DIY JK Trunk deck and security enclosure

JAGS

Hooked
This isn’t the toughest project out there. I mean, even a JAGS could do it. I had posted some info about this in my ENVY thread. Received some good feedback and had taken pictures along the way. Since I likely won’t have very opportunities to do a write up, figured I’d take a stab so others can see more pics and maybe that will help if you want to build your own.

My concept: Based on other decks and enclosures I’ve seen in mass production and other custom ones like MTG and Sharkey have built.

My goal: Maximize storage space under the deck. As a sports coach, I wanted to be able to store things like chairs and soccer balls with no problem. Make it easy to remove the entire deck if need be. For offroading trips, want it to secure things like tools and spare parts (axle/drive shafts). Have it be able to hold my new ARB 50qt fridge and slide on top.

Materials:

Tape Measure
Masking Tape
Box cutter/exacto knife
staple gun
protractor
hammer/nails
wood strips (I used free paint stirrers)
4 ft - 2 x 1/2 inch cheap lumber
cardboard
Jigsaw
Circular Saw
5-6 5inch L brackets
2-4 4inch L brackets
2 5 7/8 x 5 7/8 heavy duty roofing L Brackets
Smaller/other brackets as needed
9/16 metal drill bit
4-6 Half inch hex head nuts/bolts/washers
4 3/8 inch hex head nuts/bolts/washers
Wood screws varying lengths
I sheet ¾ plywood
10 x 2 (4ft)
Paint – 1 can primer, 2 BK paint, 1 plastidip
Outdoor carpet
Carpet adhesive
Dometic fridge slide

Started by creating a template for the top. My general goal was to have approx 9” inches of clearance under the deck. I knew by testing that height, the fridge would fit (close) and I could get chairs and soccer balls to fit. Trimmed out the wood to 8 3/4” and used the stirrer sticks and some nails to keep things together. Then used cardboard and the protractor to mirror the lines of the trunk. A bit harder since I had a 2012 with sub. Secured cardboard to sticks using staple gun. Left about ½ clearance all the way around.

I knew from pre-measuring, that the max dimensions of the deck would be 48 x 31. So I had HD trim my sheet to that rough size. The sheet yielded two tops and enough trim to use elsewhere.

Transferred the template to the rough cut top and traced. Then used a jigsaw to cut it to the markings.

1 Template Base.jpg
2 Cardboard Template.jpg
3 Template Transfer to top.jpg
4 Jigsaw top.jpg

Here is pic of the top trimmed and setting on top of the template for a rough fit.

5 Top rough test fit.jpg

Initially I thought I would use just the trunk tie down bolts and 4” and 5” L brackets. It worked, but I was not happy with the strength I was getting. So back the hardware with a new idea. Picked up two of the larger construction grade L brackets and planned to use the rear seat bolts to secure. But the holes in the brackets were just slightly too small. So I drilled the holes big enough. The brackets fit perfectly and blended in well once painted. I used two 5” L in the mid section and painted those black as well.

6 Supports take one.jpg
7 Final bracket used.jpg
9 rear support bracket.jpg
10 support to seat bolts.jpg
11 support to mid section.jpg
12 support to mid section two.jpg

At this point I used some of the extra plywood and the 10 x 2 to make the front panel and what would be my two support legs and trimmed as I wanted and then did another test fit. After the test fit I marked off underneath where the supports were then flipped everything over and basically added as many L brackets underneath as I could. Wanted to help distribute the weight of the fridge or anything on top of the deck. I also added what I will call a streamer across the rear section using a ripped piece of the 10 x 2 drilled wood screws from the top down. Did this to prevent/limit any bowing of the top. You can’t see it too much, but there is an overhang on the other side and I used smaller L brackets on that side as well.

13 rough test fit 2.jpg
14 deck and support structure .jpg

Then it was on to primer and paint. I decided to use plastidip on the top to add a little more weather protection to the plywood. At HD I found some outdoor carpet that was already cut to 48 x 36. This particular carpet was variegated in color. Use whatever you want or can find so long as it is outdoor grade (my recommendation). Trimmed the carpet, added adhesive. I used loctite polyurethane construction adhesive that would work on many surfaces and was rated indoor/outdoor.

