Rubicrawler vs atlas

TormentedCrawler

What's your guys input between the 2 transfer case upgrades. I've read a good amount and sounds like bang for the buck is the rubicrawler but anyone have any issues with adding it on?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

Ive been studying this as well recently. Going to follow and see what the consensus is. Good post

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding is the rubicrawler will only work with the 07-11 models for some reason.

I believe this is correct and if I recall, it has something to do with the length of the A580 transmission. I'm pretty sure the Rubicrawler will not work with a Rubicon transfer case. Of course, with a 4:1 crawl ratio, you wouldn't really need one.

Aside from that, we ran a Rubicrawler on VENGEANCE and it worked quite well.

Brute

Hooked
I believe this is correct and if I recall, it has something to do with the length of the A580 transmission. I'm pretty sure the Rubicrawler will not work with a Rubicon transfer case. Of course, with a 4:1 crawl ratio, you wouldn't really need one.

I looked into a rubicrawler for my Brute...it is only for the 42RLE trans...

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My understanding is the rubicrawler will only work with the 07-11 models for some reason.

That's right. I looked into that before my transfer case swap, on my old Jeep.

KYRubi

The Rubicrawler will only work with the 42RLE transmission. It actually replaces the back section of it. The Rubicrawler gives you an extra shifter with 1:1 and 2.72:1 ratios. On a Rubicon transfer case, it gives you 1:1 and 2.72:1 in 2WD and 1:1, 2.72:1, 4:1, and 10.88:1 in 4WD. On a non-Rubicon, it gives you 1:1 and 2.72:1 in 2WD and 1:1, 2.72:1 and 7.4:1 in 4WD. It also ties into the computer of the Rubicon and allows the use of lockers when it is engaged.

5C842F1A-AE36-4C60-B2B6-8B289081A5C9_zpsyxva8bn9.jpg

sc_rhino

The Rubicrawler will only work with the 42RLE transmission. It actually replaces the back section of it. The Rubicrawler gives you an extra shifter with 1:1 and 2.72:1 ratios. On a Rubicon transfer case, it gives you 1:1 and 2.72:1 in 2WD and 1:1, 2.72:1, 4:1, and 10.88:1 in 4WD. On a non-Rubicon, it gives you 1:1 and 2.72:1 in 2WD and 1:1, 2.72:1 and 7.4:1 in 4WD. It also ties into the computer of the Rubicon and allows the use of lockers when it is engaged.

That's the best of both worlds. Just like an atlas 4 speed.

KYRubi

That's the best of both worlds. Just like an atlas 4 speed.

It's nice having the 4 speeds, but it's not exactly like having a 4 speed Atlas. With the Atlas, you can control the fronts and rears separately. You could have your front engaged and rear in neutral, and you get the 4 speeds in 2WD instead of 2 speeds. I didn't need those extra features. I really just wanted 2.72:1 and 4:1 because of the mix of terrain we have here in KY. I also wanted something that would install without hacking stuff up and would work correctly as if it were stock.

I had a RubiCrawler in my 2008 4dr Unlimited. Might go down as my favorite upgrade. I mated it to my non-Rubicon transfer case. I did the install myself, and had to make a custom stub shaft puller tool. Took a few hours but learned a lot in the process and I am happy I did it myself.

Driving: with 5.13 gears, my final drive ratio IIRC was somewhere at 7.4:1 on 40" tires. It's like driving a tractor. Approximately 1,000 RPMS per 1 mile per hour. Total control. You no longer have to break/gas to prevent lurching when driving over obstacles. Downhill descents meant no longer braking or riding your brakes. I greatly enjoyed the safety and confidence it provided.

Incidentally, I opted for the upgraded full transfer case and RubiCrawler steel / heim joint shifter cables. Never again had to worry about those plastic retainers.

- Jason

Sullivan

I just recently swapped from a standard t case to the rubicon with the Rubicrawler. It has been great. I love the crawl ratio and even the 2wd low has been nice when playing around.
As for it being comparable to an atlas 4 speed? No. Atlas is just better, stronger and has the ability to do a front dig. The only reason I did the Rubicrawler was because I got a ridiculous deal on it. Otherwise you are not far at all from the cost of an atlas.

KYRubi

I think it has something do with the computer. It doesn't like the atlas 4 speed also.

My understanding is the computer for the 12+ auto can't handle more than 2 speeds for the transfer case which is why you can only do a 2 speed Atlas with it. Also, I've been told that you can use a 4 speed Atlas with the 12+ manual. I would call them first though to make sure.

kawimoto

very informative. really wish I could get the atlas 4 though I really cant justify truly needing it. this probably holds true for most. atlas 2 it shall be when the time comes

Will P.

I’ve got a 08 JK X with the D30/44 of course. I’ve heard that things like wheel studs are a liability with a Rubi crawler. Any thing like this an actual problem, or just BS? Anything else to consider due to the bigger ratios?

Top Bottom