Bigger and Better Engines

JKU EXTREME

I'm curious to know who out there has an aftermarket engine. What size and why you chose that particular engine over the other options out there.
(I personally the stock engine, but am curious to see the variations people have)
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the longest time, HEMI's were the only option other than stock available. Companies like AEV have a great kit that makes the install of one look and feel factory too. That being said, once the new 3.6L Pentastar came out, it became harder to justify doing a 5.7 but then, you can do it with much bigger options now as well. For me, I went with a 6.2 LS. After Motech came out with their kit, it made the most sense to me as it's almost the same size and weight as a 3.8L v6, doesn't require you hammer in the firewall to make it fit, doesn't have the over heating issues that I've personally seen HEMI's have, you can find used motors everywhere and for cheap, they get great MPG, you can find parts for them everywhere and for cheap and I could go on and on.

JKU EXTREME

For the longest time, HEMI's were the only option other than stock available. Companies like AEV have a great kit that makes the install of one look and feel factory too. That being said, once the new 3.6L Pentastar came out, it became harder to justify doing a 5.7 but then, you can do it with much bigger options now as well. For me, I went with a 6.2 LS. After Motech came out with their kit, it made the most sense to me as it's almost the same size and weight as a 3.8L v6, doesn't require you hammer in the firewall to make it fit, doesn't have the over heating issues that I've personally seen HEMI's have, you can find used motors everywhere and for cheap, they get great MPG, you can find parts for them everywhere and for cheap and I could go on and on.

I loved watching Moby get that 6.2LS upgrade and that'll be the V8 I will eventually drop into my jku. There's just so many options out there with LSs the possibilities are endless and there is a plethora of aftermarket upgrades.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Go check out Motech's YouTube channel where he reviews the 6.2 and new 8 speed trans. It's not overly aggressive, just smooth and refined. That, to me, is the reason you go V8 and skip the supercharger option.

2Cross

Caught the Bug

I totally agree ^^^
Personally my hemi has been fine and no major issues

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Anyone run a diesel engine?? Most likely a Cummins?

I've been looking at putting a 3.0L Isuzu 4JJ1 in a TJ later this year if I don't spend all my money on overseas trips. I was originally looking at doing it in a JK but decided on the TJ instead.

They are relatively cheap, make good power, come with a good 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual and have the TC drop on the right side for a jeep.

bekel

ive never seen the benefit to that much power other then to break things if you have the power to spin your tires what good is it to add more power, the one that puts traction to the ground wins every time over the one spinning

XJADDICTION

Banned
ive never seen the benefit to that much power other then to break things if you have the power to spin your tires what good is it to add more power, the one that puts traction to the ground wins every time over the one spinning

Here you go then

IMG_0028.JPG

🤣[emoji106]

Stock 2016 JKUHR

onebadtwo

When my 3.6 gives up, I will absolutely without question go with an LS! Ive been a Chevy guy WAY longer than Ive been a Jeep guy.

BaddestCross

I'm gonna go against most in the group and say that when my 3.8 goes, I'd have to go Hemi. I'm a MOPAR guy, and would consider it blasphemy to put anything other than MOPAR in my Jeep.

I keep hearing that there had been overheating issues in the past, but surely someone's found a way to overcome that by now. A swap is a long way in the future for me, so if they haven't figured it out yet, hopefully they will by the time I'm ready to really think about it.

Hell, I'd even be satisfied with a regular old 318 or 360. 😎

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

I'm curious to know who out there has an aftermarket engine. What size and why you chose that particular engine over the other options out there.
(I personally the stock engine, but am curious to see the variations people have)
Thanks

I went with the 5.7 HEMI on my 2008 JKUR because:

1) I had a 3.8
2) AEV did a fantastic job with a very clean install
3) there weren't too many other choices

I then became frustrated with the inability to enhance performance on AEV's set up because they really had the programming locked down.

I also didn't like the big flat spot in the 545rfe 5 speed transmission
HEMIs make good power but you have to rev them up.

I then went with Motech's Crate 6.2 LS3 and 6L80 transmission
Much better power throughout the power and
Way better transmission
Also infinite ability to increase horsepower
Also only one bridge between GM and Chrysler on the engine harness
Much cleaner with no multiple splices / bridges

Overall the LS is much better for numerous reasons:
1) lighter and smaller (aluminum block)
2) more horsepower
3) ability to add horsepower numerous ways
4) way better transmission
5) much better torque curve