2004 WJ Project

DVLDOG

So, I thought I had a solid daily driver in my recent purchase of this WJ, and come to find out that the Jeep gods have given me a project. :)

Just got back from the shop in which I had them do a purchase inspection and this is the list I get to work on over the next few months (at the discretion of the money gods):

• Bank 1 Cat is bad (the shop doesn't have the ability to wield a new one in and the muffler shop they work with cant either.)
  • Both Valve cover gaskets are leaking
  • Timing cover leaks
  • Power Steering pump leaks
  • Oil pan leaks
  • Passenger side Diff bushing is cracked
  • Passenger side Axle shaft boot is torn
  • Passenger side air is not blowing as hard as the driver side
  • Front pads and rotors (passenger side is the worst)
  • T-Case may be leaking but it also may be from the other leaks

Any words of wisdom or tips would be very appreciated.

WJCO

Meme King
So, I thought I had a solid daily driver in my recent purchase of this WJ, and come to find out that the Jeep gods have given me a project. :)

Just got back from the shop in which I had them do a purchase inspection and this is the list I get to work on over the next few months (at the discretion of the money gods):

• Bank 1 Cat is bad (the shop doesn't have the ability to wield a new one in and the muffler shop they work with cant either.)
  • Timing cover leaks
  • Oil pan leaks

Any words of wisdom or tips would be very appreciated.

Is it setting a code? Have you taken it in for emissions yet and did it pass?
    So are mine. 160k on mine. They're not dripping on the ground so I'm just keeping an eye on them. Passenger side looks like a bitch.
  • Timing cover leaks
    How bad is the leak? Are noticing fluid on the ground?
  • Oil pan leaks
    How bad? Upload a picture of the leaks.
    If it's not flexing or causing movement, leave it for now, these are a bitch to do on the Jeep. Good time for an axle swap :D See if you can upload a picture of that as well.
    Definitely get this one done so you have 4x4. Eventually the joint will where out. Replace the axle with a new one regardless, I wouldn't waste the time doing just the boot.
    This could be a lot of issues. If you can live with it, I would, otherwise dash may have to come out. Sometimes by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, you can reset the HVAC module memory and it may work properly.
    Definitely get this done, if brakes are down below 30%. Cheap and easy.
    Take a picture as well. I can probably help you identify it as I've had at least 2 leaks back there. Repaired with FlexSeal :D or updated snapring plug.

Are you planning on doing this yourself or paying a shop to do it? Keeping up on an older vehicle can cost you some money. If you can live with some of these things, it may not need to be repaired immediately. Are any of the leaks dripping on the ground?

DVLDOG

Thanks WJCO for the help.

I am seeing the P0420 code and it is steady and I have not tried emissions yet. Don't they kick you to the curb if you have any warning lights on now? I heard they just plug into the vehicle and pull the codes instead of running it on the dyno.

In truth I am not seeing a lot of leakage on the ground....the PO did say he was going through oil a bit faster every 3k. Now I know why. All the areas show fresh oil. I will try to get some pics later.

It is driving great so far. I can live with anything that will not make the issue worse by doing so. It can also sit in the driveway if needed. I have my 88 Electra Glide to ride to work if I have to.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks WJCO for the help.

I am seeing the P0420 code and it is steady and I have not tried emissions yet. Don't they kick you to the curb if you have any warning lights on now? I heard they just plug into the vehicle and pull the codes instead of running it on the dyno.

In truth I am not seeing a lot of leakage on the ground....the PO did say he was going through oil a bit faster every 3k. Now I know why. All the areas show fresh oil. I will try to get some pics later.

It is driving great so far. I can live with anything that will not make the issue worse by doing so. It can also sit in the driveway if needed. I have my 88 Electra Glide to ride to work if I have to.

Yeah, a steady 420 code will likely fail. I would look around for a shop that will weld in an aftermarket cat. A lot of shops will do that. Now some of the WJs had 2 cats up by engine depending on Federal vs California emissions and those are harder to replace. But if you have the single cat down by the muffler, that's easy for a shop to replace. I did mine with an aftermarket (for clearance), I may even have the old cat lying around if you want, if you have the same style. As far as the oil leaks, just keep an eye on the level and watch it.

Here's how I did my exhaust, cat is easy to get to:

IMG_20170120_144101_516.jpg

IMG_20170120_144231_695.jpg

DVLDOG

Yeah...I have the two cat version....is it possible to switch to a single? They are also welded in and the two shops already told me they are not setup to do it. A new replacement is $713 with labor comes to $933.00...I can let two of my four kids not eat for a week, but not all four for that cost LOL.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah...I have the two cat version....is it possible to switch to a single? They are also welded in and the two shops already told me they are not setup to do it. A new replacement is $713 with labor comes to $933.00...I can let two of my four kids not eat for a week, but not all four for that cost LOL.

Theoretically, one cat is plenty, but the eco-nazis don't see it that way. If you decide to attempt it, do your research as there are certain laws that have to be followed with how they have to be replaced in the same spots, etc. The other issue you'll run into is that you likely have more o2 sensors with your current set up, and those all have to send data to the pcm, so it may not be worth it in the long run. I would highly recommend searching some online junkyards or eBay for a used replacement pipe that has the cats in it. Go with a junkyard that has good reviews and you're likely to get a good working part.

