55-60 mph, anything after and before those dreaded speeds the ride is smoother than can be. I would hate to be going 55 mph and develop DW. 80% of the time I'm on the 91, 57, and/or 5 freeway since I do live in SoCal. My Jeep is my DD and I want to feel safe and comfortable when I drive on the pavement or off road. Because as you already know you can't put a price on piece of mind since you have spare ball joints just laying around collecting dust.

With that said thank you for your input. [emoji4]

That shimmy could be a lot of things! Sounds like a tire weight to me.

Use the ol floor jack and pry bar/ shovel method to check out your BJ's. And wheel bearings while your at it.

JKbrick

Use the ol floor jack and pry bar/ shovel method to check out your BJ's. And wheel bearings while your at it.

The play must be very hard to see by just looking. I fought dw all summer last year and tried that method. With only 13,500 miles all on stock tires I kept telling myself it wasn't ball joints. I finally gave up and took it apart and the lower ball joints were just hanging there all floppy and loose. Pro steers seemed to have fixed it

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

RollingThunder89

I got 2 different​ tire shops to align and balance my tires/wheels, Allen tires and discount tires. So I'm assuming it's safe say that the tires and wheels are properly balanced.

I got a question for you my fellow community member which HD ball joints do you have waiting to be installed?

RollingThunder89

The play must be very hard to see by just looking. I fought dw all summer last year and tried that method. With only 13,500 miles all on stock tires I kept telling myself it wasn't ball joints. I finally gave up and took it apart and the lower ball joints were just hanging there all floppy and loose. Pro steers seemed to have fixed it

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
You and I although I've only been fighting DW for about 6 months. Thanks for your input 😀

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I got 2 different​ tire shops to align and balance my tires/wheels, Allen tires and discount tires. So I'm assuming it's safe say that the tires and wheels are properly balanced.

I got a question for you my fellow community member which HD ball joints do you have waiting to be installed?

I had shimmy caused buy improper tire balance. I always go to sucking tire for rotation and balancing. It really depends who does it, one I had college student balance my tires and he didn't really do a good job (caused shimmy between 50-60mph) Went back to rebalance by a veteran employee and just that alone almost took care of the shimmy.

As far as you ball joints I would make sure that that is a cause of your problem (shimmy)
Like others mention shimmy or DW can be caused by many different things.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke.... but keep a set in hand when it's time do replace.

Edit:
Discount tires not sucking tires lol, fucking autocorrect

MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

silverbullet88

I have the Teraflex HD balljoints( non knurled)I have 53k miles on my stockers. No play and no weird vibes etc.

I'll give the TF's a try eventually. Good reviews for them. It was between those and synergy's which had a lot of negative reviews. If I could go back I would probably just buy prosteers but I didn't know much back when I bought them.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I have the Teraflex HD balljoints( non knurled)I have 53k miles on my stockers. No play and no weird vibes etc.

I'll give the TF's a try eventually. Good reviews for them. It was between those and synergy's which had a lot of negative reviews. If I could go back I would probably just buy prosteers but I didn't know much back when I bought them.

Did you install those yet. I read reviews saying that you will have clearance issues with your axle shafts if you have a Rubicon because the shafts are beefier than d30. They want you to grind the shafts down at the u joint to allow clearance for the lower ball joint.
I also looked at those and that was a reason I didn't get them because I didn't want to deal with that.

Top Bottom