When to replace shocks

puckjer

2007 jk with 102,000 miles. I bought the jeep when it had 12,000 miles on it and it already had a 2" rubicon express lift installed. The 2 front shocks were replaced around 60,000 but the rears are original and have at least 90,000 on them. They don't seem like they are riding bad so my question is how do I know when to replace them? What is the average mileage expectancy? Are there any good write ups out there to do it myself? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
2007 jk with 102,000 miles. I bought the jeep when it had 12,000 miles on it and it already had a 2" rubicon express lift installed. The 2 front shocks were replaced around 60,000 but the rears are original and have at least 90,000 on them. They don't seem like they are riding bad so my question is how do I know when to replace them? What is the average mileage expectancy? Are there any good write ups out there to do it myself? Thanks for any insight you can provide.
usually you know its time to replace them when oil starts seeping out of them. otherwise they don't need to be replaced

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
You can also do a bounce test to see if they are still effectively damping the springs. Just bounce one corner of the jeep and see how long it takes to stop moving. Should only be one or two oscillations.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

puckjer

I have bfg Kms on there and they seem to wear much fast on the rear and develop some flat spots or chunking. Before you ask, I'm not doing burn outs in this thing. :)
Could the uneven tire wear be caused by the shocks not performing well?

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I have bfg Kms on there and they seem to wear much fast on the rear and develop some flat spots or chunking. Before you ask, I'm not doing burn outs in this thing. :)
Could the uneven tire wear be caused by the shocks not performing well?

The short answer is yes it could be. The long answer is probably, but depends on a lot of things, condition of suspension, alignment, bent axle flange, if it has an automatic locker and you get on it in a turn etc.

Top Bottom