another shock question?

Wethy

i have a Rubicon Express 2.5" lift with the monotube shocks. i was noticing at ride height today that i have about 5" of the shaft showing on the shock, and about 2" between the bumpstop and the extension that came with my lift. my question is this. assuming i cycle the suspension, and check brake lines, coil seating and any other aspects, could i get longer shocks up front or add something like a shock extension(probably new shocks) to help keep all 4 wheels on the ground? and how much shock shaft should be showing when the shock is collapsed i dont want to bottom them out.

the rubicon express site says the shocks are only 24.14" extended and 14.80" collapsed so i figure as long as my brake lines wont be taught, and the coil wont become unseated i should be able to add a longer shock.

also i am running an adams driveshaft up front so i wont need to worry about the OEM driveline issues

thanks in advance.

J

JKDream

i have a Rubicon Express 2.5" lift with the monotube shocks. i was noticing at ride height today that i have about 5" of the shaft showing on the shock, and about 2" between the bumpstop and the extension that came with my lift. my question is this. assuming i cycle the suspension, and check brake lines, coil seating and any other aspects, could i get longer shocks up front or add something like a shock extension(probably new shocks) to help keep all 4 wheels on the ground? and how much shock shaft should be showing when the shock is collapsed i dont want to bottom them out.

the rubicon express site says the shocks are only 24.14" extended and 14.80" collapsed so i figure as long as my brake lines wont be taught, and the coil wont become unseated i should be able to add a longer shock.

also i am running an adams driveshaft up front so i wont need to worry about the OEM driveline issues

thanks in advance.

If you're at full bump with shaft to spare - then yes you can get longer shocks.
24" extended is pretty short, granted you only have 2.5 inches of lift.
Have you measured your actual lift height gained?

A general rule of thumb - is you want at least .25" of shaft showing at absolute full bump (bumpstop to metal cup not foam).

Remember the upper stop compresses so you want to be measuring to the metal cup above.

Wethy

If you're at full bump with shaft to spare - then yes you can get longer shocks.
24" extended is pretty short, granted you only have 2.5 inches of lift.
Have you measured your actual lift height gained?

A general rule of thumb - is you want at least .25" of shaft showing at absolute full bump (bumpstop to metal cup not foam).

Remember the upper stop compresses so you want to be measuring to the metal cup above.

i have 2" from the top of the extension to the the bottom of the foam cup so its more like 3- 3.5" total space(once bumpstop is compressed). and i thought they might be fairly short. but they came with the kit.

J

JKDream

i have 2" from the top of the extension to the the bottom of the foam cup so its more like 3- 3.5" total space(once bumpstop is compressed). and i thought they might be fairly short. but they came with the kit.

Your best bet is going to be getting a proper measurement of your full bump and then looking at collapsed lengths of longer shocks.
Once you know what the exact distance is in your uptravel - you can start looking for a longer shock set up.
Rancho's 4" inch lift lengths are probably near what you would need, and you would gain a good amount of downtravel.
I know I've said it already but make sure you are getting a proper measurement, you don't want to have to add more bump stop than you already have if you're almost riding on them now.

I personally run 3 inches of lift (actual height) - but quite long (28.75 ext) shocks. But I'm bumpstopped for high steer - so I chose large downtravel opposed to up travel.
My kit originally came with 25 inches extended, but in reality I could fit much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wethy

Your best bet is going to be getting a proper measurement of your full bump and then looking at collapsed lengths of longer shocks.
Once you know what the exact distance is in your uptravel - you can start looking for a longer shock set up.
Rancho's 4" inch lift lengths are probably near what you would need, and you would gain a good amount of downtravel.
I know I've said it already but make sure you are getting a proper measurement, you don't want to have to add more bump stop than you already have if you're almost riding on them now.

I personally run 3 inches of lift (actual height) - but quite long (28.75 ext) shocks. But I'm bumpstopped for high steer - so I chose large downtravel opposed to up travel.
My kit originally came with 25 inches extended, but in reality I could fit much longer.

i do plan on getting proper measurements before i go ahead and do anything. i just wondered about the theory side of things before i go to the hassle of actually removing the shocks and checking everything

Top Bottom