AUtomotive news on JT and RAM platforms

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
A little more info on The JT and what is going on at FCA. (Might be redundant with other info)

IMO, FCA won't build it on the Ram platform. They need a Toyota Tacoma competitor. It's easier to expand the new JL frame than it is to shrink the Ram's frame to fit.

longarmwj

IMO, FCA won't build it on the Ram platform. They need a Toyota Tacoma competitor. It's easier to expand the new JL frame than it is to shrink the Ram's frame to fit.

I've never thought about the JL taking on the Tacoma and Frontier. With Ford bringing the Ranger back it makes sense though :thinking:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I've never thought about the JL taking on the Tacoma and Frontier. With Ford bringing the Ranger back it makes sense though :thinking:

The midsize market is hot right now. As much as we'd like to think they're making the JT for clamoring enthusiasts, it's more likely to steal share from the Tacoma and Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

The midsize market is hot right now. As much as we'd like to think they're making the JT for clamoring enthusiasts, it's more likely to steal share from the Tacoma and Colorado.

If they produce a mid sized truck with a solid front axle, it will sell to midsized truck buyers AND Jeep enthusiasts alike. That could be a best seller if they did it right :thumb:

JOHN73738

I may not get my Rubicon on the trail very much, however I know that the Wrangler is a popular off road platform because it can get into tight places. Size it like a ram 1500 and you lose that capability. No thanks for me. Size it like a Wrangler Unlimited with a bed instead of the back seats and I am in.

Just my $.02

desertrunner

in 2016 my wife and i decied to ditch the full size silverado we had and get a mid size truck the Colorado was definitely more catered for the luxury stuff with more fancy gadgets and leather and had a few thousand dollar higher price tag than the Tacoma i ended up buying. I mostly went with the Tacoma because i wanted the TRD off road with the rear locker and the 6 speed manual that i couldnt get with the colorado and it was about 6G cheaper. I really hope the new JT can bust into the market and be the best of both worlds like a JT rubicon with stock lockers sway bar disco the 4-1 tcase and leather it would perfect! I just hope they dont tag on a huge price tag. A JT rubicon would seriously make me consider trying to convince my wife to swap the tacoma for one, but i have a feeling its going to be over 40G and i only payed 34 for my brand new tacoma. Seeing as the JKUR Hard rock already has a starting price around 43k i have a feeling the tacoma will still run strong to the average mid size truck buyer but for jeep enthusiasts with the extra money to spend it should crush the Colorado. Im sure they will have the sport and sahara versions that will be more comparable in price to the Taco though.

whatroads

in 2016 my wife and i decied to ditch the full size silverado we had and get a mid size truck the Colorado was definitely more catered for the luxury stuff with more fancy gadgets and leather and had a few thousand dollar higher price tag than the Tacoma i ended up buying. I mostly went with the Tacoma because i wanted the TRD off road with the rear locker and the 6 speed manual that i couldnt get with the colorado and it was about 6G cheaper. I really hope the new JT can bust into the market and be the best of both worlds like a JT rubicon with stock lockers sway bar disco the 4-1 tcase and leather it would perfect! I just hope they dont tag on a huge price tag. A JT rubicon would seriously make me consider trying to convince my wife to swap the tacoma for one, but i have a feeling its going to be over 40G and i only payed 34 for my brand new tacoma. Seeing as the JKUR Hard rock already has a starting price around 43k i have a feeling the tacoma will still run strong to the average mid size truck buyer but for jeep enthusiasts with the extra money to spend it should crush the Colorado. Im sure they will have the sport and sahara versions that will be more comparable in price to the Taco though.

Agree completely. I had a 2005 QC Power Wagon. Frankly, It was way too big for most off roading I do. I mostly hit tight trails in Eastern Kansas, Eastern Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri. I currently have a 2011 QC 1500. It's the same length and width as a 2500. The frame is simply too long and wide for what I would want from a JT. As stated above, I looking for the JT to be a mid-sized truck. At most, a 6 ft bed. I would be good with a 5.5. Definitely want the full Rubicon package. 4 door,lLockers front and rear, sway disco, 4:1 tcase, 4:10 R&P

desertrunner

Agree completely. I had a 2005 QC Power Wagon. Frankly, It was way too big for most off roading I do. I mostly hit tight trails in Eastern Kansas, Eastern Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri. I currently have a 2011 QC 1500. It's the same length and width as a 2500. The frame is simply too long and wide for what I would want from a JT. As stated above, I looking for the JT to be a mid-sized truck. At most, a 6 ft bed. I would be good with a 5.5. Definitely want the full Rubicon package. 4 door,lLockers front and rear, sway disco, 4:1 tcase, 4:10 R&P

Now that the tacomas have the short and long bed versions 5' vs 6' i think the 6' bed just looks dumb on a mid size truck and would be way too long for off roading.

If they make a Rubi version 4 door, 5' bed, lockers, 4-1 tcase, 4.10s, and swaybar disco, IMO it will be PERFECT! about the only thing that would kill it for me is the price tag, there is no way they are going to sell that for less than 40G and i wouldnt be surprised if it goes for 45-50, which makes it a bit out of reach for me considering i only payed 34 for my Taco. Hands down it would be more off road capable but i cant imagine me taking the truck out to do that hard core of wheeling to justify the extra 10G thats why i have the wrangler haha so we will see. If they can make it comparable in price to the Tacoma with similar options i man i will be all over it!

biggest difference in the JT and taco is gonna be the solid front axle which maybe why its gonna be more expensive and might be worth the extra money depending on how people are going to use it.

desertrunner

also since this thread was originally about it being on the ram chassis, if they only offer it with the 5' bed i have a feeling they will just modify the JKU or JLU chassis instead of using a ram chassis but i havent seen anything yet on what size bed they are planning on using, and correct me if im wrong but arent all the conversions out there right now for the JKs like a 4.5' bed? they look kinda small

Top Bottom