Differential Cover Upgrades SteelvsNodularIron

kylej

I hit the trail pretty hard this weekend and scraped up my stock differential covers. I am contemplating upgrading them. I have done some research and found that the Steel and Iron ones are on par with each other for strength. The difference from what I under stand is the iron ones will crack if they are hit hard, whereas the steel will bend long before it will brake. Anybody have any advice or opinions on this subject. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hit the trail pretty hard this weekend and scraped up my stock differential covers. I am contemplating upgrading them. I have done some research and found that the Steel and Iron ones are on par with each other for strength. The difference from what I under stand is the iron ones will crack if they are hit hard, whereas the steel will bend long before it will brake. Anybody have any advice or opinions on this subject. Thanks

Welcome to WAYALIFE. Regarding your question, I can't say that I've EVER seen a cast diff cover crack from a hard hit. As far as steel goes, the only ones I've ever seen bend are factory covers and even at that, it wasn't a big deal. Aside from 'looking' cool (and there's nothing wrong with that) and being some what of a cheap addition, aftermarket diff covers are for the most part, totally unnecessary. Just make sure the bottom lip is sitting ABOVE the base of the diff housing and you'll find they'll do well and last a long time.

WJCO

Meme King
Sure. Its not a public album, so theres nowhere for comments or discussions.

OP, it was just a couple pictures on how I put it together. If you have any questions, PM me.

I just sent you a PM. You are welcome to add the photos here. Just please don't post links directing the traffic to the other site.

Top Bottom