15 'paint 1.jpg
16 Paint 2.jpg
17 Paint 3.jpg
18 plastidip top.jpg
19 deck ready for carpet.jpg
20 trim carpet.jpg
22 carpet on.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Time for final fitment. Everything was a tight fit, in terms of bolting things up. The rear seat brackets had to be set loose and then bolt in the mid section supports. Then go back to the seat nuts and make sure they are torqued to factory specs. Here it is all bolted in. As I had hoped, just enough behind the seats to fit a spare rear DS. I can take the deck out by simply undoing 8 bolts to the support brackets or the two seat nuts and 4 mid section bolts.

23 Inside view final.jpg
24 extra storage.jpg
25 Deck complete.jpg

If you don’t have a fridge, you’re done. If you do or are thinking about it, jump ahead. I'll post more on the fridge slide itself.

WJCO

Meme King
Sweet, man. We're actually going to be starting ours hopefully in the next month with similar materials. This write-up helped a lot. And if you can do it, I know I can do it :cheesy:

JAGS

Hooked
Installing the fridge and slide is a matter of 1/4 inches in clearance, if that. Main thing here is that I searched out and found what I think is a good alternative to the ARB slide. It is the dometic slide unit for basically half the price. Thing is solid and install was straightforward. I decided to use bolts so that I could remove the slide when not needed. Here are some more final pics.

26 Dometic Fridge Slide.jpg
27 Bolt in fridge Slide.jpg
28 Fridge Straps.jpg
29 Fridge Straps 2.jpg
30 Fridge slide extended.jpg
31 Slide tight fit.jpg
32 Fridge tight fit 2.jpg
IMG_1462.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Holy shit! You did that by yourself?...haha. All kidding aside, while I do not have an ARB fridge I really like the idea of a small deck like that. Mainly for secure tool and part storage underneath. I have been looking at the Tuffy security deck for a couple years but the price has kept me from pulling the trigger on it plus it sits up a lot higher. This looks like it would be a cheaper alternative. Thanks for posting this!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Looks great Jason. One bit of advice, you might want to cut the extra off of the bolts going through the deck, or even reverse them if you can so the round head is on the bottom of the deck. They tend to catch on or scratch everything you put under the deck.

JAGS

Hooked
Nice write up! Looks like a perfect wedding gift! [emoji6][emoji12] I'll have to make sure Ray checks out this thread. Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well done! Looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks great

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice write up! I might build one of these less the slide. [emoji1303]

Great idea. I've been looking to do something like this.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, glad you all liked how it came out. You should give it a go. Fun project. [emoji106]

JAGS

Hooked
Sweet, man. We're actually going to be starting ours hopefully in the next month with similar materials. This write-up helped a lot. And if you can do it, I know I can do it :cheesy:

Holy shit! You did that by yourself?...haha. All kidding aside, while I do not have an ARB fridge I really like the idea of a small deck like that. Mainly for secure tool and part storage underneath. I have been looking at the Tuffy security deck for a couple years but the price has kept me from pulling the trigger on it plus it sits up a lot higher. This looks like it would be a cheaper alternative. Thanks for posting this!

No joke right. Like the Geico caveman. Lol.

And definitely cheaper Jesse. I haven't really added it up, but I would say $100 or so. The whole thing start to finish took three days over a few weekends.

JAGS

Hooked
Looks great Jason. One bit of advice, you might want to cut the extra off of the bolts going through the deck, or even reverse them if you can so the round head is on the bottom of the deck. They tend to catch on or scratch everything you put under the deck.

Thanks mike. Good call on the slide bolts. I was considering extra washers, but I like the idea of just reversing them. [emoji41]

jesse3638

Hooked
No joke right. Like the Geico caveman. Lol.

And definitely cheaper Jesse. I haven't really added it up, but I would say $100 or so. The whole thing start to finish took three days over a few weekends.

I think I actually have all this stuff in my shed. I just have 1/2" plywood so I may build a frame for it to sit on. Maybe I'll give it a go in the coming weekends. Baseball and gymnastics take a lot of time now..haha

Top Bottom