Hotter pinion area after regearing.

Wert7676

I regeared my 2007 wrangler unlimited rubicon to 5.13 last weekend. I've got a 15 mile each way commute to work. That is perfect for a break in cycle. Been driving no faster than 50 miles per hour. And everything sounds good. And feels good. I got a infrared tempature gauge and decided to monitor the temps of the pumpkins. I'm up to 175 miles on the break in and the rear is running at 135 now after my commute. The highest I saw was 170. The front hasn't been over 135 yet. But I started measuring temps in different places. The front pinion area was running 183 f with the pumpkin at 135. Could this be a sign of an over crushed crush sleeve and to much preload. The rear has consistently temps everywhere. One side of me thinks this is normal because the front hasn't had any load from pushing off the ring gear and is mostly free spinning. Therefore it hasn't broken in the bearings and races as fast as the rear will. Oil smells and looks fine. Pinion preload was set at 34 inch lbs spec is 22-35 according to yukon and 20-40 according to the service manual. So it is in spec just at the higher end. The engine and exhaust could be adding heat to it and the rear doesn't have any added heat nearby. What do I do. Should I finish the break in and hope it runs cooler by the time 500 miles oil change is done? Pull it apart now and inspect the bearings and reset the preload with a new sleeve?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
They will run hot during break in and front isn't as hot as you.said because there is no load on it. Mine were still warm well beyond 500 miles but eventually cooled down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wert7676

OK glad to hear this is normal. And the Temps are not that hot. I'll continue my breaking cycle. I'll continue go monitor the Temps and listen for noises or vibration. But the 5.13 gears with my 37s made a huge improvement on the drivability can't wait to hit the trail.

silverbullet88

OK glad to hear this is normal. And the Temps are not that hot. I'll continue my breaking cycle. I'll continue go monitor the Temps and listen for noises or vibration. But the 5.13 gears with my 37s made a huge improvement on the drivability can't wait to hit the trail.

I re gear on the 30th to 5.13's! Can't wait to see what it's like

aermotor

Did you regear it yourself and that's why you are worried? Or was a it a shop? Keep in mind stuff is also spinning much faster in there now.

jorgelrod

Hooked
If you are that worried, pull the fill plug, Diff fluid has a particular smell, but when it's burnt, you will know immediately because it's ten times worse. If it smells normal you are good

Wert7676

If you are that worried, pull the fill plug, Diff fluid has a particular smell, but when it's burnt, you will know immediately because it's ten times worse. If it smells normal you are good

That was the first thing I did. Smells fine and not burnt I stuck a zip tie in there so I could look at it and the color looked good. A little darker than when I put it in but still looked good. So far this week the highest I saw for temp after my commute was 155 and low was 145. I'm at 215 miles on the odometer and probably 250 actual. I think I'll finish the break in and see where it is at. . I'll know if there is an issue during the oil change and cover off inspection. But I will continue to monitor the gear oil and Temps for mine and others info.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The mechanic that just did mine, said they could run 180 to 230 degrees Fahrenheit. He also recommended running the Jeep 25 or 35 miles, to heat them up, then let them cool down, as much as possible in the first 500 miles. He says this heat treats them, and makes them stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
The mechanic that just did mine, said they could run 180 to 230 degrees Fahrenheit. He also recommended running the Jeep 25 or 35 miles, to heat them up, then let them cool down, as much as possible in the first 500 miles. He says this heat treats them, and makes them stronger.

Did he say what temperature they should be after they are broken in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wert7676

Cool that's the info I was looking for so my 180-190 was still just fine. I've been doing 15 mile trips allowing to cool between wonder of I should start making longer trips. I've also keep it a 50 max. Might have gone 60 by accident a few times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom