The Winch Thread

Jersey_Devil

So after a quick search here on wayalife,I didn't find a winch thread. So I figured it would be a good idea to start a one. Now ppl who are interested in purchasing a new winch can make an informed decision because of the information we provide about our personal experiences with our winches. I don't want this to be a "my winch is better than urs" thread.... Just pros/cons & ur experiences.... So with that let's get this started!

1. What kind of winch do u own?
2. Pros/Cons?
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic?
4. Ever had to use it?
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I own a Warn XD9000i
Pros- its a Warn, it supposedly water proof (don't want to test it) great line speed and duty cycles
Cons- need an air compressor like the power plant
Steel line
I've only had to use it twice-once when I got stuck like a see-saw on a mound, and the second time my buddy got stuck in some thick mud and his quadratec 9.5k wasn't doing the job, but my Warn did!

1632256632_4724240197259.jpg

ForumRunner_20130203_141259.jpg

ForumRunner_20130203_141217.jpg

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
EDIT;

1. I have the superwinch talon 9.5.
Working load 9,500
5.2 hp, sealed
148:1 gear ratio
Installed weight 90 lbs

2. It's been great so far. It has a very fast line speed.

3. 80' of Synthetic line

4. I've intentionally gotten stuck and learned how to use the winch.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359921963.645576.jpg

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Last edited:

JUNKYARD DOG

1. What kind of winch do u own?
2. Pros/Cons?
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic?
4. Ever had to use it?

1. Warn 9.5ti
2.Pro- It is a Warn.
Con- Came with steel line.
3.Synthetic
-SAFETY- If it snaps it falls to the ground. Steel lines have the possibility of flying through the air. Injury or death may occur. God forbid damage to your Jeep. A fray in a steel line could leave you with a good sting on the hand even if you are wearing work gloves like you should.
-WEIGHT- I don't care for Heavy Metal.
-FLEXIBILITY- Synthetic is easy to handle and move around for when you are adding some pulleys into the equation.
4...EVER HAD TO USE IT? If you have a winch, go get stuck and learn how to use it. :rock:

....Was not impressed with the air compressor on the Power Plant. I would go with an ARB high output any day.

Last edited:

Jersey_Devil

3.Synthetic
-SAFETY- If it snaps it falls to the ground. Steel lines have the possibility of flying through the air. Injury or death may occur.

I didn't know synthetic will just drop to the ground..... Think I may switch.... And I have been looking at arb on board air

Serg5000

I have a n XRC 8 I got for free. One of the (Pro's).
It works very well. It has yet to not perform.
Price if I had purchased, roughly $300.00 for 8K.(pro)
I have a steel cable.
For me there is no con yet.

warn 8k steel line, used countless times. only con is in the directional lever is getting really hard to move over the years especial in the cold snow. 8 years later the line has some kinks in it, but ill stick to steel when i replace it. I always fallow proper safety rules when winching anyway so im not too worried when it does break. They do make steel lines that let out a high picked ring before they break which I might look into.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1. What kind of winch do u own? = WARN PowerPlant 9500
2. Pros = A real workhorse that has severed me well over 6 years now, comes with a great compressor and customer service that can't be beat
2. Cons = A bit pricey, very big and unless you mount it down between the frame rails, it'll block quite a bit of your grill.
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic? = Synthetic
4. Ever had to use it? = Oh yeah

Jersey_Devil

1. What kind of winch do u own? = WARN PowerPlant 9500
2. Pros = A real workhorse that has severed me well over 6 years now, comes with a great compressor and customer service that can't be beat
2. Cons = A bit pricey, very big and unless you mount it down between the frame rails, it'll block quite a bit of your grill.
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic? = Synthetic
4. Ever had to use it? = Oh yeah

I always wanted the Power Plant but I got a great deal on the XD9000i.... I'm in the market for an on board air system... Thinking about ARB, and I think I might switch to synthetic line..

Anybody else? I know there's a wide variety of winches out there on ur rigs!

DanMojo82

1. What kind of winch do u own? Warn M8000
2. Pros/Cons?
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel
4. Ever had to use it? - Only a few times

Pros- its a Warn, it's less expensive then other models but still works like I need it to
Cons- it's not the heaviest hitter out there, so weight might be an issue further down the road or if I try to winch out a heavier JKU

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I always wanted the Power Plant but I got a great deal on the XD9000i.... I'm in the market for an on board air system... Thinking about ARB, and I think I might switch to synthetic line..

Anybody else? I know there's a wide variety of winches out there on ur rigs!

I have heard you are not supposed to put synthetic line on a drum that previously had steel cable on so you might check that out. Maybe someone will chime in on that.

It would be my assumption that maybe the drum will be roughened up by the steel cable and it might grab the synthetic rope in a burr and cause a failure... now I'll have to Google it.. lol

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have heard you are not supposed to put synthetic line on a drum that previously had steel cable on so you might check that out. Maybe someone will chime in on that.

It would be my assumption that maybe the drum will be roughened up by the steel cable and it might grab the synthetic rope in a burr and cause a failure... now I'll have to Google it.. lol

Pretty sure that's aimed more toward the fairlead then the drum.

Jersey_Devil

I hope not...... Now I have to Google it! Lol

Tackerdown

Banned
Maybe this would be a good thread for some tech questions to. If they say you only need 50% above vehicle weight ( I would assume you would take in consideration maybe being axle deep in mud) but is it more important to consider being water tight , gear ratio and mtr amp?:thinking:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
1. What kind of winch do u own? Superwinch Talon 9.5i
2. Pros/Cons? I have a steel cable, which is annoying. Super fast pull speed.
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic? Steel
4. Ever had to use it? Oh yeah.

Jersey_Devil

Maybe this would be a good thread for some tech questions to. If they say you only need 50% above vehicle weight ( I would assume you would take in consideration maybe being axle deep in mud) but is it more important to consider being water tight , gear ratio and mtr amp?:thinking:

This is a good idea!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Ok I found this related to the rope installation on a drum that had wire rope previously. It was in the instructions for my synthetic rope install.

Note: When installing synthetic winch rope on a winch that has previously run wire rope, it is required that both the
winch drum and fairlead are closely inspected for any damage, nicks, or burrs that may damage the synthetic rope.
Using sandpaper, a scuffing pad, or equivalent, make sure drum and fairlead surfaces are free of any damage. It is
your responsibility to make sure the winch drum, fairlead and other items particular to your installation are free of
damage. We recommend a new aluminum hawse fairlead be used with your new synthetic rope.

And Overlander is correct as far as the fairlead. You need a hawse instead of the roller fairlead.

:thumb:

Tackerdown

Banned
Ok I found this related to the rope installation on a drum that had wire rope previously. It was in the instructions for my synthetic rope install.

Note: When installing synthetic winch rope on a winch that has previously run wire rope, it is required that both the
winch drum and fairlead are closely inspected for any damage, nicks, or burrs that may damage the synthetic rope.
Using sandpaper, a scuffing pad, or equivalent, make sure drum and fairlead surfaces are free of any damage. It is
your responsibility to make sure the winch drum, fairlead and other items particular to your installation are free of
damage. We recommend a new aluminum hawse fairlead be used with your new synthetic rope.

And Overlander is correct as far as the fairlead. You need a hawse instead of the roller fairlead.

:thumb:

:2thumbsup: good stuff

Top Bottom