Speaker upgrade

boardsurfer

I take it you dont already have the premium package? I upgraded mine to the Kicker 6.5s and while the sound is better it isnt anything to write home about. The stock speakers were just awful though. At least the kickers put out enough volume to be heard on the highway. Google 77KICK10.

I thought that all Jeep sound systems were just terrible. My wife has the premium sound in her 2012 JKU and it sounds pretty meh. H8ROADS has the premium in his 2015 (16?) and it sounds waaay better. So at least good sound is possible.

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Upgrading speakers will not do anything for you. You factory radio is only pushing about 18watts. If you upgrade to a two-way speakers the only thing you will do is loose the little bit of base that you get from factory. Even upgraded factory sound system is muddy as hell.
You need to get an aftermarket head unit and an amplifier, get all 4 component speakers, nice little sub and run all new speaker wire.
That's what I did in mine, it sounds great even with top and doors off [emoji41]

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
This is my post from another thread.

I have pioneer head unit, a 5ch500w amp mounted under seat. I also replaced all the speakers with alpine component speakers and ran all new speaker wire. For the sub I run a 10' I had laying around in the garage for now, but I want a get a quality 8" sub to fit in the factory enclosure.

No need for poly fill in the soundbar especially with the component speakers, which are much better then 2 or 3-way speakers and are same price. (Don't buy speakers cuz they look pretty)
I only dyno matted and polyfilled the factory sub enclosure and that did help a lot with vibration and sound for the subwoofer.

I had this in there for a while, it sounded good but didn't last very long. Everything was correct as far as all the specs go.
View attachment 247610
It was wired this way.
View attachment 247611
Crutchfield took it back for a full refund with no questions asked.

I wan to get this JL sub now, which I heard great thing about
View attachment 247612

It's a Jeep you will never get the sound quality you would have in a regular car. And I personally don't want to drive around with a big sub in the trunk once again because it's a JEEP. Also once you take the top and doors off all the base escapes anyway, cuz all pressure escapes.

Also cool trick for fitting aftermarket tweeters in your factory front housing. Toothpicks and hot glue lol.
View attachment 247618 View attachment 247620

I added rear teeters on the sound bar also, just had to drill couple holes in it, tweeters will come with everything you need to mount them in a sound bar and there is plenty of room for them.

You want to have good sounds, get a 5ch amp, stay away from 2 and 3-way speakers cuz they are crap. Run all new wiring. Get quality head unit that uses RCA's to connect to your amplifier. Also if you want to keep your steering wheel controls get Maestro module, which also taps in to obdII and allows you bring up gauges for trans temp, intake temp, boots, vacuum etc.... it even will scan for check engine light and show you the codes all from the head unit.

That is how I have mine set up and I love it. Even with the top and doors off, it's still loud and clear!

MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
** also use 12 to 14awg speaker wire and try to use gold plated connectors. 100' will be enough for the whole jeep with some leftover.

Here is wire I used, great wire at good price. Also used their rca's

Very happy with that brand.

View attachment 247622 View attachment 247623

Owen19

I'd do a amp upgrade first before speakers. And try to deaden the pods and sound bar. 16 gauge wire is more than enough for components/coax. I'm feeding 100 watts each to my mids with 16 gauge wire, it's more than enough.

Kalums

They do, but 120$ for a pair of(who made them, Idk) tweeters is pretty steep for me. When I can get a full set of Infinity Kappa components for about the same price.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mark85383

I actually put those tweeters in. Before my new head unit they made more of s difference than the 4 Mopar Kickers. Problem is the oem head unit just doesn't put out enough power to drive the Kickers. The Kickers alone hardly made a difference at all. If you really want to keep the oem unit you will need an amp if you upgrade the 6.5 inch speakers. Otherwise just add the Quadratec tweets for less than 4 Kickers for more clarity and a bit more volume.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom