Tcase leak, shifter seal?

WJCO

Meme King
Just noticed a tcase leak on the JK. Looks like it's coming from the shift lever linkage seal. It's cleaned off currently. Has anyone ever replaced one of these, easy or hard? Looks like a pain in the ass to me. Or is there maybe something above it leaking, hard to see in this area, especially with tcase skid in the way.

0407171128.jpg

0407171129.jpg

sassmouth

Just noticed a tcase leak on the JK. Looks like it's coming from the shift lever linkage seal. It's cleaned off currently. Has anyone ever replaced one of these, easy or hard? Looks like a pain in the ass to me. Or is there maybe something above it leaking, hard to see in this area, especially with tcase skid in the way.]

The part that most likely is leaking is the shift sector support unless you have developed a crack in the case itself. To replace it you will need to remove the drive shaft and flange from the tcase. You should be able to do this without removing the tcase. I got really familiar with the tcase whenI had to replace one-half of the case when it cracked due to a drive shaft failure.

I am attaching excerpts from Jeep service manual 2007 ed that shows the steps.

NV241OR transfer case servicing_Page_01.jpg
NV241OR transfer case servicing_Page_02.jpg
NV241OR transfer case servicing_Page_03.jpg
NV241OR transfer case servicing_Page_04.jpg
NV241OR transfer case servicing_Page_33.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for those printouts. It does indeed look like a pain in the ass. I may just FlexSeal that bitch, lol. I'm not 100% sure it's that plug because after driving it, there's fluid all around that area. I doubt there's a crack mainly because it's still at stock height, no drive line vibrations.

WJCO

Meme King
It's hell to take off and put on the t-case. I know that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just noticed a tcase leak on the JK. Looks like it's coming from the shift lever linkage seal. It's cleaned off currently. Has anyone ever replaced one of these, easy or hard? Looks like a pain in the ass to me. Or is there maybe something above it leaking, hard to see in this area, especially with tcase skid in the way.]

The part that most likely is leaking is the shift sector support unless you have developed a crack in the case itself. To replace it you will need to remove the drive shaft and flange from the tcase. You should be able to do this without removing the tcase. I got really familiar with the tcase whenI had to replace one-half of the case when it cracked due to a drive shaft failure.

I am attaching excerpts from Jeep service manual 2007 ed that shows the steps.

So if I'm just replacing that sector support nut, do I still have to remove the detent plug and position sensor? Seems pointless unless I'm missing something.

Josh27

I've got a similar leak and it looks like the fluid is dripping from the shifter. After a couple days of driving the front of the transfer case is wet with fluid and drips onto the skid plate. I recently put on a JE Reel frond driveshaft (no vibrations) so I'm hoping I just didn't get enough rtv on the splines but I haven't had the time to check it out. Thanks for the info sassmouth! I Haven't been able to find much info on this.

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
Nice manual but it does seem like pain in the ass.That holder(2) scares me.

Last edited:

Slimebones

Just noticed a tcase leak on the JK. Looks like it's coming from the shift lever linkage seal. It's cleaned off currently. Has anyone ever replaced one of these, easy or hard? Looks like a pain in the ass to me. Or is there maybe something above it leaking, hard to see in this area, especially with tcase skid in the way.

View attachment 252271

View attachment 252272

Just want you to know, I had a similar situation and after many cycles of cleaning and driving, I finally narrowed it down to the switch on top of the transfer case. The switch is sealed by an o'ring. New o'ring, problem solved. Worth checking. Note: top of transfer case was actually wet. Hard to get to, but doable. Will need a 1 1/2" crowfoot.

WJCO

Meme King
Just want you to know, I had a similar situation and after many cycles of cleaning and driving, I finally narrowed it down to the switch on top of the transfer case. The switch is sealed by an o'ring. New o'ring, problem solved. Worth checking. Note: top of transfer case was actually wet. Hard to get to, but doable. Will need a 1 1/2" crowfoot.

Thanks. She's driving it right now. I'll check that when she gets back. I assume you're referring to the sensor in the pic below, right above the shift lever?

NV241OR transfer case servicing_Page_04.jpg

sassmouth

I've got a similar leak and it looks like the fluid is dripping from the shifter. After a couple days of driving the front of the transfer case is wet with fluid and drips onto the skid plate. I recently put on a JE Reel frond driveshaft (no vibrations) so I'm hoping I just didn't get enough rtv on the splines but I haven't had the time to check it out. Thanks for the info sassmouth! I Haven't been able to find much info on this.
I have the full shop manual so if you need more info let me know

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It is wet. Thanks for the help. I'll try the Oring first no matter what. Then clean and recheck.

You may be able to detach the drive shafts, put a jack under it, remove the crossmember, and lower it. I know that's a lot, but it will definitely free up a little room up there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Tight clearance up there. Good luck.

This repair must have scarred your mind, because you were dead right on the wrench size. I will hopefully do this in the next couple of days. I couldn't find a Crowfoot that size anywhere. I can fit a crescent wrench on it but have no room to turn it. I found a set of these this morning and it fits perfectly. Do you remember how tight it was? Will this little shorty wrench allow enough leverage?

IMG_20170408_121759_837.jpg

Slimebones

This repair must have scarred your mind, because you were dead right on the wrench size. I will hopefully do this in the next couple of days. I couldn't find a Crowfoot that size anywhere. I can fit a crescent wrench on it but have no room to turn it. I found a set of these this morning and it fits perfectly. Do you remember how tight it was? Will this little shorty wrench allow enough leverage?

View attachment 252380

You are dead right on the scarring of the mind. I will tell you all about it next time I see you. I do think that shorty wrench will work as I used a crowfoot with a wobble extension to fit up in there, therefore it did not require a whole lot of torque, seeing as how it is just an o'ring doing the actual sealing anyway. I am sure you can leverage it in there tight enough. I guess some pipe dope or thread tape might even be a precaution.

WJCO

Meme King
Just got done. Truthfully with that shorty wrench, it wasn't too bad. Probably a 30 minute job. Without that, it would be impossible though. So thanks for the tip on the correct tool, slimebones. It took me longer to get the damn electrical connector off than it did to unscrew the sensor. And I have some new cuts on my arms.

Some tips for anyone doing this. If you get behind the transfer case and reach over the top, you can access the electrical connector easier.

IMG_20170408_200911_323.jpg

The bottom of the sensor is a spring loaded plunger, so when you put it back in, you have to press down on it before the threads will even contact the transfer case. You can't see the sensor while you're putting it back in, you can only feel it due to the limited space.

IMG_20170408_200735_606.jpg

Here's a pic of where it's located. Right behind and above the front driveshaft yoke.

IMG_20170408_201017_376.jpg

Now I just have to wait and see if the leak is actually fixed. It will suck if it isn't.

IMG_20170408_200819_407.jpg

Top Bottom