Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4" Plush Ride Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by moteaux View Post
    Yes, we shall see. And don't worry, I'm not gonna ask for a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    We offer the china shop return/refund policy here - You break it, you bought it! LOL. What springs? Me no have no record...

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    It kind of sounds like you arent happy with your shocks. The Plushride is a soft spring, so the harshness you are feeling is MOST likely from the compression/rebound rates of the shock. While it is in theory good to pair the soft springs with a stiffer shock, perhaps your Fox shocks are a little TOO stiff for your liking when paired with such a soft spring? The reason you didnt feel "harshness" before was because the spring was heavier so the shock didnt have to work as hard to slow things down. The spring took more of the impact load... if that makes sense? I.E. the axle (and thus shock) is now moving further thanks to the softer spring
    This is good advice. Do you have the "tuned" fox shocks or off the shelf? Off the shelf fox's are REALLY nitro charged and very stiff. Also, have you changed your tire pressure? It will have a large impact on your ride quality. You can have the softest setup ever but if you're running 40psi in your tires it'll still be harsh.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    It kind of sounds like you arent happy with your shocks. The Plushride is a soft spring, so the harshness you are feeling is MOST likely from the compression/rebound rates of the shock. While it is in theory good to pair the soft springs with a stiffer shock, perhaps your Fox shocks are a little TOO stiff for your liking when paired with such a soft spring? The reason you didnt feel "harshness" before was because the spring was heavier so the shock didnt have to work as hard to slow things down. The spring took more of the impact load... if that makes sense? I.E. the axle (and thus shock) is now moving further thanks to the softer spring
    Actually, it's a very valid point and one to certainly consider. I thought the ride vastly improved by switching to the shocks, but after the spring were changed now there is a complaint. You have to consider it all as a system and figure out what is the culprit

The hell of it is in this case, there was a lot of changes at one time to pinpoint said culprit. But I can't help think, though, that too many people are happy with the 4" Plush Rides and Fox 2.0. It's a fairly common combination so you could have pinpointed what I alluded to in the beginning and is it just a personal preference? And am I not happy with the shock valving?

I should make it clear, though, it's not horrible. At all. Just not the 1972 Cadillac boat ride I was expecting from the posts I have read. I was really concerned it may be the opposite and TOO soft for my liking with a wallowing feel in corners and such. It corners very well and I am happy with that, it's just that I definitely wouldn't consider my ride a "Plush" ride, and it actually had more of a sport or performance feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrockTT View Post
    We offer the china shop return/refund policy here - You break it, you bought it! LOL. What springs? Me no have no record...
    Prolly Chinese springs in Evo boxes! 🤣

I have only installed and driven the plush springs matched with King 2.5 shocks, but I definitely wouldn't characterize the combo as a cadillac boat ride. To my personal butt meter though, it is softer than some of the other lifts I have driven. To me, the softness might be more about having effective up travel and stuff on an obstacle than it is about the response to a speed bump (which is just a quick hit, not a prolonged stuff).

I've ran plush coils for nearly 7 years with a variety of shocks and I'll tell you, in my opinion and from my experience, the harshness you are feeling is from the shocks not the coils. I had the Elka shocks for about 4 years or so and they started out pretty good but fell off a couple years later and all speed bumps, road bumps, pot holes etc. were very harsh and jarring. My buddy ran the Fox shocks with plush coils and I felt they were similar.

Fast forward to my current setup, 4" plush coils w/ King 2.5" adjustable shocks and they roll over and eat up everything in their path. I'm running EVO draglink flip and rear raised trackbar bracket, all 8 adjustable short arms with my rear axle set back an inch or so, PR44 front w/ pro steers. The ride is awesome to me, I love it. I'm sure I feel it a bit more with the short arms but I have no complaints.

I would suggest (as others would) trying out the Rancho 9000 shocks paired with the plush rides as they are pretty cheap.
    Last edited by aermotor; 04-20-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    Idiot with a JK

Quote Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
    Fast forward to my current setup, 4" plush coils w/ King 2.5" adjustable shocks and they roll over and eat up everything in their path. I'm running EVO draglink flip and rear raised trackbar bracket, all 8 adjustable short arms with my rear axle set back an inch or so, PR44 front w/ pro steers. The ride is awesome to me, I love it. I'm sure I feel it a bit more with the short arms but I have no complaints.
    Interesting that you mention the 2.5 Kings. I was just reading about them.

I can't justify spending the money just yet, but by your list, our set up sounds fairly similar and maybe an ultimate direction that I would purse.

Still interesting that I loved the Fox before the Evo and don't care for the ride all that much now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    I have only installed and driven the plush springs matched with King 2.5 shocks, but I definitely wouldn't characterize the combo as a cadillac boat ride. To my personal butt meter though, it is softer than some of the other lifts I have driven. To me, the softness might be more about having effective up travel and stuff on an obstacle than it is about the response to a speed bump (which is just a quick hit, not a prolonged stuff).
    Great points and I have by no means written off my set up. I need to get more seat time and see how they actually work Offroad and if I'm happy there.

I was just ho-hum about the set up after getting installed and driving, considering the rave reviews.

When I first ran 4" evo coils I had them paired with the Fox shocks (they may have been the teraflex tuned ones) they paired really poorly with the evo coils imo, so I swapped them out for rancho 9000xls which I have been happy with how they pair with the plush rides

Yea I've read quite a few instances where the Fox tuned shocks don't seem ti pair well with the plush coils. I see a lot of good things about the Ranchos. You can also get non-adjustable King 2.5s, but I still think the Rancho 9000 are the way to go.
    Idiot with a JK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast