Goodyear MTR Balancing

J

JKDream

I know I know - worst tires in existence.
I am wondering if any of you had any luck balancing these things.
I've roadforced them twice and they're still out - which is making driving the JK quite a handful.
Ever since I started running them - it drives like absolute shit.
Is there any tricks you guys have done to make them work? Balancing beads etc?
New tires are coming soon - but still going to be a few months out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wish I had better news for you but I tried everything and could never get them to balance right.

J

JKDream

Wish I had better news for you but I tried everything and could never get them to balance right.

I have no doubts lol I'm just hoping I can get them tolerable for the meantime while I save for new tires.
It's kind of a catch 22 though - throwing away money that would be well spent on new tires on chasing a proper balance.

What size? Mine were 305/70/17. I ran them at 28 psi. My problem was steering wheel would shimmy. I would just rotate them until it went away.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

37x12.5x17.

J

JKDream

Run them at 30 PSI and call it good till you get your new ones. At that pressure they might wear in a bit more round!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eh I'm hoping to find some form of solution for the mean time - with the way they wobble I'll develop death wobble in no time.
It's actually worse at higher PSI.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have no doubts lol I'm just hoping I can get them tolerable for the meantime while I save for new tires.
It's kind of a catch 22 though - throwing away money that would be well spent on new tires on chasing a proper balance.

Honestly, I got so fed up with mine, I dismounted them and sold them on Craigslist. I used the money I got from the sale to help buy new tires.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
They are practically an unbalanceable tire IMO. I couldn't get a set of 35s, 37s, or three replacement 37s to balance. The quality control on them was so sub par, that the tires weren't even round. The run out was more than excessive, hence the reason for the three replacement 37s. Those three weren't much better, and still wouldn't balance. I tried plain old dynamic balancing and road force at Discount Tire, no luck. Good luck with yours, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

J

JKDream

They are practically an unbalanceable tire IMO. I couldn't get a set of 35s, 37s, or three replacement 37s to balance. The quality control on them was so sub par, that the tires weren't even round. The run out was more than excessive, hence the reason for the three replacement 37s. Those three weren't much better, and still wouldn't balance. I tried plain old dynamic balancing and road force at Discount Tire, no luck. Good luck with yours, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I hear you. It feels like the drivers front is out of round and hopping, I'm hoping swapping in the spare will help for a bit. Honestly don't have much hope though. Maybe I'll get lucky and the first shops just did a shit job.

OffRoadFreak

Man... I have some 40x13.5x17 on order...already payed for them...i hope that i get lucky and get a proper set

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

Eh I'm hoping to find some form of solution for the mean time - with the way they wobble I'll develop death wobble in no time.
It's actually worse at higher PSI.

I'm sorry man. In all seriousness I don't know what to tell you. I hear so many people talk about how bad these tires are. I've had maybe 4 sets, old version and new version in size 37x12.50 r17 and I didn't experience anything near a death wobble. They weren't the smoothest tire but they did fine on and off road so I'm at a loss. Sorry.

Tanktitan

I hear you. It feels like the drivers front is out of round and hopping, I'm hoping swapping in the spare will help for a bit. Honestly don't have much hope though. Maybe I'll get lucky and the first shops just did a shit job.

An easy test to see if they are out of round is to jack it up an inch off the ground and put square faced object up next to the wheel and spin it. The gap between just touching and its low point should be reported to the dealer for potential replacement.

JKU EXTREME

Mine got balanced by discount tire and have no complaints. My friend however has hem balanced but when he has death wobble we put a cup united the tire when it was on jack stands and spun it to see if the tread had wore even and the tire wasn't even on 16" of the tire... but he fixed death wobble and kind of forgot about that little tidbit of info..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry man. In all seriousness I don't know what to tell you. I hear so many people talk about how bad these tires are. I've had maybe 4 sets, old version and new version in size 37x12.50 r17 and I didn't experience anything near a death wobble. They weren't the smoothest tire but they did fine on and off road so I'm at a loss. Sorry.

There is NO comparing the old MTR with the new. The old ones were really nice and a big part of why I wanted the new ones. Not being "the smoothest tire" is a tire that isn't balanced. At least in my book. Off road, I found the current MTR to be unpredictable and to have one of the weakest sidewalls of any MT I have ever run. In fact, I got a chance to work with Nitto a few years back to do off road tire testing on a dozen different tires and the first to fail was the MTR.

Basscat

There is NO comparing the old MTR with the new. The old ones were really nice and a big part of why I wanted the new ones. Not being "the smoothest tire" is a tire that isn't balanced. At least in my book. Off road, I found the current MTR to be unpredictable and to have one of the weakest sidewalls of any MT I have ever run. In fact, I got a chance to work with Nitto a few years back to do off road tire testing on a dozen different tires and the first to fail was the MTR.

Yes. I'd have to agree. The old MTR was better. It did chunk a little more in the rocks though. As for sidewall failure that's a crap shoot. When it's your time it's your time. The only sidewall I ever blew was on the old MTR but that was in a blizzard at 10k ft. During hunting season. The jeep fell into a deep rut and caught a sharp rock and the sidewall was sliced with ease. Kind of like your sidewall failure with the tree stump on the Coopers ( a really good tire imo). Those types of blowouts are hit and miss affairs.

Top Bottom