Why aren't Lexan/Plexi Doors (or half doors) made for the JK?

AdrockTT

The recent Jeep Safari concept makes me question...why doesn't anyone make lexan/plexi, see-through doors (or half doors) for the current Wrangler? Race car panels are made of lexan, this certainly can be done. It can't make that much more noise or be that much less sturdy than aluminum trail doors. Sounds like a pretty neat and potentially ideal solution?

Motivation:
3-Jeep-Safari-Concept-Easter-Jeep-Safari-4-11-2017.jpg
2-Jeep-Safari-Concept-Easter-Jeep-Safari-4-11-2017.jpg

TRLJNKY

I would think it would work on a pavement princess but would get trashed offroad. Before long they would look cloudy from all the scratches not to mention the yellowing

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

AdrockTT

I would think it would work on a pavement princess but would get trashed offroad. Before long they would look cloudy from all the scratches not to mention the yellowing

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

Always a concern - though there are some pretty scratch resistant plastics and materials out there...just the cost would rise to use the higher grade stuff.

It can't be too bad an idea, given that people are already running open tube doors, metal half doors w cut slats in the bottom for visibility (like Evo), etc. The Mopar ones on the jeep above don't look too bad...

Napalm

Imagine the Evo half doors (w the visibility slots) but with plexi lower panels + optional upper windows. Would prob be the best of all half door worlds!

Agreed! My reasoning behind wanting half doors is to cut wine when running doorless. I wonder if the cuts seen in the EVO doors or the doors Mopar used on the Switchback effect that? I would assume just slightly. But a plexi cover it would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

geberhard

Douchebag
several buggies are running Lexan pannels, so shoudl not be a big deal. Plexyglass should be avoided, more prone to scratching and will leave jagged edges when it breaks. as far as heat, pretty negligible I believe, Lexan is also used extensively for offroad windshields (again buggies and some other rigs) and body skins and does not retain much heat (it is as much as a magnifying glass as a regular glass windsheield lol ) :)

Aside form cool factor Lexan will deform, fade, scratch as mentioned, but a cool idea nonetheless

jesse3638

Hooked
Ever flown front seat in a Lama? It's like being in a plastic bubble and until you get some airflow you know what all the ants I burned with a magnifying glass felt like...haha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Lexan is definitely the way to goperiod period period however you would probably cook sitting in traffic. But I guess that's what you have air conditioning for! It does look kind of cool I have to admit but the only thing I would be concerned with is even though lexan is extremely durable, we use it in our machines at work for the windows... If it ever did break it's not going to break like glass. You're going to have long Jagged shards everywhere everywhere... but like I said it is extremely durable. You can take a hammer and smash it and can't really break it. It looks like the Jeep in the pictures is more for a tourist design set up. Not saying anything bad just saying it looks like that's why they have the windows like that. A good set of EXO cage doors would provide plenty of protection and lots of wind. I will say the suicide doors on that look pretty sick though!

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom