Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Maintaining and Building of Jan the WJ

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Very nice WJ.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Quote Originally Posted by Stotch View Post
    I've had some trouble with Jan having a inconsistent idle while in park/neutral so I took a look at the throttle botty and found that the IAC module was pretty dirty. I cleaned it up with some TB cleaner (and the throttle body while I had it open) and she's got a perfect idle now! Gotta love an easy fix.
    Here's the IAC before cleaning, pretty gunked up:
    Attachment 257785
    I didn't get an after, but you can always Google WJ IAC if you want to see what it is supposed to look like (metalic and shiny).
    I've done that as well on mine. Does the trick.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nice looking build and great to see another addition to the WJ Army :-)
    2004 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 L, Graphite Metallic, Stock
    Build Thread Here

Quote Originally Posted by BananaJeep View Post
    Very nice looking WJ. Looks extremely clean! Good luck, and congrats on the third child!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Very nice WJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by DVLDOG View Post
    Nice looking build and great to see another addition to the WJ Army :-)
    Thanks, I'm really enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I've done that as well on mine. Does the trick.
    Yep, I'm glad it wasn't a leak or something harder to track down.

Ok, I've been having some continuing power problems. If she sits for more than a few days the battery is dead as a door nail. If driven regularly there's no issues. The alternator charges between 13.5 and 13.7 volts at idle. The battery is fairly new (purchased 10/2016) and charges and tests fine as far as I can tell. The only lead I have is the battery terminals. I have avoided changing them until now since I'll have to cut the cables to do so and they don't have much slack in them as it is, but I guess I'll be doing it regardless. Here's one of the terminals now (the other is in similar poor condition):
    terminal1.jpg
    terminal2.jpg
    I will update soon with the new terminals...

Alright, the battery terminals I picked up from the auto parts store are in. Here's the run down:
    battTerm.jpg
    I couldn't find good ring terminals in a 6-8 guage (which I think is what the WJs cables are) only a 2 guage, so I connected both wires for each terminal to one 2 gauge each. It worked out pretty well. Which was good because I didn't have much cable to play around with.
    battTerm2.jpg
    They were each crimped on first and then filled in from the back with solder using a small butane torch. I'm glad I bought extra because I screwed up the crimp on the negative and had to redo it.
    battTerm3.jpg
    Ring terminals done, moving on to the easy part; bolting on the battery post terminals.
    battTerm4.jpg
    battTerm5.jpg
    battTerm6.jpg
    All done! (I almost left those vice grips in there )
    battTerm7.jpg

Looks good. I had a voltage drop on mine as well. Ended up being high resistance in the end of the positive cable. Hope that fixes yours.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Looks good. I had a voltage drop on mine as well. Ended up being high resistance in the end of the positive cable. Hope that fixes yours.
    Thanks, me too. I can already tell it starts up better, hopefully that was it. Otherwise I'm going to have to go through every fuse one-by-one to find the amperage leak

The last of Jan's new goodies are on the FedEx truck! They had to break it all into multiple shipments and it's been trickling in over the past month so I don't have tracking info Hopefully I'll get to start the work this weekend; if not then it should be next week.

Also, it looks like the new battery terminals fixed my voltage problems whoop whoop!

Quote Originally Posted by Stotch View Post
    The last of Jan's new goodies are on the FedEx truck! They had to break it all into multiple shipments and it's been trickling in over the past month so I don't have tracking info Hopefully I'll get to start the work this weekend; if not then it should be next week.

Also, it looks like the new battery terminals fixed my voltage problems whoop whoop!
    Glad the voltage drop is fixed. What other stuff are you working on?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast