Sunshades for JKU

Amrth

Deciding for a Sunshade, which one do you all prefer?
SPIDERWEBSHADE or BARTACT?

I'm inclined towards BARTACT because its stretches all the way to the sides of the roll bar rather than leaving large gaps on the side, and installs over the roll bar to provide more headroom. Anybody having BARTACT can you throw some light if this is better than SPIDERWEBSHADE?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Other options to considers after all the responses that I've received.
Rugged Ridge
Alienshade
Jeep Tops USA
DirtyDog

SPIDERWEBSHADE picture
81gk1nu-iTL._SL1500_.jpg

BARTACT picture
Capture1.JPG

Last edited:

MF3R

I have the spiderwebshade, the half one not the full length, as far as head room goes yeah it droops down but doesn't touch my head and I'm average 5'10. And yeah it doesn't wrap around the roll but still fits quite nicely. Hope that helps [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
You won't notice the gaps. I have an Alienshade for my TJ, basically the same thing as the Spiderwebshade.

EDIT: I don't know a ton about the Bartact cover, but that sure does look like a lot of straps.... the Spiderwebshade/Alienshade looks like it would go on/off much quicker.

I have the full length spiderwebshade installed on my JKU. It was one of my first purchases. It fits great under my hardtop and never comes off. I live in Arizona and run topless as much as I can and it provides great protection.

I'm 6'4" and do not have any issues with head room.

As far as the gaps in the sides, I've never really noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
We've only had the Spiderwebshade on for a short time, however, we went in some mud a couple weeks ago and with trimmed fenders, the little mud balls made their way into those gaps and got the seats and passengers dirty. Other than that, don't notice the gaps.

81gk1nu-iTL._SL1500_.jpg

AdrockTT

The very best one is the Jeep Tops USA one. Solves all the issues of the cheaper shade tops.
-Goes all the way to the edges
-Does not use the bungee ball attachments. Uses actual straps. Able to adjust tension.
-Magnets hold the center section to your sound bar/B pillar hoop. No flap or motion even at 80 MPH.
-Has solid connection to the front headliner (again, not bungee balls).
-Able to get in any color/pattern you want.
-Able to get it to cover the whole rear (esp nice if you have kids or dogs).

Does cost a bit more than the cheaper ones. For me this was a great decision! I love mine :)

20161022_175745.jpg

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I think it boils down to what you're looking for, and how much you want to spend. For me, all I was looking for was something to lessen the time it takes the sun to turn me into a lobster. Other people may want full coverage, fancy designs, more straps, etc.

FWIW my alienshade uses the same springy ball looking things and I have 0 issues with them. The top also doesn't move around or flap at all, even at high speeds.

HoosierWolf

I have a Spiderwebshade. Seems really durable and I've never had an issue with it flapping even at highway speeds. The little gaps don't really bother me but I can see how they would allow mud in.

Last edited:

raven12

I have a spider web shade. You don't notice the gaps at all, really a non issue. The only issue with headroom is in the rear, where it dips a bit after the soundbar. Front is perfect. I loved it.

HoosierWolf

"For me, all I was looking for was something to lessen the time it takes the sun to turn me into a lobster." <- This. I'm bald and I love to have the top off the jeep but my onion dome fries really easily.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
"For me, all I was looking for was something to lessen the time it takes the sun to turn me into a lobster." <- This. I'm bald and I love to have the top off the jeep but my onion dome fries really easily.

Lol yep. I've never been able to rock a tan in my entire life, I ALWAYS burn. The shade helps lessen that but even wheeling with a top on, I still manage to get burnt somehow. Oh well...

GraniteCrystal

For me, Dirty Dog was the way to go. Solves all the same problems called out in an earlier post. No bungee balls, etc. Also still allows you to use the rear cross-member.

