Poison Spyder Steel Crusher Flares

bekel

So I have been thinking about getting these does anyone here run them and how do you like/dislike about them

OhNoTheJiggies

Yup, look sweet. But I worry about hitting a tree and damaging more than expected. Keep tossing around the idea of trimming my stock painted flares instead.
If you go slowly on most obstacles, you can get away with bumps and dings, but if you slide down a hill and the fender wants to be the first one to meet the tree at the bottom, you'll gain some extra damage.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I take it this goes for all metal flares? I was considering the evos in the front and evo fenderless corners in the rear.

Yep, all metal flares. I see a lot of rear fenderless lately, don't know if those flares take more hits than the fronts usually. I'm sure someone has the answer to that.

gmb425

They look great but a big hit to them will cause body damage - I have seen it happen.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs
Do you recommend cutting the stock fenders? Are fenders a waste of money? I do not care, entirely, for the look of my Jeep, more so, the function. Is there any advantage of aftermarket fenders over cut-stock fenders? Sorry for the new guy question; just trying to figure things out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

rlee

I like the look of no fenders or some of the skinny's that are available. Where I live you need to have tire coverage or the Mounties get cranky. My jeep came with bushwackers already installed and I really didn't like them. If it still had the factory flares I would've cut them.
This winter I installed set of PS aluminum crusher flares. Fit and finish were good. They have a nice curve to the top unlike some. They come with mounting hardware and brackets to strengthen them to the body. They look good, if that is a concern.
The bad, they don't cover a 12.5tire with a 4.5 backspace rim. There is about a inch sticking out both sides. They make a wider one but I think the extra width would look stupid, jmo.
I think if you slid into a tree it would do some damage to the body, but I think the same would happen to my Bushwackers. There is companies that make removable flares but then where would you keep them? I always have to drive to the trail.

Journeyman

I'm rolling with a set. I really enjoy the look on my jeep. I'm not a fan of plastic bumpers/fenders. Just so you guys know there is some internal bracing that comes with the fenders. You are not just bolting them to sheet metal. Yes obviously if you hit anything hard enough there's going to be damage, but mine are pretty damn stout. I can stand on mine without any worries. I'm am more of a slower cautious wheeler though. I tend to work my way over and through obstacles vs a ton of skinny pedal. Would I buy these again-hmm not sure. I would probably start by trimming my stock flares and go from there.

mo0s3

So I have been thinking about getting these does anyone here run them and how do you like/dislike about them

They are great fenders and well supported, if you watch what your doing you will be ok. As far as body damage if you slide off something you would do body damage just as easy with the plastic flares. The plastic will just give you a few more inches before you hit the body anyhow.
Either way you go it is your jeep :)
Personally i have had metal flares hit at rubicon and received this damage IMG_4799.jpg and my brother hit the same rock on Old Sluice with the trimmed flares and he received more damage but thats what ya get at 12 at night lol

gmb425

They are great fenders and well supported, if you watch what your doing you will be ok. As far as body damage if you slide off something you would do body damage just as easy with the plastic flares. The plastic will just give you a few more inches before you hit the body anyhow.
Either way you go it is your jeep :)
Personally i have had metal flares hit at rubicon and received this damage View attachment 254590 and my brother hit the same rock on Old Sluice with the trimmed flares and he received more damage but thats what ya get at 12 at night lol

Thanks for sharing your experience

GRBG TRK http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?38800-Garbage-Truck-(GRBG-TRK)

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I went with the aluminum Poison Spyder front flares. There is an inherent risk of body damage with these, but I didn't get them for trail protection. I 100% chose them as a visual model accepting the risk of any damage if they take a hard enough hit.

Draconianwinter

I went with the aluminum Poison Spyder front flares. There is an inherent risk of body damage with these, but I didn't get them for trail protection. I 100% chose them as a visual model accepting the risk of any damage if they take a hard enough hit.

Mhm. At least they do utilize the inner subframe not just bolt to the outer body panels like most of them do

sent from your basement

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Mhm. At least they do utilize the inner subframe not just bolt to the outer body panels like most of them do

sent from your basement

There are the internal reinforcement braces, but they don't save the fender when you push in on it with the weight of the Jeep. All the photos Poison Spyder uses show them putting weight on top of the fender flare, which doesn't actually push in on it, and it seems to hold weight at that angle. But a hard hit on the trail from the outside of the flare will push it right in.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I take it this goes for all metal flares? I was considering the evos in the front and evo fenderless corners in the rear.

Yep, this would go for ALL metal fenders and even hard plastic ones like the kind that Xenon makes. I have seen them cause body damage as well. That being said, the EVO fronts and fenderless rear corners do look nice.

Do you recommend cutting the stock fenders? Are fenders a waste of money? I do not care, entirely, for the look of my Jeep, more so, the function. Is there any advantage of aftermarket fenders over cut-stock fenders? Sorry for the new guy question; just trying to figure things out.

What I can tell you is that I have been running trimmed factory flares on Moby for almost 10 years now. I had run Bushwacker flat fenders on Nemo, our old Sunburst Orange JKU that we used to have but when we got Rubicat, I went back to trimmed factory fenders. During all that time, I have seen ZERO body damage caused by my fenders as they will bend, fold or tear off well before they can do any damage. Granted, I'm just a mall crawler who never wheels his Jeep so you can take all that for what it's worth.

I'm rolling with a set. I really enjoy the look on my jeep. I'm not a fan of plastic bumpers/fenders. Just so you guys know there is some internal bracing that comes with the fenders. You are not just bolting them to sheet metal. Yes obviously if you hit anything hard enough there's going to be damage, but mine are pretty damn stout. I can stand on mine without any worries. I'm am more of a slower cautious wheeler though. I tend to work my way over and through obstacles vs a ton of skinny pedal. Would I buy these again-hmm not sure. I would probably start by trimming my stock flares and go from there.

Like I said, I love the look of them but I've never seen a rock standing on a fender. What I have seen are these fenders and other hard fenders coming down hard with the full weigh of the Jeep and on a boulder that catches the bottom of the fender. While the fender took the hit great, the upper cut hit caused it to buckle in the body panel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is great info. I just assumed (I know, I know) that the stronger the better. Will def be starting with trimmed stock fenders. Thx

eh, it's a safe "assumption" to make. Back in the day, way before ANYONE was making any tube fenders yet, I really thought I'd wanted a set once they came out. I only trimmed my factory fenders because it was the only option available at the time. After fenders started coming out and I saw what could happen, I decided to just stick with what I had.

Draconianwinter

There are the internal reinforcement braces, but they don't save the fender when you push in on it with the weight of the Jeep. All the photos Poison Spyder uses show them putting weight on top of the fender flare, which doesn't actually push in on it, and it seems to hold weight at that angle. But a hard hit on the trail from the outside of the flare will push it right in.

Not at all disagreeing with you are saying. All I meant was that they do take a bit more of a hit than most. Personally while I am considering getting them at some point it will be the narrow ones so I am less likely to hit anything with them, and for looks not for protection. Aside from that I will be just staying with cut fenders for a while. And may well but some that have been taken off another jeep to see if I can get them cut a bit more evenly.

sent from your basement

Top Bottom