Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ...Death Wobble......Again....

...Death Wobble......Again....

I'll start off by saying, I was reluctant to make another death wobble thread, but I'm desperate to fix this.

When I first got my JK i had a problem with death wobble. After re-torquing all the bolts and replacing the track bar with a beefy adjustable track bar, the death wobble went away. 3 years later I decided to install a 2" lift (lift coils, shock extenders, front sway bar end links, and the adjustable front track bar I had) with 1" coil spacers up front, to make up for the weight of my bumper, and 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers.

After installing the lift, the steering felt like crap and I was getting death wobble. So I went through and loosened all the suspension arms, installed some geo brackets, and re-tourqued everything. The brackets got my pinion angle back to 0* and the steering felt like stock again and I wasn't getting death wobble as easily. I still get death wobble above 45mph, but it's more random. Sometimes I'll hit bumps and feel the front axle shifting but no death wobble, other times I'll get it.

After the lift I re-centered the axle the best I could and straightened the steering wheel. I did not adjust the toe at all and the inside for the front drivers tire was cupping to I know the toe is out.

That's everything I can think of that's I've done. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is making me scared to drive my Jeep.....

I take it you've already done everything in this thread?

DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=311

Quote Originally Posted by MR.Ty View Post
    I take it you've already done everything in this thread?

DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=311
    Yes, I've been through that thread and have double checked everything.

Check your ball joints. Also have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch for play in steering and track bar ends. If track bar end has play, check to make sure holes aren't wollowed out.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Check your ball joints. Also have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch for play in steering and track bar ends. If track bar end has play, check to make sure holes aren't wollowed out.
    I rechecked the ball joints and they are fine. I also had my wife turn the steering wheel and there may have been a mm or two of play in the track bar on the drivers side, and I could hear a click in the draglink and there is a vertical movement in the tie rod on the drivers side.

Could any of these be the cause on my problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathmask View Post
    I rechecked the ball joints and they are fine. I also had my wife turn the steering wheel and there may have been a mm or two of play in the track bar on the drivers side, and I could hear a click in the draglink and there is a vertical movement in the tie rod on the drivers side.

Could any of these be the cause on my problem?
    Do the track bar and tie rod first, then check the drag link later. First torque the track bar bolt. If it's still loose, take out the bolt and check that the holes aren't elongated. If holes are OK, a new bushing/bar is needed.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Knows a Thing or Two Battle Born JK's Avatar
    I had a lot of steering wheel movement and took it in to get alignment and runs pedrcet now i had those little washers around the lug bolts and with my rims they were not sitting flush against the rotor removed those got tires re balanced all is good

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdave15 View Post
    I had a lot of steering wheel movement and took it in to get alignment and runs pedrcet now i had those little washers around the lug bolts and with my rims they were not sitting flush against the rotor removed those got tires re balanced all is good
    I don't have any play in my steering wheel, but I know my alignment is out because of signs of tire wear as I stated above. And I'm pretty sure I need my wheels balanced as well.

The wheels I rotated to the rear needed to be rebalanced mort than than the ones I have in the front now. Could that plus the lack of rear track bar bracket with the lift cause any kind of death wobble. I know it's a reach, but I'm trying to think of anything I can.
    Last edited by Deathmask; 04-04-2017 at 12:13 AM.

How many miles do you have on your ball joints? Do you wheel a lot, or in a lot of mud?
    It usually aways has to do with the ball joints. You cant see the play with just your eyes. You need a dial indicator. But if you can see the play, then you def need some. But im dead sure thats where your problem lies.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

+1 on ball joints if your tires are wearing funny

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast