Diff covers

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I guess they have their place, like if you've messed up a stock cover, too bad for repair, but I think it's like the current thread about LED taillights. If your stock ones work, why replace them?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
My axles covers were starting to peel at the bottom and I was afraid they would start leaking diff fluid. So I replaced them with SOLID covers. Plus, they look cool :)

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I dented my front, got a new one, scraped the rear and bent the lower part, got a new one. Only real reason for me was damage and I didnt want to fix the stock ones......plus they look cool when your at the mall :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can also provide extra strength to axle housing...

Sorry but I'd I have to disagree. A diff cover that has a gasket in between it and the housing and with tiny bolts that are only tightened to about 25 ft lbs. of torque will not add any extra strength to the housing. The new Dynatrac XD60 was specifically designed with a cover that WOULD offer more rigidity to the housing and it does this by eliminating the gasket and using much larger bolts that are tightened up to 85 ft. lbs. of torque.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My axles covers were starting to peel at the bottom and I was afraid they would start leaking diff fluid. So I replaced them with SOLID covers. Plus, they look cool :)

What you could have done instead of buying something is remove your covers, pound the bottom flat and grind them down so that the bottom edge would sit just above the base of your housing. This would prevent it from catching rocks in the future and your problem would have been solved for FREE. Of course, for people who's covers are in good condition now, you could always be preemptive and do this modification before you have a problem.

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry but I'd I have to disagree. A diff cover that has a gasket in between it and the housing and with tiny bolts that are only tightened to about 25 ft lbs. of torque will not add any extra strength to the housing. The new Dynatrac XD60 was specifically designed with a cover that WOULD offer more rigidity to the housing and it does this by eliminating the gasket and using much larger bolts that are tightened up to 85 ft. lbs. of torque.

:thumb: I was just going to post that, lol. Jim explains it really well in this video starting at 1:25 :

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
What you could have done instead of buying something is remove your covers, pound the bottom flat and grind them down so that the bottom edge would sit just above the base of your housing. This would prevent it from catching rocks in the future and your problem would have been solved for FREE. Of course, for people who's covers are in good condition now, you could always be preemptive and do this modification before you have a problem.

Good idea, never thought of that. Will remember that for the future... thanks!

Top Bottom