Winch cover or no?

OJK12

So I got a smittybilt X2O winch and got a cover to keep it dry and the synthetic line out of the UV rays and out of the salt! I was talking to a friend that goes to a lot of jeep jamborees who says the instructors there don't recommend covers because although they are supposedly sealed the cover causes condensation which rots them out from the inside. He says the instructor claims even with UV rays it takes 5 years to hurt the line by which time it should be replaced anyway. Is this true? What is the best thing to do to protect your winch and line. I'm open to suggestions!

TheDuff

So I got a smittybilt X2O winch and got a cover to keep it dry and the synthetic line out of the UV rays and out of the salt! I was talking to a friend that goes to a lot of jeep jamborees who says the instructors there don't recommend covers because although they are supposedly sealed the cover causes condensation which rots them out from the inside. He says the instructor claims even with UV rays it takes 5 years to hurt the line by which time it should be replaced anyway. Is this true? What is the best thing to do to protect your winch and line. I'm open to suggestions!

I was gonna run a cover on mine, but I am at the other end of the country. I could see the point in a cover retaining moisture, but not having one on during heavy rain, through mud, snow, ect. just seems worse. maybe run the cover while on the trail or parked out in the weather, then let it dry out after? I'm curious to see what the pros say on this also:)

Jersey_Devil

I run a Warn XD9000i and I keep my cover on all winter long unless I need to use it (after all wheeling trips I put cover in the washer) I like keeping it covered during the winter so it don't get wet and freeze, and so salt don't corrode anything.... during the summer months I usually keep the cover off cause its only rain u really need to worry about, winches are designed to be covered in mud and dirt so I just power wash it (summer & winter) to get all the dirt outta the lil spaces but mine also has a sealed control box, getting mud in a normal winch box is probably bad so I'd keep ur cover on on the trails unless u need it (driving on the street in like showing off the winch uncovered lol.... Hope this helps

bl17z90

I'm not trying to hijack but i would like to add to that question. Is there any real advantage to having the winch down in the bumper? I like it for looks but it also seems like if it sat on top i would restrict airflow and be more prone to getting hit by things.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I have a winch with synthetic line and I keep to covered. I like to keep as much dirt out as possible. We don't have bad winters and I haven't noticed any issues with condensation. Personally I think it will help prolong the life of my costly investment.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm not trying to hijack but i would like to add to that question. Is there any real advantage to having the winch down in the bumper? I like it for looks but it also seems like if it sat on top i would restrict airflow and be more prone to getting hit by things.

Restricted airflow is the big one. 👍

Altonymous

Winch cover options, advantages/disadvantages?

Any advantage/disadvantage to running just the line cover vs. the entire winch cover?

I was looking around for a cover that didn't scream ... Big expensive winch sitting right here.. but couldn't find one. All of them say WARN Zeon.. it's pretty damn annoying.

(Planning to recess mount it with a JCR Mauler.)

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Any advantage/disadvantage to running just the line cover vs. the entire winch cover?

I was looking around for a cover that didn't scream ... Big expensive winch sitting right here.. but couldn't find one. All of them say WARN Zeon.. it's pretty damn annoying.

I have a warn Powerplant in my LOD bumper and I bought a cover for it. It does what its meant to, but it does not fit between the winch and the bumper on the passenger side. I am a little disappointed with the fit on my setup, but I still have it on my winch for daily use. I personally feel that a cover vs. a winch bare makes no difference... factor55 winch lock if your worried about it! :yup:

I had one sent to me by accident being I didn't order it. It came with some UV protectant but I assumed it would be a while before needing it. I was wrong, 3 weeks later is was already bleached by the sun. I don't like the look of the cover but I like keeping it on when going through car washes or during the winter with salt on the roads.

WJCO

Meme King

Based on your post, I assume you have the Zeon? I have the Zeon as well. I was planing on getting just the rope cover at first, but almost all the reviews I read said that it is near impossible to get the cover on there when the rope is on the drum. I will eventually get a neoprene cover for the winter soon.

On another note, I've personally never known someone who has had a winch stolen off of a vehicle. You could always weld a cap around one of the bolts if it makes you feel safer too.

mds22

Based on your post, I assume you have the Zeon? I have the Zeon as well. I was planing on getting just the rope cover at first, but almost all the reviews I read said that it is near impossible to get the cover on there when the rope is on the drum. I will eventually get a neoprene cover for the winter soon.

On another note, I've personally never known someone who has had a winch stolen off of a vehicle. You could always weld a cap around one of the bolts if it makes you feel safer too.

It would be easier to steal my whole front bumper than remove my winch. Doubt that will be a problem I can protect against

Havoc40

Happened to me as well. I bought both the rope and neoprene cover for my Zeon. Planned on using the rope cover for summer, and the neoprene for winter. For the life of me I couldn't get the plastic cover on. I notched out the bottom to clear the thimble which helped, but still couldn't get the cover to fully seat.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Happed to me as well. I bought both the rope and neoprene cover for my Zeon. Planned on using the rope cover for summer, and the neoprene for winter. For the life of me I couldn't get the plastic cover on. I notched out the bottom to clear the thimble which helped, but still couldn't get the cover to fully seat.

Not surprised. Even with that rope stretched and spooled, it sticks out slightly and is very close to touching the top rope housing above the drum on mine.

sjd78

I have the neoprene Warn Zeon cover and it does bleach out quick, even when using the UV protectant. However it does a good job at keeping the crap off the winch and protecting the synthetic line from uv rays.

WJCO

Meme King
I have the neoprene Warn Zeon cover and it does bleach out quick, even when using the UV protectant. However it does a good job at keeping the crap off the winch and protecting the synthetic line from uv rays.

This is most likely the option I'll be going with.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
This is a powerplant, but here's how my cover fits. Overall, it does its job and keeps the sun/weather off the winch.

Attachments

• 1446236766003.jpg
    1446236766003.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 1446236780085.jpg
    1446236780085.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 1446236791869.jpg
    1446236791869.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 372
Top Bottom