Trail Worthy Fabrication

Oreo

Does anyone have any experience with Trail Ready Fabrication beadlock rims? I found a set for sale locally and before I consider buying them I want to make sure they are worth the high price tag.

Last edited:

Oreo

before someone flames you for asking that... yes they are arguably the best off road wheels available today.

I knew they were good, but for the price I wanted to hear some feedback. They are expensive, even compared to ATX.

AdrockTT

Does anyone have any experience with Trail Ready Fabrication beadlock rims? I found a set for sale locally and before I consider buying them I want to make sure they are worth the high price tag.

I fear you're mixing up 2 companies.

Are these Trail Worthy Fabrication hummer style beadlocks? OR are these Trail Ready beadlocks? Very different wheels and companies.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I fear you're mixing up 2 companies.

Are these Trail Worthy Fabrication hummer style beadlocks? OR are these Trail Ready beadlocks? Very different wheels and companies.

Agreed. This was my first though when I read the OP as well. Two very different companies and Trail Worth Fab should not be anywhere near the price of Trail Ready beadlocks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oreo

Trail Ready Fabrication

My bad, I meant trail worthy fabrications. Didn't notice that until just now.

AdrockTT

They're 16.5".

Those are recentered hummer wheels. Very diff than the TWF 17" DD wheels they offer (which I think are very nice). The 16.5"s wheels have very limited, rough riding tire selections (though they wear like iron). The wheels themselves are HEAVY. Off-sets aren't very desirable either. If you're saying they're expensive, I'd prob pass...

Oreo

Trail Ready Fabrication

Those are recentered hummer wheels. Very diff than the TWF 17" DD wheels they offer (which I think are very nice). The 16.5"s wheels have very limited, rough riding tire selections (though they wear like iron). The wheels themselves are HEAVY. Off-sets aren't very desirable either. If you're saying they're expensive, I'd prob pass...

They're a pretty good price. I meant it would be expensive to buy them new.

Last edited:

madstiles

Have you looked on their website? I priced them a while back and they were pretty cheap compared to other beadlock wheels that's the only reason I considered them. Also with a 16.5 you can run military tires (takeoffs) which are a lot cheaper than buying tires normally. You can also get runflat inserts for them which would be handy in a car chase or something haha[emoji12]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

AdrockTT

Just be sure you pick out the proper tire and read reviews on them prior to pulling the trigger. It's usually mil surplus tires in that size...not so great for most Jeep applications (but also cheap, if it's just a budget concern and/or mainly a trail jeep).

Their 17x10 DD double beadlocks look sweet though and are very customizable, various off-sets, etc. I'd surely rock those...

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
My bad, I meant trail worthy fabrications. Didn't notice that until just now.

Some things to consider when going to a 16.5" wheel with HMMWV tires. First, stay away from the bias ply Goodyear's. They are garbage in every way possible. The Goodyear MTRs are a decent tire, depending on the type of wheeling you do. If you spend time in the desert or the rocks, the BFG Bajas are a very decent tire. They get good traction, and wear like iron.
There are negatives to consider as well. These tires are stiff. Ever see a pic of an M1151 Up Armored HMMWV? There is a reason a 16K lbs vehicle barely bulges these tires. The sidewalls are stiff and they are overbuilt. Now keep in mind, I have never ridden on these in a lighter weight jeep, but think about it. Also, we do not balance wheels/tires typically, and they can ride like crap if mounted unbalanced. I'm honestly not even sure if some of these wheels can be balanced. They can shake you to death if you get one that just doesn't want to behave. Lastly, the 16.5" tire was a proprietary size for the military in order to alleviate theft. Other than ordering them online or finding an occasional deal on craigslist, they are not a common tire. Something to think about if you get a flat or two and need a tire. You cannot just head to the local tire shop and pick one up. They are extremely heavy as well, so you want to make sure your axles are properly beefed up to handle the extra stress, as well as your tire carrier.
If I were to ever go this route (which I personally would'nt), I would go with the BFG Baja's sipped by TWF. My advise would be save up and get something that is better suited for your rig, commercially available and offers all of the advancements of a modern off road tire. The HMMWV tires are dinosaurs compared to whats available on today's market.

AdrockTT

Some things to consider when going to a 16.5" wheel with HMMWV tires. First, stay away from the bias ply Goodyear's. They are garbage in every way possible. The Goodyear MTRs are a decent tire, depending on the type of wheeling you do. If you spend time in the desert or the rocks, the BFG Bajas are a very decent tire. They get good traction, and wear like iron.
There are negatives to consider as well. These tires are stiff. Ever see a pic of an M1151 Up Armored HMMWV? There is a reason a 16K lbs vehicle barely bulges these tires. The sidewalls are stiff and they are overbuilt. Now keep in mind, I have never ridden on these in a lighter weight jeep, but think about it. Also, we do not balance wheels/tires typically, and they can ride like crap if mounted unbalanced. I'm honestly not even sure if some of these wheels can be balanced. They can shake you to death if you get one that just doesn't want to behave. Lastly, the 16.5" tire was a proprietary size for the military in order to alleviate theft. Other than ordering them online or finding an occasional deal on craigslist, they are not a common tire. Something to think about if you get a flat or two and need a tire. You cannot just head to the local tire shop and pick one up. They are extremely heavy as well, so you want to make sure your axles are properly beefed up to handle the extra stress, as well as your tire carrier.
If I were to ever go this route (which I personally would'nt), I would go with the BFG Baja's sipped by TWF. My advise would be save up and get something that is better suited for your rig, commercially available and offers all of the advancements of a modern off road tire. The HMMWV tires are dinosaurs compared to whats available on today's market.

Nice post - a good summary of all I've heard and read!

Oreo

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom