4" Plush Ride Expectations

moteaux

Ok, let me just start by saying that I know ride is a personal preference and by the time I finish this post, I will likely be accused of blasphemy, WW3, WMDs and hating puppies. BTW, I love puppies.

I recently have been going through some upgrades. I had an RC 3.5 lift on my jeep with the RC shocks. It didn't take long, but the ride quality deteriorated some, but it actually wasn't bad. In the process of gathering parts for my upgrades, I acquired some low mileage Fox 2.0 shocks and Evo 4" Plush ride coils (NIB). I quickly swapped in the shocks and noticed an immediate difference in ride quality and was highly impressed with the improvement.

Next, I changed the coils when I did my axle swap. The 4" coils gave me nearly 2 inches height over the 3.5RC. I'm sure there will be more settling in and they will lose a bit of this but that's what I measure currently. Also, I will note that I am still running the stock rear control arms and have ordered longer, adjustable LCA/UCA to put the axle back in place. Running 37s, it's really close to the rock rails with stock arms (pic attached) and will be corrected. IMG_5010.jpg

Here is said blasphemy. To me it doesn't ride as well as with the RC set up with the Fox upgrade. I'm hoping that some of this will be remedied by control arms getting the rear back in more correct position, but I'm not sure if I can count on that. Also, I am hoping with break-in time, they will get better. My best way to describe the current ride quality is that it's ok in terms of harshness, with a bit more jarring sensation on initial impact of things like road deviations or speed bumps at Home Depot. I have yet to find a suitable mall to really put it to the test, and unfortunately I'm out of the country for work and can't do much until I get back, except ask questions on forums and throw parts catalogs at it. I prefer the former.

The questions will be asked so I will say that I followed the torque specs given in the write ups, but will double check when I get home to ensure none of the arms are over torqued and causing some of the harshness.

So I guess I was expecting a much better ride over the previous setup, but currently a bit disappointed. Looking for ways to ensure that I have done due diligence in addressing installation QA and anything else plus any forum users experience on break in times and expectations, if any exist.

Thanks and looking forward to experiences and suggestions.

BTW, I like cats too... if they're cooked right.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
When you installed the lift did you wait til torque your control arms till it was on the ground? Did you also give the Jeep a good shake down to help it settle a little during that process? The control arms could be binding a little

As for the coils, just give them a little time. They should settle a hair under the weight of your Jeep

moteaux

When you installed the lift did you wait til torque your control arms till it was on the ground? Did you also give the Jeep a good shake down to help it settle a little during that process? The control arms could be binding a little

As for the coils, just give them a little time. They should settle a hair under the weight of your Jeep

I guess I should say the ride height at current level doesn't bother me. Just surprised at the gain over the 3.5RC. Settling in will be anticipated a bit more then? Thinking as it settles in it may soften up.

Good point about torquing the bolts. I would say I got them "fairly" tight then did the final check to appropriate torque once on the ground. No qualms with going back and loosening them up and then doing over again, especially the front. The rears will be replaced soon. I ordered new and I see you sold the Synergy brand Cozdude 🤣

Thanks for the reply and pointers

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I guess I should say the ride height at current level doesn't bother me. Just surprised at the gain over the 3.5RC. Settling in will be anticipated a bit more then? Thinking as it settles in it may soften up.

Good point about torquing the bolts. I would say I got them "fairly" tight then did the final check to appropriate torque once on the ground. No qualms with going back and loosening them up and then doing over again, especially the front. The rears will be replaced soon. I ordered new and I see you sold the Synergy brand Cozdude 🤣

Thanks for the reply and pointers

When you measured your ride height where did you measure? Did you measure the coil spring perch or did you use a fender?

For the bolts I would just loosen them all on a flat surface, then you jump on the front and rear of the Jeep a couple times to help the bushings free up and it should let everything fall into place, then you can go back and torque it all to spec.

Lol yes I sold the arms.

WJCO

Meme King
4 inch lift on short arms, you will definitely feel the bumps and imperfections more IMO. Also, I'm assuming your already had a drag link flip with your previous lift?

tdougherty81

When you get back into town let me know. You can take mine for a spin and compare the two since we are both on 4" plush.

moteaux

Use this diagram to measure lift height instead
View attachment 254280

JK FAQ - Answers to Questions Every Newbie has about the Jeep JK Wrangler

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=2180

Yep, I learned shortly after that the correct way. Was a bit embarrassed to post that but you asked. 🤣. All things being equal, if I repeat the same it should still be the same overall net, right. Fender skirt, inside perchlorate outside lip. But I did learn the error of my ways and you have reinforced that. But my 3.5 measure and current 4 in measure were done the same for comparisons sake.

moteaux

Weld on bracket or bolt on and is everything tight? You can get some pretty bad road transfer to the vehicle if anything is loose there as well.

WJCO the axle has the optional raised track bar bracket.

IMG_5025.JPG

As for the flipped drag link, I'm sorry I am a bit confused if you mean a bracket for that.

I am not sure which vendor provided the flip, but the person I bought from thought it was AEV. I bought the PR44 as a pkg upgrade from my D30 from someone stepping up to 60s.

Appreciate very much the help and suggestions.

WJCO

Meme King
WJCO the axle has the optional raised track bar bracket.

As for the flipped drag link, I'm sorry I am a bit confused if you mean a bracket for that.

I am not sure which vendor provided the flip, but the person I bought from thought it was AEV. I bought the PR44 as a pkg upgrade from my D30 from someone stepping up to 60s.

Appreciate very much the help and suggestions.

I was referring to the track bar bracket so you're good there. And I assume track bar is mounted in the top hole?

moteaux

I was referring to the track bar bracket so you're good there. And I assume track bar is mounted in the top hole?

Yessir, it is.

If it helps clarify things a bit, it's not a steering complaint that I have. I do notice more road feedback, but that's not what I'm trying to assess. What I'm really trying to hone in on seems to be spring related to me.

The overall ride seems slightly more firm than the RC coils with the Fox 2.0 shocks, but an initial impact on something such as a road divot, parking lot speed bumps and similar, seem to be harsher than I was expecting from the rave reviews on here with these coils. The initial compression of the spring is certainly felt, and the rebound seems slightly quicker. If I were still dirt bike racing. I would be setting sag and adjusting clickers.

Cozdude gave me some things for concern to QA my install in the manner I torqued up the fasteners, so I will certainly be investigating that.

Or was my expectation too high? Was the RC setup better than I thought? At any rate, I do appreciate the suggestions and will look it all over again when I get home with the advice given in mind.

AdrockTT

When you get back into town let me know. You can take mine for a spin and compare the two since we are both on 4" plush.

Riding in his will def help sort out if this is an isolated issue with your Jeep/install needing more troubleshooting or if that's just the way they ride (given that you both have/will have pretty similar setups). Do the bolt torque checks at ride height/weight and def ride in his back to back. I'm scratching my head too as internet lore would certainly favor the Plush coils over RCs.

moteaux

Riding in his will def help sort out if this is an isolated issue with your Jeep/install needing more troubleshooting or if that's just the way they ride (given that you both have/will have pretty similar setups). Do the bolt torque checks at ride height/weight and def ride in his back to back. I'm scratching my head too as internet lore would certainly favor the Plush coils over RCs.

Yes, we shall see. And don't worry, I'm not gonna ask for a refund. [emoji6]

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Yessir, it is.

If it helps clarify things a bit, it's not a steering complaint that I have. I do notice more road feedback, but that's not what I'm trying to assess. What I'm really trying to hone in on seems to be spring related to me.

The overall ride seems slightly more firm than the RC coils with the Fox 2.0 shocks, but an initial impact on something such as a road divot, parking lot speed bumps and similar, seem to be harsher than I was expecting from the rave reviews on here with these coils. The initial compression of the spring is certainly felt, and the rebound seems slightly quicker. If I were still dirt bike racing. I would be setting sag and adjusting clickers.

Cozdude gave me some things for concern to QA my install in the manner I torqued up the fasteners, so I will certainly be investigating that.

Or was my expectation too high? Was the RC setup better than I thought? At any rate, I do appreciate the suggestions and will look it all over again when I get home with the advice given in mind.

It kind of sounds like you arent happy with your shocks. The Plushride is a soft spring, so the harshness you are feeling is MOST likely from the compression/rebound rates of the shock. While it is in theory good to pair the soft springs with a stiffer shock, perhaps your Fox shocks are a little TOO stiff for your liking when paired with such a soft spring? The reason you didnt feel "harshness" before was because the spring was heavier so the shock didnt have to work as hard to slow things down. The spring took more of the impact load... if that makes sense? I.E. the axle (and thus shock) is now moving further thanks to the softer spring :idontknow:

Last edited:
Top Bottom