Does anyone have or know someone that has Teraflex new Falcon 2.1 shocks?

DaBank

Does anyone have or know someone that has Teraflex new Falcon 2.1 shocks? I would image that a shock manufacturer makes them and Teraflex private label them? What do you guys think about the shocks good or bad?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone have or know someone that has Teraflex new Falcon 2.1 shocks? I would image that a shock manufacturer makes them and Teraflex private label them? What do you guys think about the shocks good or bad?

I have no doubts that it's made by another manufacturer and just private labeled. That being said, I wouldn't buy from TeraFlex is only because they're TeraFlex - a company that will warranty their stuff when it breaks but will do so while blaming their customers for "install error". If it were me, I would just find out who the manufacturer of the shocks are and just get them if you really like them that much.

DaBank

Maybe a better question is if anyone has this type of shock either buy a different brand or by Falcon? I know there is better brands on the market than Teraflex. I do have a Teraflex 3 in kit but it is just springs and a track bar and so far no problem after 6 years. I have Hanson bumpers and spare tire rack and a winch and rock rails and there stuff is pretty heavy so i think that might helps with it not riding so rough that Teraflex is know to do also. I think i am going to sale my Rubicon soon and I will be going a different route on the new one with EVO.

Back to the shocks I like the ideal of a larger body with out a shock mounted resi or a external resi for the fact in the rear they are easier to damage. I know Kings have 2.5 but they are a higher price stock and pretty large. That is why i was thinking this shock might be a happy medium compare to Ranchos then Foxs then Kings. I have Foxes now, smooth bodys rear and resi fronts. So is there another manufacturer of this size shock 2.1? Thank for the help and input.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe a better question is if anyone has this type of shock either buy a different brand or by Falcon? I know there is better brands on the market than Teraflex. I do have a Teraflex 3 in kit but it is just springs and a track bar and so far no problem after 6 years. I have Hanson bumpers and spare tire rack and a winch and rock rails and there stuff is pretty heavy so i think that might helps with it not riding so rough that Teraflex is know to do also.

Back to the shocks I like the ideal of a larger body with out a shock mounted resi or a external resi for the fact in the rear they are easier to damage. I know Kings have 2.5 but they are a higher price stock and pretty large. That is why i was thinking this shock might be a happy medium compare to Ranchos then Foxs then Kings. I have Foxes now, smooth bodys rear and resi fronts. So is there another manufacturer of this size shock 2.1? Thank for the help and input.

Assuming you're running a reasonable amount of air in your tires (30 psi or less), a majority of ride quality comes from your coils. Shocks only sever to dampen hits and smooth things out. In other words, your ride is "rough" because your coils are stiff. I've run the TeraFlex 3" kit and hated their coils because of it. You can throw money at a set of new shocks but it won't do a whole lot to fix what you're feeling.

DaBank

Assuming you're running a reasonable amount of air in your tires (30 psi or less), a majority of ride quality comes from your coils. Shocks only sever to dampen hits and smooth things out. In other words, your ride is "rough" because your coils are stiff. I've run the TeraFlex 3" kit and hated their coils because of it. You can throw money at a set of new shocks but it won't do a whole lot to fix what you're feeling.

My ride is not to bad, I feel because the Jeep is weighted down. I have Fox shocks now and I am fine with what I have now and do don't want to change anything. I would rather build a new Jeep. On the new Jeep I want to do a Evo kit with arms and new axles 60/44. I have gone out with you a couple times and few times with other members. The Evo kits seem to ride nice on the trails and roads to and from the harder stuff. I live in the desert and miss being able to drive faster on the dirt roads. I am fine with whatever shocks works the best with the kit I buy. My question is there anything cost wise in-between FOX 2.0 and the King 2.5? The Kings just seem they are big enough to get hurt faster, so this Falcon shock seems a good size. I understand that most reservoir shocks on Jeeps are over kill because most won't be running hard/long enough. So is there any other brand that are in-between 2.0 and 2.5 non reservoir that hold more oil to stay cool and are sold at a far price that it is not a nightmare that you destory on a rock? I should have made a new thread on this subject so it was a shock question not a certain brand. Thanks again for the input and help.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My ride is not to bad, I feel because the Jeep is weighted down. I have Fox shocks now and I am fine with what I have now and do don't want to change anything. I would rather build a new Jeep. On the new Jeep I want to do a Evo kit with arms and new axles 60/44. I have gone out with you a couple times and few times with other members. The Evo kits seem to ride nice on the trails and roads to and from the harder stuff. I live in the desert and miss being able to drive faster on the dirt roads. I am fine with whatever shocks works the best with the kit I buy. My question is there anything cost wise in-between FOX 2.0 and the King 2.5? The Kings just seem they are big enough to get hurt faster, so this Falcon shock seems a good size. I understand that most reservoir shocks on Jeeps are over kill because most won't be running hard/long enough. So is there any other brand that are in-between 2.0 and 2.5 non reservoir that hold more oil to stay cool and are sold at a far price that it is not a nightmare that you destory on a rock? I should have made a new thread on this subject so it was a shock question not a certain brand. Thanks again for the input and help.

I watched a video recently on coilovers rebuilds that hinrich sent me and in the video they discussed shock bodies. Lots of your off the shelf shocks say they are a 2.0 shock yet the inner part of the shock is still a 1.5 size internal. They use this as a marketing ploy. Even a 2.5 will be a 1.5 internal.

Now king actually uses the 2.0 and 2.5 numbers correctly and has the inner diameter to match which is why king is such a great shock and the price tag to follow.

Long story short I would stay clear of the terraflex falcon shocks as it's more than likely just another marketing scheme from them

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I guess I'm totally confused. If you're fine with what you have now, the Fox shocks that you're running now and don't want to change anything, I'm completely missing why you're wanting new shocks that are better than what you have only sold at a fair price and not a nightmare if you destroy them on a rock. Your Jeep being weighted down should make no difference in your ride quality unless you're bottoming out all the time because of it. If anything, the extra weight should help make your stiff coils feel "softer". Also, unless shock fade is a problem you're constantly dealing with as in, your shocks are absorbing great but then, prolonged use makes them feel as if they're not there any more, I'd seriously doubt you'd "need" them. But, hey they do "look" cool.

BTW, I moved your post and the responses to your question into a new thread.

KaPow

I have no doubts that it's made by another manufacturer and just private labeled. That being said, I wouldn't buy from TeraFlex is only because they're TeraFlex - a company that will warranty their stuff when it breaks but will do so while blaming their customers for "install error". If it were me, I would just find out who the manufacturer of the shocks are and just get them if you really like them that much.

According to the teraflex Facebook page, the falcon shocks are made in house in Utah.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
According to the teraflex Facebook page, the falcon shocks are made in house in Utah.

:yawn37: You can order every single part necessary to assemble your very own King shocks in your garage. There is a BIG difference between "assembling" a product "in house in Utah" and them being "made in the U.S.A." If they actually did the later, that would be a HUGE selling point and one that most companies make sure to proudly broadcast. Funny, when you go to TeraFlex's website, there is ZERO mention of their shocks being "MADE IN THE U.S.A." Why? Because they can't.

KaPow

:yawn37: You can order every single part necessary to assemble your very own King shocks in your garage. There is a BIG difference between "assembling" a product "in house in Utah" and them being "made in the U.S.A." If they actually did the later, that would be a HUGE selling point and one that most companies make sure to proudly broadcast. Funny, when you go to TeraFlex's website, there is ZERO mention of their shocks being "MADE IN THE U.S.A." Why? Because they can't.

Good point, and you're right. I just looked a little closer, and they say built in house, not made in house.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good point, and you're right. I just looked a little closer, and they say built in house, not made in house.

TeraFlex pulls this shameless shit all the time at places like SEMA. They go around putting BIG "designed and hand built in the USA" tags on their products hoping people won't know the difference. In my opinion, it's total BS and really, a dishonest way to market their products. If they really think it'll matter to people that their products are "MADE IN THE U.S.A." - they should just MAKE them here!

