Damn rodents! Please help before I do something I shouldn't WAL fam...

Journeyman

IMG_1317.jpg
So this wknd I discovered a little mouse house on the top of the motor of my 13 jku underneath the engine cover. So the little bastard chewed through the insulation on three of 20ish gauge wires on the wire harness, but amazingly enough didn't damage the conductors. One of the wires was easy enough to separate and put a temp tape job on, but the other two are twisted together before the split apart and there's no way to separate them without cutting them. My plan is to cut these three, then install heat shrink and then butt slice them back together and apply heat shrink accordingly.
I stopped by the jeep dealership today and they informed me they would repair this exact way. But this was from a service rep and not a tech!
The jeep still runs and drives but has been popping an implausible communications code and my sway bar disco light has been flashing on startup. I'm thinking it's hopefully the two wires twisted with the conductors exposed tracking together without the insulation separating them.
Thanks for the help and thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
View attachment 255184
So this wknd I discovered a little mouse house on the top of the motor of my 13 jku underneath the engine cover. So the little bastard chewed through the insulation on three of 20ish gauge wires on the wire harness, but amazingly enough didn't damage the conductors. One of the wires was easy enough to separate and put a temp tape job on, but the other two are twisted together before the split apart and there's no way to separate them without cutting them. My plan is to cut these three, then install heat shrink and then butt slice them back together and apply heat shrink accordingly.
I stopped by the jeep dealership today and they informed me they would repair this exact way. But this was from a service rep and not a tech!
The jeep still runs and drives but has been popping an implausible communications code and my sway bar disco light has been flashing on startup. I'm thinking it's hopefully the two wires twisted with the conductors exposed tracking together without the insulation separating them.
Thanks for the help and thoughts!

I'm gonna bet there are other areas where they chewed thru insulation and that's what's causing your issues.

check the harness at the sway bar disconnect and basically the entire harness from the pic location down their line of travel.

That sucks...little bastards! time fore some mouse traps or mouse poison bars hanging under the Jeep

jkruiser

Try the old fashion peanut butter and mousetrap, rat poison pellets, and consistency with the traps will get rid of those rodents. Also get rid of what's ever attracting them to the area.

dillard09

Can you keep the hood up where you park? That will help as it takes away spme of their hiding spots and keep them from hanging out under the hood. Had the same problem on my wife's BMW. They chewed the wheels speed sensor. We leave the hood up now and haven't had anymore problems.
Good luck! I had those dirty bastards!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

I'm gonna bet there are other areas where they chewed thru insulation and that's what's causing your issues.

check the harness at the sway bar disconnect and basically the entire harness from the pic location down their line of travel.

That sucks...little bastards! time fore some mouse traps or mouse poison bars hanging under the Jeep

Good call, I haven't checked down by the sway bar yet. I looked all over the engine bay expecting to see chewed up stuff everywhere. But the only spot so far has been right where the nest was sitting.
Oh trust me the poison bait boxes have been put out. We have a outdoor mouser cat, but she's getting old and apparently not doing her only job anymore.

WJCO

Meme King
I agree there is likely more damage elsewhere. As far as repairing the wires, the way you described will be good.

Journeyman

Yep. Always disconnect the battery when repairing wires.
Yup I'm no tech, but I'm slowly learning a few things
My friend had a problem like this. He used to leave moth balls in the engine bay every night. That seemed to help.
I've heard that. I also heard a bar of soap under the hood. Irish springs I think?

Check your air box. They like to make nests in there.
Already did.
get some silicone rubber tape to wrap the wires, it seals up nice and waterproof tight and can withstand high temps so it doesn't come off
Do you mean for after I splice and heat shrink each wire to wrap the bundle back up.

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-442055-...Fix+Self+Fusing+Silicone+Rubber+Tape+(442055)

Kaylinator

Apparently bars of Irish Spring soap keep mice away for some reason. Brother-in-law has a few collector cars and throws a couple bars in them. Seems to do the trick.

🇨🇦 eh?

jesse3638

Hooked
We will get them in the fire engine compartments over the winter when they are parked. A Pierce rep said to place dryer sheets in the compartments. Maybe pin some to the hood insulation. Plus it'll smell downey fresh..:)

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

I deal with this constantly. The key is to leave it open. Open the hood and take off the engine cover. They will not bed in an exposed area. I plug the air intake just cause also. I also make a point to at least fire it up and let it run for 10-15 minutes every few days. I'm guessing your jeep is not a daily driver.

YouTube water bucket mouse trap. It's the only way.

Top Bottom