IMG_20160812_200805.jpg

IMG_20160812_201611.jpg

Stay on with hardtop
IMG_20160917_095545.jpg

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
The very best one is the Jeep Tops USA one. Solves all the issues of the cheaper shade tops.
-Goes all the way to the edges
-Does not use the bungee ball attachments. Uses actual straps. Able to adjust tension.
-Magnets hold the center section to your sound bar/B pillar hoop. No flap or motion even at 80 MPH.
-Has solid connection to the front headliner (again, not bungee balls).
-Able to get in any color/pattern you want.
-Able to get it to cover the whole rear (esp nice if you have kids or dogs).

Does cost a bit more than the cheaper ones. For me this was a great decision! I love mine :)

View attachment 252988

This is nice. I like it a lot....

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

AdrockTT

This is nice. I like it a lot....

MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

Thanks, I'm super happy with it, though it's def not the cheapest. It does wrap further over the rear C pillar header than the Dirty dog above.

Here's the info on their tops/comparison:
https://www.jtopsusa.com/jeep-mesh-shade-top-comparisons

FYI I have no affiliation with this company/site - just love the quality.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Thanks, I'm super happy with it, though it's def not the cheapest. It does wrap further over the rear C pillar header than the Dirty dog above.

Here's the info on their tops/comparison:
https://www.jtopsusa.com/jeep-mesh-shade-top-comparisons

FYI I have no affiliation with this company/site - just love the quality.

I looked at their website after seeing your post. It's definitely not the cheapest but really cool. I love the American flag. [emoji106]

DMF

I originally purchase the spidershade, then replace it with the bartact and went back to the spidershade. The gaps sucks when you're stuck in traffic and the sun is shining right through the gaps of the spidershade. But it fit so nicely under the soft or hard top not like the bartact. The bartact was a bitch to keep on when I wanted to use the soft or hard top together. Guess it wasn't intended to use both at the same time so I went back to the spidershade and bungee balls. Also with the bartact, even if you tighten the velcro strap down the rollbar padding will turn and the shade will loosen.

Amrth

I have the spiderwebshade, the half one not the full length, as far as head room goes yeah it droops down but doesn't touch my head and I'm average 5'10. And yeah it doesn't wrap around the roll but still fits quite nicely. Hope that helps [emoji846]

The droop down is my concern, thanks for the update

You won't notice the gaps. I have an Alienshade for my TJ, basically the same thing as the Spiderwebshade.

EDIT: I don't know a ton about the Bartact cover, but that sure does look like a lot of straps.... the Spiderwebshade/Alienshade looks like it would go on/off much quicker.

I think it boils down to what you're looking for, and how much you want to spend. For me, all I was looking for was something to lessen the time it takes the sun to turn me into a lobster. Other people may want full coverage, fancy designs, more straps, etc.

FWIW my alienshade uses the same springy ball looking things and I have 0 issues with them. The top also doesn't move around or flap at all, even at high speeds.

My budget is 150$ max! agree boils down if I want balls :blush: or Straps :cheesy:

I have the full length spiderwebshade installed on my JKU. It was one of my first purchases. It fits great under my hardtop and never comes off. I live in Arizona and run topless as much as I can and it provides great protection.

I'm 6'4" and do not have any issues with head room.

As far as the gaps in the sides, I've never really noticed.

Thanks for the info on the head room. How about sun peeping in-from the gaps?

I like the rugged ridge eclipse

Noted, will look into this product as well

We've only had the Spiderwebshade on for a short time, however, we went in some mud a couple weeks ago and with trimmed fenders, the little mud balls made their way into those gaps and got the seats and passengers dirty. Other than that, don't notice the gaps.

The gap is what is making me look for a fully covered shade. Thanks

Way over my budget, but looks great. Thanks

I have a Spiderwebshade. Seems really durable and I've never had an issue with it flapping even at highway speeds. The little gaps don't really bother me but I can see how they would allow mud in.

I have a spider web shade. You don't notice the gaps at all, really a non issue. The only issue with headroom is in the rear, where it dips a bit after the soundbar. Front is perfect. I loved it.

Thanks for the update :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom