Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: AUtomotive news on JT and RAM platforms

  1. #1
    Been Around the Block frenchjk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Saint-Tropez, France
    Posts
    345

    AUtomotive news on JT and RAM platforms

    A little more info on The JT and what is going on at FCA. (Might be redundant with other info)

    http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...-ram-platform?
    Just a 2.8 four banger diesel Jk Sahara with aev 2.5 dualsport xt lift and premium bumper and Cooper ST MAxx tires in 33"......

  2. #2
    Nothing but a Thing JK_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchjk View Post
    A little more info on The JT and what is going on at FCA. (Might be redundant with other info)
    IMO, FCA won't build it on the Ram platform. They need a Toyota Tacoma competitor. It's easier to expand the new JL frame than it is to shrink the Ram's frame to fit.

  3. #3
    Troncalli Jeep Representative longarmwj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cumming, Ga
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by JK_Dave View Post
    IMO, FCA won't build it on the Ram platform. They need a Toyota Tacoma competitor. It's easier to expand the new JL frame than it is to shrink the Ram's frame to fit.
    I've never thought about the JL taking on the Tacoma and Frontier. With Ford bringing the Ranger back it makes sense though
    Captain Imachurity
    "Jebidiah" 2003 WJ with some stuff. Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread

  4. #4
    Nothing but a Thing JK_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    I've never thought about the JL taking on the Tacoma and Frontier. With Ford bringing the Ranger back it makes sense though
    The midsize market is hot right now. As much as we'd like to think they're making the JT for clamoring enthusiasts, it's more likely to steal share from the Tacoma and Colorado.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #5
    Troncalli Jeep Representative longarmwj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cumming, Ga
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by JK_Dave View Post
    The midsize market is hot right now. As much as we'd like to think they're making the JT for clamoring enthusiasts, it's more likely to steal share from the Tacoma and Colorado.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    If they produce a mid sized truck with a solid front axle, it will sell to midsized truck buyers AND Jeep enthusiasts alike. That could be a best seller if they did it right
    Captain Imachurity
    "Jebidiah" 2003 WJ with some stuff. Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread

  6. #6
    Fresh Catch JOHN73738's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    40
    I may not get my Rubicon on the trail very much, however I know that the Wrangler is a popular off road platform because it can get into tight places. Size it like a ram 1500 and you lose that capability. No thanks for me. Size it like a Wrangler Unlimited with a bed instead of the back seats and I am in.

    Just my $.02

  7. #7
    Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Falls, MT
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by JK_Dave View Post
    The midsize market is hot right now. As much as we'd like to think they're making the JT for clamoring enthusiasts, it's more likely to steal share from the Tacoma and Colorado.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    in 2016 my wife and i decied to ditch the full size silverado we had and get a mid size truck the Colorado was definitely more catered for the luxury stuff with more fancy gadgets and leather and had a few thousand dollar higher price tag than the Tacoma i ended up buying. I mostly went with the Tacoma because i wanted the TRD off road with the rear locker and the 6 speed manual that i couldnt get with the colorado and it was about 6G cheaper. I really hope the new JT can bust into the market and be the best of both worlds like a JT rubicon with stock lockers sway bar disco the 4-1 tcase and leather it would perfect! I just hope they dont tag on a huge price tag. A JT rubicon would seriously make me consider trying to convince my wife to swap the tacoma for one, but i have a feeling its going to be over 40G and i only payed 34 for my brand new tacoma. Seeing as the JKUR Hard rock already has a starting price around 43k i have a feeling the tacoma will still run strong to the average mid size truck buyer but for jeep enthusiasts with the extra money to spend it should crush the Colorado. Im sure they will have the sport and sahara versions that will be more comparable in price to the Taco though.
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    Cooper Stt Pro 295/70/17 ATX 195 17x9, 4Dr Rubi suspension, Rubi Swaybar w/EVO manual no limits, Rubi T case, EVO 1/4lb, Warn Powerplant 9.5

    ***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed

  8. #8
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    in 2016 my wife and i decied to ditch the full size silverado we had and get a mid size truck the Colorado was definitely more catered for the luxury stuff with more fancy gadgets and leather and had a few thousand dollar higher price tag than the Tacoma i ended up buying. I mostly went with the Tacoma because i wanted the TRD off road with the rear locker and the 6 speed manual that i couldnt get with the colorado and it was about 6G cheaper. I really hope the new JT can bust into the market and be the best of both worlds like a JT rubicon with stock lockers sway bar disco the 4-1 tcase and leather it would perfect! I just hope they dont tag on a huge price tag. A JT rubicon would seriously make me consider trying to convince my wife to swap the tacoma for one, but i have a feeling its going to be over 40G and i only payed 34 for my brand new tacoma. Seeing as the JKUR Hard rock already has a starting price around 43k i have a feeling the tacoma will still run strong to the average mid size truck buyer but for jeep enthusiasts with the extra money to spend it should crush the Colorado. Im sure they will have the sport and sahara versions that will be more comparable in price to the Taco though.
    Agree completely. I had a 2005 QC Power Wagon. Frankly, It was way too big for most off roading I do. I mostly hit tight trails in Eastern Kansas, Eastern Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri. I currently have a 2011 QC 1500. It's the same length and width as a 2500. The frame is simply too long and wide for what I would want from a JT. As stated above, I looking for the JT to be a mid-sized truck. At most, a 6 ft bed. I would be good with a 5.5. Definitely want the full Rubicon package. 4 door,lLockers front and rear, sway disco, 4:1 tcase, 4:10 R&P

  9. #9
    Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Falls, MT
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by whatroads View Post
    Agree completely. I had a 2005 QC Power Wagon. Frankly, It was way too big for most off roading I do. I mostly hit tight trails in Eastern Kansas, Eastern Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri. I currently have a 2011 QC 1500. It's the same length and width as a 2500. The frame is simply too long and wide for what I would want from a JT. As stated above, I looking for the JT to be a mid-sized truck. At most, a 6 ft bed. I would be good with a 5.5. Definitely want the full Rubicon package. 4 door,lLockers front and rear, sway disco, 4:1 tcase, 4:10 R&P
    Now that the tacomas have the short and long bed versions 5' vs 6' i think the 6' bed just looks dumb on a mid size truck and would be way too long for off roading.

    If they make a Rubi version 4 door, 5' bed, lockers, 4-1 tcase, 4.10s, and swaybar disco, IMO it will be PERFECT! about the only thing that would kill it for me is the price tag, there is no way they are going to sell that for less than 40G and i wouldnt be surprised if it goes for 45-50, which makes it a bit out of reach for me considering i only payed 34 for my Taco. Hands down it would be more off road capable but i cant imagine me taking the truck out to do that hard core of wheeling to justify the extra 10G thats why i have the wrangler haha so we will see. If they can make it comparable in price to the Tacoma with similar options i man i will be all over it!

    biggest difference in the JT and taco is gonna be the solid front axle which maybe why its gonna be more expensive and might be worth the extra money depending on how people are going to use it.
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    Cooper Stt Pro 295/70/17 ATX 195 17x9, 4Dr Rubi suspension, Rubi Swaybar w/EVO manual no limits, Rubi T case, EVO 1/4lb, Warn Powerplant 9.5

    ***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed

  10. #10
    Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Falls, MT
    Posts
    1,137
    also since this thread was originally about it being on the ram chassis, if they only offer it with the 5' bed i have a feeling they will just modify the JKU or JLU chassis instead of using a ram chassis but i havent seen anything yet on what size bed they are planning on using, and correct me if im wrong but arent all the conversions out there right now for the JKs like a 4.5' bed? they look kinda small
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    Cooper Stt Pro 295/70/17 ATX 195 17x9, 4Dr Rubi suspension, Rubi Swaybar w/EVO manual no limits, Rubi T case, EVO 1/4lb, Warn Powerplant 9.5

    ***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS