Photography tips, tricks and hints.

trailraider

as the title says.
I like to think there are several amateur and maybe professional photographers who can help with questions for others.

i love the look of night photography myself , but have issues with some of my settings. My photos don't come out as crystal clear/crisp as i would like. i open my aperture up as much as possible and long exposure times(varied) but they aren't as crisp as i would like.

is it because i don't have prime lenses ? or could it be the camera body itself? do you need to have a fast shutter to get the crispness? which then leads to the question "what settings are you using?" maybe my aperture is not good enough?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Lenses have a great deal to do with sharpness but a heavy tripod and a smaller aperture like f/16 could also improve sharpness. If you're camera has a mirror up option you should use it along with your cable release. What brand lens are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RonG

Star move and, depending on the length of your exposure, they can move enough to blur.

If you are shooting with film (old school) and using fast film (ISO 400 and higher), the images will appear granier when printed. This will also make the image less sharp. With digital cameras, this effect is called "noise", but the effect is the same.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

trailraider

Im an amateur myself but this link has some good advice

https://petapixel.com/2015/01/06/avoid-star-trails-following-500-rule/

thank you

Lenses have a great deal to do with sharpness but a heavy tripod and a smaller aperture like f/16 could also improve sharpness. If you're camera has a mirror up option you should use it along with your cable release. What brand lens are you using?

I currently just have two , both are Nikon lens 70/300vr and a 18/55vr. i have tries running a small f stop bit then the shutter has to be open longer causing the star chasers. although i think it was a 22 i tried

Also, set your camera to manual focus and your lens to infinity.

this i have done.

When taking pics of caught fish hold fish away from.you towards camera so fish looks bigger.😁

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's like manscaping, makes it look bigger.

thanks fo the input guys. as soon as the clouds clear(in June from the looks of it) i wall head back out.

JAGS

Hooked
I just point my iPhone and push the round button on the screen.

Ha ha.

Many moons ago I was really into photography and even developing. Tells you how long ago as now it's all digital. It's an awesome hobby, but costly to have the right gear. Check out outdoor photography guide for some great tips and newsletter.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Anyone watch FroKnowsPhoto? Not even sure if that dude is still relevant. Tried to get into photography many moons ago. Watched a ton of video and learned about all the settings, etc. Just could never get my shots to look good IMO. So now I just point my iPhone and press the button :yup:

mo0s3

For long exposures a tripod is your friend.
If your aperture is wide open the exposure will be alot less. If you want very crisp details i would do a small aperture and a very long exposure. This is all done with bracketing so you will see what works best for the desired effect.
Night time photography is a fun process and will net crazy cool results:)

Frydaddy

For general tips, I learned from a photography class (to fulfill the art requirement) that helped me greatly.

1. Get too-close to your subject. All that wasted space around a subject is lost.

2. Fuck flash. (yay for cool teachers!) There are few cases that need it, but the rest are much better without.

3. The sky is boring. rather, get some foreground instead of wasting half your picture on empty space.

4. snap, snap, click. Take a ton of pictures. With electronics these days, you don't have to wait for the perfect shot, just delete the crappy ones later.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
For general tips, I learned from a photography class (to fulfill the art requirement) that helped me greatly.

1. Get too-close to your subject. All that wasted space around a subject is lost.

2. Fuck flash. (yay for cool teachers!) There are few cases that need it, but the rest are much better without.

3. The sky is boring. rather, get some foreground instead of wasting half your picture on empty space.

4. snap, snap, click. Take a ton of pictures. With electronics these days, you don't have to wait for the perfect shot, just delete the crappy ones later.

oh I dunno there are times the sky is awash with things worth getting in that lens ......... cloudcolors.jpg lightning.jpg lightning1.jpg lightning2.jpg

My wife and I were in San Antonio for Memorial Day weekend. We spent on full day in Austin and a night at Enchanted Rock. Got to try out our Canon EOS for the first time. Here are a couple pics that came out decent. Will need a lot more practice at this for sure.

Enchanted Rock_Austin_StarPic_2_6.7.17.jpg

Enchanted Rock_Austin_StarPic_6.7.17.jpg

Exodus 4x4

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My wife and I were in San Antonio for Memorial Day weekend. We spent on full day in Austin and a night at Enchanted Rock. Got to try out our Canon EOS for the first time. Here are a couple pics that came out decent. Will need a lot more practice at this for sure.

View attachment 262351

View attachment 262352

Nice shots, Mike! I've tossed around getting a camera, like that. IDK if I have the patience to learn to use one correctly.

Nice shots, Mike! I've tossed around getting a camera, like that. IDK if I have the patience to learn to use one correctly.

Thanks Clay. I thought the same thing when I bought it. There is a ridiculous amount of online resources that tell you what to have your manual settings at for the different type of photos you're trying to take. Looking forward to messing around with it a lot more.

Top Bottom