KaPow

TeraFlex pulls this shameless shit all the time at places like SEMA. They go around putting BIG "designed and hand built in the USA" tags on their products hoping people won't know the difference. In my opinion, it's total BS and really, a dishonest way to market their products. If they really think it'll matter to people that their products are "MADE IN THE U.S.A." - they should MAKE them here!

Especially since they charge just as much as the companies who actually make their products in the USA. All very deceiving.

DaBank

I guess I'm totally confused. If you're fine with what you have now, the Fox shocks that you're running now and don't want to change anything, I'm completely missing why you're wanting new shocks that are better than what you have only sold at a fair price and not a nightmare if you destroy them on a rock. Your Jeep being weighted down should make no difference in your ride quality unless you're bottoming out all the time because of it. If anything, the extra weight should help make your stiff coils feel "softer". Also, unless shock fade is a problem you're constantly dealing with as in, your shocks are absorbing great but then, prolonged use makes them feel as if they're not there any more, I'd seriously doubt you'd "need" them. But, hey they do "look" cool.

BTW, I moved your post and the responses to your question into a new thread.

I am sorry for the confusion. I am not looking to upgrade my Rubicon that I have now. I am just going to sell it since i feel it is a waste to remove what i have now that works fine just to put better products on it. I think in the long run doing a new build now knowing what direction I want to go. I have a 2010 JKU with 30k miles that has been used mostly going offroad and after this amount i time I would like to upgrade to the larger motor and suspension that is able to run at speed on dirt roads and handle the area I rock crawl in the most (BIG Bear/Johnson Valley). You are right when you say that my Jeep being weighted down with the rough riding springs do make it ride softer.

As for the shocks I have damaged and torn rear reservoir shocks and because of that I dont want reservoir shocks on my new build. Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong but in my mind if there is a larger body non reservoir shock that is somewhat affordable compared to the KINGS I would considered them instead of the smaller body Ranchos,Bilstiens,Foxes and the TF 9550s I have ran in the pass. I know must of the ride comes from springs and this time around i want to do bumps stops (KINGS) for the higher speed running i plan on doing. I just think that buying expensive reservoir shocks that are probably over kill for the amount of time I will be running those speeds.

aermotor

Mount the res not on the shock body and up higher then. A lot of people do this. If you want to go fast, you'll want a res shock.

Sooo I saw a picture of these shocks in the rear and the way they mount had me EXTREMELY confused.. IMG_0038.jpg

The reason I'm so confused. Is if you were serious about using your jeep wouldn't you want the resi's to be on the end mounting to the frame? So why in the hell why would you buy these shocks, teraflex or not I still would never touch these [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

I believe their argument was if you knick the shock piston shaft then your shock will leak and be messed up, so they are option to run them upside down so you can mangle the entire shock body. Sounds legit...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sooo I saw a picture of these shocks in the rear and the way they mount had me EXTREMELY confused..

The reason I'm so confused. Is if you were serious about using your jeep wouldn't you want the resi's to be on the end mounting to the frame? So why in the hell why would you buy these shocks, teraflex or not I still would never touch these [emoji23][emoji23]

What's so confusing? If you damage these silly shocks, it will be because of install error. Never mind this is how they designed their shock to be used, it will still be your fault - with TeraFlex, it always is.

mattfl

Teraflex is still around? And people still buy their trash? Wtf

There are probably 20-25 people who own Jeeps at my job. We all park together on friday's, it's pretty cool.

The first time I showed up with my new Evo lift everyone asked who made it, 0 of them knew who Evo was. ALL of them knew or had Teraflex parts on their Jeeps.

The people on this forum and other Jeep forums are a very small part of the people who buy Jeeps. We may be the ones who use them to their full potential, but in the big picture of overall Jeep sales, we are a very very small number.

Look at any of the big sales vendors, quadratec/4WP/extreme terrain etc, the ones who send out whole catalogs of Jeep parts every month, guess who they sell. Guess who comes up first when you do a google search for buy jeep parts.

It really can't be surprising to anyone why vendors like teraflex/smittybilt and the likes are still around and still sell crazy amounts of products every year when you can go to the walmart equivalent of jeep parts store and buy them off the shelf.

Top Bottom