Just did a quick eBay search, lots of options. Here's a really cheap one all set up with cats and o2 bungs. Make sure you get the correct one though.

Untitled.jpg

DVLDOG

Thanks WJCO...that is a good start. Do you have any recommended yards in the area that are good to hit?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks WJCO...that is a good start. Do you have any recommended yards in the area that are good to hit?

I haven't been to a local yard in years. Especially now that online shopping is so available and I work from a fricken desk all the time. I know there's a big one in Denver/Englewood off of Santa Fe.

DVLDOG

I'm at the desk all the time also....feel your pain :)

Thanks for the assist, we should get together some time for a beer or other beverage. I am 15 mins from Boulder.

DVLDOG

Changed out the rotors and pads on the front this weekend. Washed the engine bay (while it was snowing...lol). The leaks didn't look as bad as I would think, so I am going to keep an eye on them this week and see what the levels look like this weekend. One of the cats is bad...so I will be putting some cash aside to get that replaced. Then hopefully I will be emissions ready and can get some plates attached.

I am seeing the airbag light come on during cold mornings. It seems once the cabin warms up it goes away. So not sure the issue there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just started catching up on this thread. Always nice to see rigs other than JK's on here.

Regarding your air bag light, that is an odd one. Always tough figuring out issues like that when they go away on their own.

DVLDOG

Just started catching up on this thread. Always nice to see rigs other than JK's on here.

Regarding your air bag light, that is an odd one. Always tough figuring out issues like that when they go away on their own.

Thanks for this site and all the work everyone puts into it. I truly appreciate people who are willing to share of themselves and their knowledge!

The light is low on this list, but I'll keep track to see if I can notice any other trends that might point to something solid. I hate just throwing parts at a problem because I cant afford that :) but will if there is no other choice.

jamesrw30

On the air bag light, I believe I remember reading that the clock spring can cause the light to come on. I could be wrong on this and confusing it with another issue. Might be worth checking into though. Also, with the air not blowing strong on the passenger side. Could it be the blend doors not opening all the way or something like that? I know the blend doors are a common problem with out WJ's.

WJCO

Meme King
One thing I've seen on various manufacturer's regarding intermittent air bag lights is high resistance in the circuit that can be something as simple as dirty connections at your under seat connections. Can't recall if I've seen it on a WJ, but I've seen it on a lot of vehicles over the years.

DVLDOG

On the air bag light, I believe I remember reading that the clock spring can cause the light to come on. I could be wrong on this and confusing it with another issue. Might be worth checking into though. Also, with the air not blowing strong on the passenger side. Could it be the blend doors not opening all the way or something like that? I know the blend doors are a common problem with out WJ's.

Thanks for the help.

I have also read about both of those issues. Right now the light goes off and stays off when the cabin is above 45 degrees it seems. And I don't see it again the rest of the day driving. So if there was a faulty clockspring i would think it would be more intermittent possibly. But I will watch it.

I thought on the blend doors that the issue was getting the desired temp to each side. The temp changes work so far on both sides. I think the shop felt there just was not enough air going to the passenger side compared to the drivers. But that could be an issue if it is blocking the air. This is pretty low on my list to fix right now and I can deal with it in the meantime.

DVLDOG

UPDATE:

We were able to get the new cat pipes in...it was quite the task. Everything has been running well and I was able to get plates on the ride finally. Took the kiddos up some of the Switzerland trail outside of Boulder to see how she runs. It went pretty good.

File Jul 30, 11 13 27 AM.jpg

First off, it took some major time in getting the old cats out. There is one bolt on the top of the passenger side that is next to impossible to get a hand up there to get the bollt out. This thing held out for a week before my Dad torched a wrench to be able to get to the top flange nut to get the bolt out.

Putting the new pipes in we cut the flange so that it would slide onto the bolt and easier to get off next time.

File Jul 30, 10 53 34 AM.jpeg

Now, these replacement pipes are the same part number of the ones that were on the WJ when I purchased it. But they were not the same. Which really sucked.

The older set were longer in the neck and the newer one was shorter by an inch or more and would not reach to the manifold. So we had to do some cutting and replacing.'

File Jul 30, 10 54 23 AM.jpeg

File Jul 30, 10 54 03 AM.jpeg

The other issue we ran into was the pipe bend on the passenger side was running into the oil pan. So we had to pull out the persuader and get to persuading for it to fit with about an 8th of an inch sapce between the two.

File Jul 30, 10 53 53 AM.jpeg

With that completed, the final hurdle was that we were not able to mate the muffler and the cats up easily. So my Dad made a sleeve for both pipes to go in and clamped them together.

File Jul 30, 10 53 23 AM.jpeg

She has a deeper idle sound now which is nice coming from a V8 but I may be getting a new muffler here soon as the one on there had to be pulled to the front a bit more in order for everything too come together.

But for now she rides smooth and throws no codes!!

Time to move on to some other less needful areas to work on. That old stereo has got to be retired.

Attachments

• File Jul 30, 11 11 46 AM.jpg
    File Jul 30, 11 11 46 AM.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 24

WJCO

Meme King
Glad to see you working on this again. I was just talking to the wife about this trail yesterday. We hope to do it this year.

DVLDOG

Slow and steady wins he race, hahaha...it was fun, we didn't do the whole trail as the kids had to be back home but we had a good time. Especially for a first try with the WJ.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom