So confused. Newb with a new JKUR

Mark85383

Been out a few times now on a pretty rugged trail near me. So far I've figured out using the stabilizer disconnect makes a huge difference on this heavily rutted, rocky trail. Climbs like a goat in low. Used the lock outs in some of the tougher climbs. Bottomed once on a rock that was pretty much unavoidable no matter the line I took. Avoiding anything that can cause body damage. So far everything I've encountered has been doable as I've yet to go beyond the limits of 100% stock Rubicon. This is my daily driver. 50 miles highway round trip to work. 20 minutes to the trail.
So my conundrum. I seriously don't need to upgrade anything yet. I did drop 1200 into a sound system though. Thing is the "mail truck" look. I don't want to trash my Rubicon suspension. 18/59 springs and red shocks. They seem quite capable. Also the tires are excellent so far. So what can I do to make this look a bit more Jeep and less USPS? Will I lose any off road capabilities with a leveling kit and perhaps wheel spacers. Have tools, compressor etc. and moderate skills. I could leave it as is but it just doesn't look the part although standing next to it the tires look huge. Again I can't help but thinking how much of a waste trashing the tires and suspension is. Long story but again, leveling kit, spacers for a better look and no loss of performance? Other opinions. Anyone near me, NW Peoria, Az? Looking to join a group or club.

2017 JKUR

tgoss

Been out a few times now on a pretty rugged trail near me. So far I've figured out using the stabilizer disconnect makes a huge difference on this heavily rutted, rocky trail. Climbs like a goat in low. Used the lock outs in some of the tougher climbs. Bottomed once on a rock that was pretty much unavoidable no matter the line I took. Avoiding anything that can cause body damage. So far everything I've encountered has been doable as I've yet to go beyond the limits of 100% stock Rubicon. This is my daily driver. 50 miles highway round trip to work. 20 minutes to the trail.
So my conundrum. I seriously don't need to upgrade anything yet. I did drop 1200 into a sound system though. Thing is the "mail truck" look. I don't want to trash my Rubicon suspension. 18/59 springs and red shocks. They seem quite capable. Also the tires are excellent so far. So what can I do to make this look a bit more Jeep and less USPS? Will I lose any off road capabilities with a leveling kit and perhaps wheel spacers. Have tools, compressor etc. and moderate skills. I could leave it as is but it just doesn't look the part although standing next to it the tires look huge. Again I can't help but thinking how much of a waste trashing the tires and suspension is. Long story but again, leveling kit, spacers for a better look and no loss of performance? Other opinions. Anyone near me, NW Peoria, Az? Looking to join a group or club.

2017 JKUR

It's crazy, I have a girl friend who is new to all this with a gorgeous tan 2017 rubicon hard rock and it's such a capable machine. It's cool to watch her do all the shit we do and lift tires etc and she has the biggest smile on her face.

If you don't care to drop too much coin, I would buy some wheel spacers, 35's and a leveling kit, call it a day.

If it were mine..... well I'm a complete retard so that thing would be torn apart by now and I'd be searching for a new beer or my missing socket.

Congrats on the new rig, you can't go wrong with a new rubi :thumb:

Draconianwinter

The rubicon is definitely very capable. I have the jkr. If you have the standard rubi with the plastic bumpers, then I would say get better ones. Lod, evo or poison spyder. First thing to do though I think are skids. Oil pan, trans, and evap skids I think are a must. Especially if you have the auto trans

sent from your basement

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think a leveling kit from daystar, some 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers, and skid plates (oil and trans skid) would server you very well. Also add in some recovery gear just incase your out alone and get stuck

Napalm

Leveling kit, wheel spacers, Rubi wheels and tires, and some armor here and there. Keep you in budget and make it look a Little less like your delivering mail!
IMG_2143.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mark85383

So skids are first as for me function always trumps form. Spacers and a leveling kit next week and holding on to tires until they wear then 285/70/r17s. Thanks for the advice.

2017 JKUR

Bmans08jk

2017 JKUR
I'm in gilbert AZ. Anytime you want to go wheeling hit me up.

Sent from my LG-H918 using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Were it me, I wouldn't add wheel spacers, unless I needed them to clear larger tires. Oil pan/transmission skid, first. You may want to consider frame mounted sliders, like LoD or EVO brands.

A 1.5" leveling kit will make it look a little better, IMO, and won't hurt a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
I think a leveling kit from daystar, some 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers, and skid plates (oil and trans skid) would server you very well. Also add in some recovery gear just incase your out alone and get stuck

Coz

Who needs an oil pan skid !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I do !!!!!!!!

Zstairlessone

Were it me, I wouldn't add wheel spacers, unless I needed them to clear larger tires. Oil pan/transmission skid, first. You may want to consider frame mounted sliders, like LoD or EVO brands. A 1.5" leveling kit will make it look a little better, IMO, and won't hurt a thing. Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree with everything here, and x4 on the wheel spacers

Spartan99

No no no. It needs a complete rebuild. Rubi's aren't that great.

Signed,

JKUX owner who finds all sorts of perfectly good Rubi upgrades on CL for next to nothing.

Top Bottom