'86 CJ Restore and Subsequent First Ride?

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
The last couple of days for shits and giggles I was perusing the local CL ads for older used Jeeps and stumbled across an '86 CJ that looks like it could be a really cool restoration project. But i was also thinking my youngest, Zachary, will be 14 this August. Would a slow restore over the course of 2+ years make a suitable/safe first ride for him or would I be putting him in harms way in this kind of ride. I know it would make a REALLY cool project that he and I could bond over but I don't want him to be unsafe. Just spitballing and looking for thoughts and feedback from those more familiar than me with this generation of Jeep. I was just really inspired by Eddie's Calamity Jane vids and got to thinking...Also if I proceed what is a fair offer for a CJ that looks like it might need a lot of work?

https://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/6053211439.html

Last edited:

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
That would be cool. '86 is a good year to buy. Just make sure frame doesn't look like swiss cheese. As far as putting your boy in harms way I would say na. Hopefully while you are building the jeep he will learn to respect it. Then again he is a kid and kids do stupid shit sometimes. Just my 2 cents.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I don't know that I'd put a kid in a CJ as a first car. I'd let him/her drive with me and teach them what they need to know about off roading and let their school/work ride be a throw away car to start off in. Once they had proven themselves, I'd surprise them with it as a high school graduation gift at 18-19. I'd think of it as a family bonding project for the time being. 1.The kid will respect it more having turned the wrenches along with dad. 2.If you decide to keep it for yourself, no promises have been made, I mean, who wouldn't want a CJ of their own.:yup:

wjtstudios

Hooked
My first car/jeep was a CJ8. I didn't restore in the 95 when I bought it, but I did pay for it, so I respected it. Even better if you and your son restore it. I can say that I did get in a few accidents with it as a kids, none of them my fault of course! Both accidents were chain reactions in front on me. My father at the time had coached me that if I were going to hit something, to stay squared up to it and not swerve in the CJ or it will tip. Both crashes totaled the cars that it hit, no damage ever occurred to the Cj, the frame is perfectly straight. Good old strong iron frames!! So I would say they are safe if you respect what they are but keep in mind they don't stop like new cars.

2015 JKUR AEV

Bmann412

Looks like a fun project! I am not sure wether or not that would be the safest first car to drive everyday. This is coming from a 22 year old. My first car was a 1998 jeep tj. It taught me a lot about driving as well as working on cars. I think once you put a lot of time and effort into something you will take care of it and will have respect for it. I would never want to put my jeep in harms way it's not just a car to me and I want to keep it as long as I can. so I drive cautiously to keep both me and my jeep safe.

Jeeps are not race cars and aren't meant to be driven fast but a lot kids my age don't seem to think about that and drive way to fast. Granted my tj was a 4cyl so it was never fast to begin with but it let you know when you went around turns to fast.

So I think it depends on your son and his personality. Either way it would be a fun project both you and your son could share. get a beater car for him to learn and drive to school everyday. Save the Cj for nice days to cruise or hit the trails. With all that being said I am glad my first car was a Jeep and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have learned so much from it and also got work with my dad rebuilding it from the frame up!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bill.turner

Both my kids started in Jeeps. My son in a 92 YJ and my daughter in a 02 TJ. No major incidents or problems. I say go for it. It is a great opportunity to build quality time with your son and teach him the respect for the lifestyle and life in general.

Billt

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Well the one I posted about turned out to be a real project, probably more than I want to get involved in. I certainly don't expect much in that price range but there just wasn't much to work with. I've broadened my searching to pretty much the entire eastern U.S. i figure that will increase my chances of finding that diamond in the rough where a bulk of the work I can handle in the driveway or garage without the need to be dropping it off a repair shop every weekend or an extended stay at a body shop. There are certain things I'm comfortable working on but certainly not interested in a money pit. $5-7k seems to be a sweet spot where I can find something to work with at my skill level.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I may have found one. Waiting for a lot more pics and then, if the CJ is in as good a shape as it looks throw an offer out. 304 and 5 spd trans.

IMG_1644.JPG

Spazbyt

Hooked
My first car was a 86 CJ-7. My father told me later in my life that he figured I couldn't street race (or brake 70 mph for that matter) so it had to be safer. I guess he was right, I never totaled it and Im in the process of restoring it with him almost 20 years later. 20170215_190042 - Copy RESIZE 1.jpg

Top Bottom