Magnetic Trail Skins and Body Armor

Was wondering if anyone has used these. I have heard they do work for the pin striping but if you get dirt, dust, mud between them and the paint and they move they can damage the paint. Also they shouldn't be left on for more than 24 hours. In other words, are these worth the money and effort?

Jkbroc

Was wondering if anyone has used these. I have heard they do work for the pin striping but if you get dirt, dust, mud between them and the paint and they move they can damage the paint. Also they shouldn't be left on for more than 24 hours. In other words, are these worth the money and effort?
download.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
J

JKDream

Trail Skins is a local company here - and quite a few people run their products being that we get some of the worst pin striping out there.

With that said, the owner's Jeep has been re-wrapped/painted about three or four times, and he uses these religiously.

They're more of a gimmick for the mall crawler types. They do shift around when things brush up against them, so if you have any dirt underneath you're going to get some deep scratches.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I guess I'm not worried enough about pin striping to spend money on something like this. It polishes out easily and in the summer I just pull the top and doors. At that point the only thing left to scratch is the hood, grill, and fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wert7676

I think you got to be on the trail before you can use them. They don't work at high speeds. By the time you put them on your jeep is dirty and they will just grind it in and mess it up. If you are worried about scratches they got this self adhesive film at home improvement stores for protecting hardwood floors during construction. We used it on my buddies truck and it worked. It peeled off fine and that was after 5 days in the Nevada desert in August with 100 plus temps. I'd just make sure u got some wax on the jeep to make sure it doesn't stick permanently or to good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

glen5264

spend the money and just get a truck bed liner coating. You don't need to worry about scratches then. Pretty easy to clean off and looks good!

Kalums

spend the money and just get a truck bed liner coating. You don't need to worry about scratches then. Pretty easy to clean off and looks good!
Did this on a scout my friend has... Looks great for the first 8 months to a year. Then his color started to fade. On top of that he painted his rocker panels and inner fenders black and they NEVER came clean from his first wheeling trip. Pressure sprayer (industrial, not the crappy ones you use at the car wash or can buy for home use), chemicals,scrubbing... didn't matter never came clean. It was a name brand bed liner too not the cheap stuff. The company rep even told him it "can discolor with mud or dirt and fade in the sun" , they don't warranty for any of those reasons. I personally will never paint the entire outside of any vehicle with a bed liner. Inside/floor yes, undercarriage sure, truck bed definitely. Outside... Nope. Just my 0.02

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did this on a scout my friend has... Looks great for the first 8 months to a year. Then his color started to fade. On top of that he painted his rocker panels and inner fenders black and they NEVER came clean from his first wheeling trip. Pressure sprayer (industrial, not the crappy ones you use at the car wash or can buy for home use), chemicals,scrubbing... didn't matter never came clean. It was a name brand bed liner too not the cheap stuff. The company rep even told him it "can discolor with mud or dirt and fade in the sun" , they don't warranty for any of those reasons. I personally will never paint the entire outside of any vehicle with a bed liner. Inside/floor yes, undercarriage sure, truck bed definitely. Outside... Nope. Just my 0.02

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like nobody has positive comments on the trail skins although they get 4.5 stars on amazon.

3TV

I don't think I would use those magnetic trail skins, but what about the "clear bra" material by 3M. I use it to cover the bottom 8" or so of the rocker panels on my pickup truck, and it prevents rock chips from gravel roads. Has anyone used it to prevent brush scratches on a Jeep?

KYRubi

I've seen them on one Jeep on the trail. He had cardboard taped to the section that blew off on the way to the trail. He also had painter's tape around all the edges. I would suppose that is to keep grit from getting under them and ruining the paintjob. It looked pretty funny. I don't know if it worked since I never saw him take them off. Personally, I just waited until the paint job was simply ruined and got the whole thing Line-X'd.

AZDane

I have the Mag Armor skin and you can keep it on during high speed. I probably have 400 miles at 75+ speeds without loosing any of the panels.
I haven't had any of the big panels move at all. The only ones I have seen move are the small ones below the rear door because my kids kick them getting into the Jeep.
I leave them on for up to 5 days at a time if going on a trip and only put them on if the trails I'm doing are known for heavy pin striping.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have the Mag Armor skin and you can keep it on during high speed. I probably have 400 miles at 75+ speeds without loosing any of the panels.
I haven't had any of the big panels move at all. The only ones I have seen move are the small ones below the rear door because my kids kick them getting into the Jeep.
I leave them on for up to 5 days at a time if going on a trip and only put them on if the trails I'm doing are known for heavy pin striping.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Does it move around at all going thru brushy trails?

Top Bottom