Flying with King Coilovers

Patton007

Soo I'm stationed in Hawaii and it costs a bomb to ship a EVO mfg front Coilovers conversion here. I'll be back in Cali next month so I was planning on picking the conversion up while I was there and flying it home with me as a "checked bag" or 2. So what I'm wondering is has anyone tried to take Coilovers on a plane before specifically kings which ( which are nitrogen filled) and did TSA or anyone give you problems for having them since they are under pressure? Thanks IMG_0845.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Your gonna waste a whole lot of money cause I guarantee you that either tsa takes them or something happens to them on the plane.

Ddays

Hooked
Call the airline and check with them. They may let you check them in baggage. Never hurts to ask.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Nitrogen is an inert gas that is used in multiple aircraft parts. You shouldn't have any issue. I'd inbox them and pack them in a decent bag/suitcase. Another Wayalife member here from Dubai did the same, took the parts from LA to Dubai.

Patton007

Nitrogen is an inert gas that is used in multiple aircraft parts. You shouldn't have any issue. I'd inbox them and pack them in a decent bag/suitcase. Another Wayalife member here from Dubai did the same, took the parts from LA to Dubai.

Ok awesome sounds good. I'll give that a try. Worse comes to worst they don't let me take them and I'll just have my parents put it in a flat rate usps box and ship it here. Should be interesting to see what TSA says though.

tdougherty81

I didn't think it would be an issue but found this on a TSA blog.

Shock absorbers are allowed in checked baggage as long as they do not have sealed, compressed gas cylinders or hazardous materials. If the shock absorbers are sealed with compressed gas, they will not be allowed in checked baggage. Even if a shock absorber is not sealed with compressed gas, if it contains a residue or vapors of oil or gasoline, it is considered a hazardous material and will be removed from checked baggage by the airline.

Patton007

I didn't think it would be an issue but found this on a TSA blog.

Shock absorbers are allowed in checked baggage as long as they do not have sealed, compressed gas cylinders or hazardous materials. If the shock absorbers are sealed with compressed gas, they will not be allowed in checked baggage. Even if a shock absorber is not sealed with compressed gas, if it contains a residue or vapors of oil or gasoline, it is considered a hazardous material and will be removed from checked baggage by the airline.

Crap. I guess I might have to flat rate ship it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what you'd do with coil overs in Hawaii but assuming you have the means to work on them, I would just order up your coil overs without them being charged and then charge them up once you're there.

Patton007

Not sure what you'd do with coil overs in Hawaii but assuming you have the means to work on them, I would just order up your coil overs without them being charged and then charge them up once you're there.

There really isn't much you can do with them on Oahu. There is a spot called peacock flats that you can put them to pretty good use on. But I'm just building up the JKU so when I get back to SoCal with in the next year I can have it ready to do some good trails that I've always wanted to do like the dusey ershim trail and rubicon trail, Moab etc...

jesse3638

Hooked
There really isn't much you can do with them on Oahu. There is a spot called peacock flats that you can put them to pretty good use on. But I'm just building up the JKU so when I get back to SoCal with in the next year I can have it ready to do some good trails that I've always wanted to do like the dusey ershim trail and rubicon trail, Moab etc...

Being that it seems you will be back in So-Cal in less than a year I wouldn't go through all the hassle of trying to get them over there and install them. Plus with all the Salt air I can only imagine what that will do to them. Just be patient and install them once you are back. Just my 2 cents

Patton007

Being that it seems you will be back in So-Cal in less than a year I wouldn't go through all the hassle of trying to get them over there and install them. Plus with all the Salt air I can only imagine what that will do to them. Just be patient and install them once you are back. Just my 2 cents

Yeah might just have to put the money away and wait. I forgot about all the salt and acid In the dirt. :/

Top Bottom