Painting advise

Kalums

So got my Hard Rock 3rd row cage I was wondering if anyone had any good advise on how to properly paint the locking collars? I'm a little too poor to pay someone to paint or powder coat it so I was going to wipe it down with mineral spirits to remove and the dirt and grease then do light coats over VHT matte black but I was worried about getting it runny or too thick in the bolt holes on the locking collars. I've painted other things before, so I understand many light coats is the way to go. Any advise would help.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wad up some blue painters tape and stick them in the holes. That will help but I would still run a tap through the holes prior to bolting them up.

Jroeling

I would not recommend using mineral spirits to wipe the metal down. It will leave an oily residue behind due slow evaporation. It would be better to use acetone as it has a much higher rate of evaporation so it will not leave a residue behind that will make your paint peel off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
I would not recommend using mineral spirits to wipe the metal down. It will leave an oily residue behind due slow evaporation. It would be better to use acetone as it has a much higher rate of evaporation so it will not leave a residue behind that will make your paint peel off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Agreed. Acetone is the way to go. Dont do it in the garage unless the door is open as it is very volatile and the pilot light from the water heater could boom haha. Other than that its easy to use.

Like eddie said, buy a tap and chase the holes once you are done.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kalums

Awesome thank you everyone, I've only ever used mineral spirits. I will try the acetone, and the painters tape +the earplugs sounds like a good idea to me.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom